Heron Q Air Conditioner RS

Tech questions answered by the forum 'brains trust'
GerryP
An old hand

Re: Heron Q Air Conditioner RS

Post by GerryP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:54 pm

J.REEVES wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:49 pm

The air con techo has been in the trade 40 years. He had the gauge only connected on one fitting so maybe it was on the suction side but I have no doubt he new his trade.

JR
:razz:
Yep, that would've been suction side as that's where you put the charge in. He's off the hook then. LOL
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

Gerry M
An old hand

Post by Gerry M » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:59 pm

JR,
depending on how keen you are, the big hammer store carries about 4 industrial gasses and Nitrogen is one of them.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

bobsa
Confident

Post by bobsa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am

Jr
dont use any silicons once you have that stuff on the pipe you will never weld it
you dont need nitro on such a small pipe any good fridgy can weld it ,
I have repaired many a fretted condensor
be sure that the other return bends are not going the same way
If you want you could ring the manufacturer for a new condensor they are made in Adelaide
Air command 954 Port Rd, Albert Park SA 5014
Phone: (08) 8345 8444
Yes R22 is very expensive now that the government has levies are on it , I think R22 is finished in 2020
and a replacement drop in gas will be used, you can ask the guys at Air command about it
iIf it is not to expensive I would go a new one plus a new solder in drier
cheers Bob

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:43 am

Thanks guys good info,
I think the hole is just before the bend and just after the pipe support plate it’s just a straight bit about15 to 20mm long. The 180 degree bend is silver soldered after the hole. I need to take the cover off again and double check and if possible post a photo.

Now this question maybe a trade secret but is R22 explosive and if the condenser has no pressure in it would it be safe to silver solder with say blue tip silver solder and not purged with nitrogen?

JR

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:00 pm

JR, as Bobsa has stated, you could get away without nitrogen as the filter/drier should catch any scale produced. Just try and keep as much air out of the system as possible and make sure that a very good vacuum is pulled on the system before recharging.

R22 is a regulated substance requiring a licence to both use and buy, so no doubt you'll need to find a fridgie to recharge it anyway. If you can, get a new filter/drier fitted.

To answer your questions... no, R22 is not explosive, but the burnt gas is a phosgene, so avoid breathing in any burnt vapours as they aren't real good for you. Having said that, I've probably breathed in my fair share during my working life and there's nothing wrong with me... :roll: LOL

If you use blue tip, you'll need flux. That's OK, but brown tip is easier as no flux required and is much easier to build up if required. Just make sure you clean the pipes up with emery or steel wool prior to soldering.

By the way, just for interest, AirCommand is now owned by Dometic. They were acquired by Atwood in 2013, then by Dometic in 2015 if I recall correctly. It was a good, family owned business and I knew the owner quite well... but I guess we all have to retire at some stage.

Cheers
Cheers, Gerry

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:55 pm

OK, I have silver soldered the hole using blue tip as it melts at a lower temperature and I was frightened I would melt the brown tip solder very close to the hole.
The following may make an air condition technician cringe!
I purged the system with CO2 and pressurised it to find the leak.
I found the leak on the back of a condenser inlet pipe. This could be the reason for the failure as this pipe has a lot of junk hanging on it and it was more a cut than a hole where the tube passes through the aluminium locating plate for the condenser tubes. These copper tubes are not very thick.
After four goes at silver soldering blind I then could use a mirror to see if I had covered the cut so the soldering was by feel it looks terrible but I think it has worked.
Pressure tested at 140psi for five hours no pressure loss actually a small pressure gain probably due to temperature rise in the garage 40 degrees in the afternoon.
Evacuated to -98KPa and it held over 24hrs well it did loose about 5KPa.
I managed to obtain a set of very old gauges and a monster vacuum pump and used my Mig CO2 gas with my oxy bottle regulator, 140psi was as high as the regulator would go.
Hopefully tomorrow I will see if we can add 0.7Kgs of R22 and hope there is not too much copper oxide in the pipes that could do damage.

View of bottom half of air condition outside unit.
Overview.JPG
Work Tools
Over View.JPG
Location of cut or split
Locate hole.JPG
The Terrible weld and the oxy torch tip modification to reach the soldering location also used 1/4" plate to protect wall and special high temperature material to protect the wires
Soldering.JPG
My vacuum gauge
gauge.JPG
JR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 pm

You've done well mate. Very impressed also that you managed to not melt any wiring. It certainly looks like a tight place to work in. That weld looks pretty good to me with a nice little bit of build up, just to be sure. :)

The pressure and vacuum test looks good. Using CO2 will reduce any scale, so I doubt you'll have any worries. Just make sure you use that vacuum pump for a while to remove any moisture (from atmosphere) in the system before charging.

Bet you feel super good having fixed it and potentially saving a heap of $'s. :D
Cheers, Gerry

Return to “General Tech Talk”