I'm new, be nice!

Re: Building My Home Made Caravan by JR

Post by +AW01+ » Thu May 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Awesome thanks heaps - Will get in touch with Jayco

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm

hi JR just working my way thru your "impressive" build....between yours and bussy's build any first time van builders job would be made so simple...
as i am not that far off the internal fit out stage i have found the incredible detailing of your and allan (bussy) build i feel guilty for taking the easy option of using
your builds as an outline of what to do..

with my limited experience with vans i have come to the conclusion that i would never buy a used van or even a new van as i imagine that most will have problems of some
sort or another...and internal rot being the worst.

i think yours and allans build should be made into a manual of some sort and be required reading for budding builders....i thank you for going to the trouble of
documenting the build for the benifit of others
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Joe, you are embarrassing me and I expect Allan also!

My van is moving towards eleven years old now but touch wood has never had one real problem.
Over the years the main area that I have updated is 12V electrical stuff as newer and better products become available.

I have had the usual problems like a wheel falling off and just recently had my awning fill up with water and the main awning roller badly bent plus one support arm destroyed when I let the water out. I am talking about a tonne of water. How the awning did not tear the van wall off I don’t know.
When we woke up in the morning after very heavy rain all night and went to open the door I found it would only open just enough to squeeze out. It was impossible to push the water out so I let one arm down well what a mess the arm at the other end collapsed and the noise had people running from everywhere to see what had happened.

Only thing I would do different would be to use one of the newer products for the roof as hail is always an issue with aluminium.
Thanks for the comments Joe.

JR
:razz:

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:05 pm

John,
Just going through your build thread again, I was extremely impressed with your use of a proximity sensor to set the ride height.

I wonder if you would be kind enough to provide more detail and maybe allow me to copy your design, which I think is brilliant.

Cheers
Keith

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi Keith,
I have no problems with you using any of my design.

The proximity switch I used is often used in power stations and very commonly used on coal conveyors to protect the conveyor from tracking problems. As such is very robust and can handle water and dust. From memory they have a magnet in one side and reed switches in the other side which make and breaks when a metal spade blokes or unblocked the magnetic field.

I have been using them for eleven years now without any problem. All I have used them for is to operate a LED that lights when I have the suspension at the correct height which is the recommended running height for the air bag. So when raising the van I just stop when the LED comes on and if the LED is already on I lower the van until it goes out and then raise it until the LED illuminates again. Not very scientific but you could add relay and the like so it could be fully auto. There are two switches in the proximity switch.

When I get home (approx 5days) I could check part number details on the spare one I think I have in the garage.

JR
:razz:

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks John. Much appreciated. It's a very clever idea. All of the sensors I have looked at seem a bit flimsy.
The only thing that worries me a little about fitting it is the fact that the axle has a little bit of sideways movement due to the use of a panhard rod. I didn't have room for a Watts linkage. So I might have to do a bit of fettling to get it to fit.
Looking forward to hearing from you. Do enjoy that van of yours.
Keith

Return to “DIY RVs”