View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Generator powerd caravan 

4 100W lights, 2400W fan heater,van refridgerator,electric pedestal fan on full,overhead withdrawal kitchen fan on high,2 fluros.

it worked out to 3300

Cheers.. Rod

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:18 pm

The honda EU2.0i is rated at 1600w (@240v). It will peak at 2000w. I have seen them tested at 2500w without incident but it is impossible to go to 3300w constant, impossible. Something in you calculations is not right.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Post Honda a no-show with our air-con
Guys, we have a Honda EU2 genny with a Heritage 21'6" van. It does NOT run the aircon. We need up to 3600watts at start up!
I have chased this topic on this and another forum and the opinion of the tech minded (count me out) all said - No WAY.
So we have had it to the auto-elec and he said NO WAY!!!!
Perhaps there are some smaller air-cons?

tomcarm

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

Post Honda a no-show with our air-con
Guys, we have a Honda EU2 genny with a Heritage 21'6" van. It does NOT run the aircon. We need up to 3600watts at start up!
I have chased this topic on this and another forum and the opinion of the tech minded (count me out) all said - No WAY.
So we have had it to the auto-elec and he said NO WAY!!!!
Perhaps there are some smaller air-cons?

tomcarm

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

Post Honda just starts ours
The Honda EU2 just starts the air-con in our Roadstar its a Dometic model Cal 136.312 with an elec heater. I have to start it on low and work up as it occasionally kicks the overload out (only on start up) If the battery chg is on at start up its a no go.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:19 pm

A call the the mob in the second post should resolve that :)

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:14 am

We plan on staying at outback camping sites and we were wondering what size generator would run the aircon and TV comfortably in a 19ft full caravan in really hot wather - also have to take into account noise factors so that other campers dont get annoyed
Technical information or some personal experiences info greatly appreciated
Thank you

for you to SUCCESSFULLY run all of that you definitely need over 3kW of generating power.

It is always better to have a slightly larger generator running at less than full power.
For a start it runs quieter. Fuel consumption is less!
Make sure it is an inverter type generator to give you smooth 240V.

with a small generator you either kill appliances or the generator, or it keeps tripping all the time.

I am going through the same excersise at the moment and for a 20 ft caravan with aircon a 3.3kW from Genquip may be the answer.
I have not seen or heard it yet, so I may change my mind!!!! (see mag No.122)

80S Land Cruiser 40th (petrol)[1998]
20ft Jayco Sterling C/V (20.64-2)[2006]

Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:19 am

I have a Honda 20i. It runs my Dometic aircon comfortably.

However, the first time I used it I fell for a trap.

I fired up the aircon and away it went. I was so pleased I immediately turned it over to maximum cool. The generator "overloaded" and stopped.

I had forgotten that I had the Battery charger going full bore at the same time! Image I turned off the battery charger, and the genny ran the AC on high - no struggle. After a few minutes I turned on the charger and it ran that as well.

Go Figure!Image

One more trick. After overloading, the Honda will not start again until the start switch has been turned off - pause - then on. Some sort of a reset. Yes it is in the manual, but I must have missed it!ImageImage

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:41 am

When we bought our honda it came with a list of appliances and their wattages. i used that list to deduce 3300.

I made an error too,it was 3 100w Lights not 4..

AND that was after it was runin and running on ECONO then cutting into full output.
For the first few seconds after cut in the fluros went out and the lights dimmed severely but it just came back and ran it..

Unless the wattages are different to the honda list..

Rod

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:03 pm

I am also interested in this topic regarding the purchase of a generator. I own a Windsor Genesis Caravan that has battery power, battery charger, air conditioner (Wren AIRcommand), microwave and lighting. I read some information on the Honda EU20i and obtained the following information. Specifications: Model Name: EU20i, Max. Watts: 2000
Rat. Watts 240v/50Hz: 1600, 12 Volt DC/Amps: 8 @ 12V, Battery Charging: Yes. Is there anyone out there owning a caravan like Alan & Chris or a caravan like mine, Windsor Genesis, that have used generator power in these vans previously.

John and Chris

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next