2014 Jayco Silverline 21.65.3
Lic Electrical Contractor (ret'd)
If in doubt....read the Instructions

tom_cruiser_r69
Been here for a while

Re: Building a 21ft Off-Road Van from Scratch - a diary & Photos

Post by tom_cruiser_r69 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Bussy,
Thanks for including us in you adventure in such detail . I thoroughly enjoyed reading each instalment and always looked forward impatiently for the next. I really admire and applaud your tenacity and skills in completing this caravan. I hope you and your wife have many years of safe happy travels ahead of you. Who knows, I might see you on the road somewhere.
Tom

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 pm

You won't miss Mr & Mrs Bussy if they're in your area Tom...........

There's will be the van with all the blokes standing around in a circle sayin in harmony.......

"Damn, I wish I could build something like that"

:mrgreen:
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

nsgnomad
An old hand

Post by nsgnomad » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Allan, you have set the bar so high that anyone doing a reno or self build can only aspire to achieve something nearly as good. Well done. I admire your tenacity to keep at your build for such a long time. Take a long earned rest and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Cheers

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Allan I was very proud of my own build (I'll start a thread) until I saw yours. It's a triumph of good design and wonderful workmanship.
Unbelievable. Now go and enjoy it!
Keith (newbie)

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Looks like I have some catching up to do.

Firstly thanks Graham, Rory, Michael, Muzz, Joe, OT, Jeff, JR, Dave & Marg, Tom, Lance and Keith for the pats on the back, much appreciated.
Sorry to JR for not being able to call in and say g’day as we shot through Newcastle recently.

Second big trip in the TAJ now completed with very little trouble and it’s done over 10,000 km so far in 2018. Recently - Melbourne, Peak Hill, Guyra, Byron Bay, Brooms Head, Nambucca Heads, Forster, Lane Cove, Huskisson, Mallacoota, Paynesville and then home.

1. Persistent problem with kitchen sink P trap keeps coming lose and leaking a bit. Suspect this setup is a little too rigid for vans and will be replaced with a flexible hose type before next trip.
2. Winder for opening the Fantastic fan hatch in shower had rattled off and luckily the screw and washer did not go down the plug hole so was able to re-fit.
3. Screws holding top of awning roller to frame were starting to undo.
4. Grub screw in entry door handle (on inside) had rattled out and was found on floor,
5. A dee came lose on hand brake cable near where it connects to wheel activator so no hand brake. Luckily had a couple of spares.
6. One drawer latch button would not lock or unlock sometimes and was replaced as I had ordered about 10 extra as spares. Turns out, it was not broken; it just needed a bit of Vaseline on the moving parts.
Some lock tight went on all threads and screws that come lose this time.
Suspect most screws and things were put to the rattle lose test on the recent Darling River run back in April but that concrete Newcastle - Sydney expressway did not help either.

Cheers - Allan
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

nsgnomad
An old hand

Post by nsgnomad » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 pm

Now with all the attention to detail that Bussy has done with his build and yet a few little glitches appeared, perhaps some are too quick to rubbish the run of the mill products that come from the commercial van builders.
However that is what a shakedown tour is all about. I am still in awe of what you have done. :mrgreen:

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:15 am

Thanks NSG, all good plus mine comes with a lifetime and never ending warranty ha. ha..

The problem with the leaking kitchen sink P trap has been solved. Turns out the sink which I picked up from a closing down sale had a dodgy plug assembly. Probably been dragged around the shop for years but remained unsold. The face of the PVC pipe on this assembly (where it is supposed to mate with the O ring in the P trap) was not flat but tapered like a chisel. This allowed the PVC to move down the side of the O ring instead of applying sealing pressure to it. New plug assembly and no further problems.

Took it for another off road stint through the dust and corrugations of Ned’s Corner Station on my way from the Barossa to Mildura (currently at Buronga CP) and no issues with dust so that is a plus as well.

Cheers - Allan
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

Return to “DIY RVs”