DIY van

robali
An old hand

Re: DIY van

Post by robali » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Well it's finally finished and rego was done today so we can go away over school hoildays, lets hope it can withstand the abuse from the kiddies...

Cheers Robert.

froglet
On a roll

Post by froglet » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi Robali,
Congratulations on completion of your great project. Your dedication, planning and workmanship are a credit to you. I have no doubt that the support of your family throughout the project, played a big part in its successful completion.

I wish you many years of happy and safe caravaning with your family.

Cheers,

Froglet
Retirement is great when every day is Tuesday(Chooseday)
I "Choose" when to get up, when to eat, when it's beer o'clock,
when to go away & when to come home!!
Yep,life is great when every day is "Chooseday"

nsgnomad
An old hand

Post by nsgnomad » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Robali, congratulations on a great project. I have only just found your thread and have enjoyed reading and watching it progress. You should have had a chance to try it out by now and I hope it proves to be a s good as it looks.
If you don't mind a few questions.

You don't have many windows. Do you find it a bit dark inside, if you don't have the door open?

With the monopan for the poptop, how have you framed it on the edges to give support/mounting for the gas struts etc. I didn't notice in the photos any means of lowering it from the inside (handles or whatever).

Is the toilet/shower a comercially available cubicle or did you make it all yourself - what materials?

I am just starting on a renovation project of my own so I found your posts very interesting and food for thought in the design of mine.

As I said, great effort and also thanks for sharing your experience with us all. 8-)

Roger

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:49 am

Hi nsgnomad,

Yes it is a bit dark, but with the openings in the poptop opened it lets in a lot of light. The roof was built in one piece the edges where folded over 100mm after they were routed out in a V shape then heated and glue, it has 4 gas struts due to the expert i got out to do the job of installing the struts, stuffed it so i have 4 instead of 2, at this stage there is no handles inside to lower it as i have to engineer one from scratch, but is very easy to push down from outside, toilet/shower is just aqua panel with 900 by 900 base and a c402 toilet.

The next van is going to be ALL monopan and plastic welded.

Cheers Robert.

Titch
Been here for a while

Post by Titch » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Fantastic job.
How has it stood up to the footy team?
Did you post the chassis /wall build at all.
Was it insulated enough?
Cheers.
Titch

Return to “DIY RVs”