Brake controllers

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
Les in the hills
Confident

Brake controllers

Post by Les in the hills » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi all,
Which is the most popular controller ?
The time activated type or the proportianal type. I tow a single axel 1400kg van + my lunch
Les
Les in the hills

Cyclone
Rising star

Re: Brake controllers

Post by Cyclone » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 am

He Les
I’m am currently using the Redarc TowPro. It works very well. I use it in auto mode and forget its there. I have such little need to touch it I keep the instructions in the glovebox. Because it’s so long since I made adjustments I can’t remember how to do it.
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 am

X2 for the Redarc Tow Pro. Definitely proportional type whatever you end up with though.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Cyclone wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 am
He Les
I’m am currently using the Redarc TowPro. It works very well. I use it in auto mode and forget its there. I have such little need to touch it I keep the instructions in the glovebox. Because it’s so long since I made adjustments I can’t remember how to do it.
Sid
Same.
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Les in the hills
Confident

Post by Les in the hills » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:01 am

Thankyou all for your replies.When I bought my van I was guided by the rep to get an
Haymanreece compact iq 0600 controler.New to electric brakes ..with no knowledge of other brands.
I bought it and installed it prior to collecting the van...aprox 1350 kg. The control is " proportional " and it works well for a bloke that doesn't know any different.
Refer to my last post on "Electric brake problems" as to how I ended up using it.
Thanks again
Regards Les
Les in the hills

nsgnomad
An old hand

Post by nsgnomad » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:06 pm

I am trying to decide between the Redarc towpro elite and the HR CompactIQ brake controllers for my new tug. (Van ATM 2900 twin axle).
The Redarc unit seems to be popular with happy users. Are there any users of the CompactIQ controllers that would like to comment on what they think of them?
Les in the hills, are you still satisfied with yours after 12 months use?
Cheers, Roger

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi Les,
I also use the Redarc Tow Pro and think it is one of the best and it only needs the dial to be mounted for access the main box can be put anywhere.

I had the Tekonsha P3 on my old vehicle and it was also good and had plenty of info available on its little LED display.

I also find I forget it is there as it works so smoothly and never needs any adjustment.
The Redarc has two modes of operation and like others I use the auto setting but there is a small problem when using auto or I think it is a problem. If you are going down a hill and you wish to apply the van brakes only manually by pushing the button I don’t think braking is as effective as if you are in manual mode. Auto requires retardation to work and if on auto this is not the case until the vehicle brakes are operated.

If I had a need to replace the Redarc I would buy another Redarc!

JR
:razz:

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:27 pm

I have the Tekonsha P3, because REDARC didn't make aproportional controller when I bought it
Of course 2 weeks later they did
REDARC is the way to go if you need to get a controller, AND they are made right here in SA

Not at Home
Getting the hang of it

Post by Not at Home » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:46 pm

My choice every time would be the Redarc Tow Pro elite, having had the others, the Tow Pro leaves them for dead.

Just my opinion :D
Not at Home

Dmax
Concept X12
2 Dogs (Beau & Chrissie)
SWMBO'd (The Boss)

Member: Travellers Chat Forum Proboards

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 am

Archer63 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:24 pm
Cyclone wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 am
He Les
Sid
Same.
I always test the brake controller before hitting the main highway. You really should be familiar with its workings. Also I use the settings when needed in hilly country. Mine has a button that rotates between heavy or light pressure on the vans brakes.
Some times I like a bit heavier braking on hills and busy metro areas.
But I know hat you mean ....it is easy to just forget about it. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Return to “General Tech Talk”