DIY van

robali
An old hand

DIY van

Post by robali » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi All,

Here a couple of pics of the van, cant seem to find the old thread the search function is next to useless

It's getting there ssssllllooowwwlllllyyyyy but i hope to have it done ready for Christmas.

Cheers Robert.

Cyclone
Rising star

Re: DIY van

Post by Cyclone » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:25 pm

Hi robali,
Try the View your post button top right of page.

Your van is comming along quite nicely. The door is only for short people. LOL.
Regards
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Well my wife does call the little runt, so i thought i only need a small door she is pushing 6ft me 5.7ft she cant get in so (at the moment0 i have my man cave......

Oh your suggestion worked a treat.

Cheers Robert

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:53 pm

The rear LED lights look good have not seen them before.
The material you are using to cover really looks the way to go and you have curved the front and rear which gives the van a professional look, not home made.

JR
:razz:

Danny & Helen
Avid poster

Post by Danny & Helen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Its looking good mate. Your optimism as far as your completion date is just like mine was ;)

I have a few questions if you don't mind..............

Along your roof you appear to have recessed the wall so the outer layer covers the edge of the roof, yet it doesn't appear to be the case around the front. Is there a reason for this?

Does this material hold screws well for fixing cupboards etc?

Are you using ply on the internal walls? (I notice it is quite transparent).

What's the insulation properties like?

Do you know how much the walls, front, rear and roof weigh?

Sorry for so many questions, I can show you my badge if you like ;) I'm really interested in this stuff, I think it is the future in caravan manufacturing, or at least products similar.

Same brand tail lights as mine by the way, except mine are black and I didn't go with the optional number plate light insert. Mine are mounted vertical. We got ours through bright light auto parts' ebay store. Snagged them for $60!

Keeps the pic's coming as you progress.

Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Yeah, makes our little Teardrop look like childs play.

Looking good.

SD

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi Danny,

Dont quite understand Q1 but i will give it a go.

The side wall edge is higher then the front and back by 30mm so that the pop top section sits flush if you looked at from the front the side wall at the top is shaped like a letter Z but the / part of the Z is straight hope that makes sence.

Q2 No it doesnt hold wood screws well they do take but dont bite in tight like they do to wood it feels like they have striped but they dont come out it is suprising how well they do hold but i would'nt draws and so forth with them, the glue they supply is another story, bit like s*#t to blanket it is strong as buggery

Q3 yes i am plying the walls just waiting the boss's final wants, we are using Paulowina timber 14mm thick to build all internals as it is very light plus it is solid timber it is a soft wood so we are clearing it with something (not sure yet what) to get it some help so that the yard apes dont kill it to quick the wall are going to be a same sort of looking timber cant get the Paulowina in 3mm as it is to weak.

Q4 i am not to sure what it is like on the PDf it say (i dont quite understand it) the insulation vaule decreases as it gets thicker i would have thought the other way around but if need i will insulate.

Q5 this was one of my main reasons for using the monopan was due to its weight it is only 4.5kg per square meter each wall is 36kg front and back are around 17kg each and roof is about 45kg

When we decided we needed a bigger van we looked around and my main concern was weight as the kids like to take EVERYTHING with them they stuff it in the van under the van on the van in the 4wd behind the seats under the seat on the seats on the bloody roof, you get the idea.

The vans that suited us just weight a heap and the good ones where just to expensive as well.

Cheers Robert.

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi All,

just a small update of van progress next two weeks should be intresting....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:02 pm

and more..........sorry pressed wrong button....

Cheers Robert.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Robali,
Likewise this is a beautifull display of quality workmanship.

Im a bit lost tho,is the van glass ?

Cant wait to see the finished Van

Cheers Rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Return to “DIY RVs”