DIY van

brickus
Avid poster

Re: DIY van

Post by brickus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi Robert, Love the updates. The hand basin is, to quote my wife "cute". By the look of the strength of fit, a team of resident gorillas couldn't damage that interior.
Bad men flourish when Good men do nothing!
There are 3 types of people. Those that make things happen, those that watch things happen and those that say "What the #%@+! happened?"
A man lucky enough to live near a river is lucky enough.

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 am

HI all,

Here is an update on the van, it is nearly done, still have to build draws and draw fronts, would have done this last week but shop was shut so i couldnt get timber, fingers crossed i will get it next week.

Just have to fit busbar, battery, battery box, trim with fabric, flash out side and paint the flashing and test the plumbing, if this works out i will get it down to vic roads get a little sticker for it, then the BIGGEST of all test, my darling well behaved children.

Now if they cant destroy, then nothing will and it will be good to go any where.

1st photo overhead above bed still needs draw fronts.
2nd photo roof flashed and trimmed with vents.
3rd photo bed base with opening for pull out draw, bbq and tables underneath

Cheers Robert.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:20 am

some more.

1st photo back of van and aircon
2nd photo bbq and table pull outs
3rd photo bunks and seating below

still need to trim the bunk safety boards as well as seating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:23 am

last lot

1st photo aircon above bed
2nd photo side of van finished with wheel flairs and windows now fitted
3rd photo hatch doors, still have to paint the ally section that was used to build hatchs which are water tight all way round.

Oh still need some curtains and pelmets.

Cheers Robert.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Robert,
Wow you have not been mucking around looks like a bought one. With the wheel arches done it is really looking smart.

JR
:razz:

evanmunroe
I'm new, be nice!

Post by evanmunroe » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Robert,

You have done a fantastic job, it really looks the goods. I have been following several home built monopan vans as I am very interested in doing one myself. for this reason I have many questions, probably too many for a forum post, would you mind if I emailed you for some further info?

Regards
Ev

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:48 pm

G'day Robert and Ali,
You're doing a grand job there looks fantastic, just as a matter of interest have you kept a tally on the cost and without going into your cost, what would be the differance with a comparable "bought" van,
Frank

keebie
I'm new, be nice!

Post by keebie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:47 am

Nice work, the fit and finish looks professional. Very impressive work.

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 am

Hi All,

JR, my plan is to finish for the up coming school hoildays, but it is looking a bit fine given i havent build draws and draw fronts yet due to timber shop been closed.

evanmunroe, send me Pm if you like as i have HEAPS of ideas that would make doind it a hell of a lot easier than the way i have done it, i am itching to build another so i can do the next a little different it will save a heap of time.

Frank & Brenda Thank you for that i have kept a very close account of money spent and for a van that is 'comparable' not that there are any that will sleep 6 to 7 and have a shower/toilet all in 5 meters, but if there was i have saved HEAPS. There is no room in the van for everyone to move around freely (as you would get in some of the bigger vans) that doesnt bother us as we are always out, plus i dont think even in the bigger vans you would manage to well with 5 to 6 kids plus us.

wanderer and keebie, Thank you both for that, my plan is to offer it up for sale once my kids have had thier hands on it then i know if it will cope with any other family and we will road test the buggery out of it and see how it holds up, if this stuff is as strong as it is made out to be combined with the adhesive used to stick it all together it should hold up very well, who knows maybe someone might like the materails used just not the lay out.

One of the big things that concerned me was weight, given the kids like to pack VERY THING out of thier bedrooms in to the van and 4wd, i needed something that was going to be light, the chassis has a GTM of 2700kg i am hoping the whole thing will come in at around 1500kg.

Cheers Robert.

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi All,

Here are some photo's of the van's progress, all that is needed now is a battery, busbar and fabric over the foam. I am after some thoughts on what i have done here, now i know it would not suit the grey nomads due to size, but when i first embarked on this very easy over night job (jokes) one of my first thoughts was that i could not build a van BIG enough to fit up to 6 kids plus me and the boss.

So my idea was to build a basic layout that would allow us to free camp with a bit of comfort (shower/toilet and TV DVD for kids) now given i couldnt build one long enough to have a party with all the kids inside i set about thinking that i would put nearly all the cooking to the outside and also used the plastic tables you can buy from bunnings (instead of those useless fold down tables) because we butter a loaf of bread not a couple of slices it also has a convection microwave inside.

So what i would like to know, is what i have here, something that would suit a large(ish) family. Given the kids like to take all the crap in the world with them it had to be light but also it had to stand up the the darlings as well (they can do more damage than a corrigated road) it still has to be weighed so i not going to jinx myself here by guessing the weight but i hoping from my recored keeping that it will be light.

Tested all the plumbing and found one tiny tiny tiny leak, in the worst spot so i had to cut the outside wall to gain access fixed the connection, cleaned it all up and it was looking good went back to check it and it was wet (few chioce words) could not figure out for the life of me where it was coming from, then i spotted a drip falling down, i looked up and i spotted where it was coming from, i had forgotted to tighten up the braided hose on the shower tap so it was dripping down from there to the join below it and from looking in from toilet access door it appeared to be that black connection but it wasnt.

So it was simple fixed really but it didnt turn out to bad as now i have a viewing point and access incase it leaks

Cheers Robert.

Return to “DIY RVs”