Keith's light weight off roader

KeithB
Been here for a while

Re: Keith's light weight off roader

Post by KeithB » Sun May 19, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks again Jerry. So it does look very much like I am worrying needlessly.
I'll report back on how it goes in the field.
Keith

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sun May 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi Keith,
Just to clarify you are using a diesel HWS and room heater all in one unit aren't you which is not quite the same as the standard diesel heat?

I have fitted a couple of Chinese diesel heaters for friends and one heater came with no muffler. I was surprised that when we ran it the exhaust noise level was almost the same as the heaters with a muffler.

Does that insulation material on the exhaust help reduce any noise?
What kind of room heating output does the heater have and can it run at different outputs?
The basic diesel heater output on max is usually about 2000 to 2200watts but can drop to a very low output. If the heater does require to cut in and out the outside temperature is not really that cold and you probably don’t need it to be in service.
As said the standard diesel heater once up and running and reached temperature set point cuts back and is not really noisy (in my opinion).

Some things that can help the standard diesel heater run quieter:
There are some combustion air intake type mufflers and some people mount the fuel pump in a box lined with sponge and mount the box to the chassis so the pump is suspended in sponge so there is no physical attachment to the chassis.
I have no experience with the diesel heater/HWS so it maybe noisier than the stand alone diesel heater.

Keep up the good work and stop blaming yourself if something goes wrong, leave that for when you get older!

JR
:razz:

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sun May 19, 2019 10:21 pm

John, thanks for that. Just to clarify:

My system consists of a Belief furnace which pumps through a reservoir of coolant with a coil inside it to heat the hot water. Before the coolant returns back to the reservoir it splits into two circuits, each with its own manual control valve. One circuit goes through the towel rail in the bathroom and the other goes through a fan heater in the saloon area, with both returning to the reservoir through a common line. The fan heater has a two speed fan and a thermostat control plus a manual over ride of my own design, plus an tiny auxiliary coolant pump to help it out.
Here's what it looks like.

The furnace is rated at 4Kw and the fan heater at 1.7Kw. The towel rail uses almost nothing.

I have fitted a couple of Chinese diesel heaters for friends and one heater came with no muffler. I was surprised that when we ran it the exhaust noise level was almost the same as the heaters with a muffler. Three mufflers for me seemed to be a little quieter than one.

Does that insulation material on the exhaust help reduce any noise? I don't know is it does because I haven't tried it both ways.

What kind of room heating output does the heater have and can it run at different outputs? See above.

The basic diesel heater output on max is usually about 2000 to 2200watts but can drop to a very low output. If the heater does require to cut in and out the outside temperature is not really that cold and you probably don’t need it to be in service. True. In fact I'd close the coolant control valve to the fan heater when it is not needed.

As said the standard diesel heater once up and running and reached temperature set point cuts back and is not really noisy (in my opinion). Good news.

Some things that can help the standard diesel heater run quieter:
There are some combustion air intake type mufflers and some people mount the fuel pump in a box lined with sponge and mount the box to the chassis so the pump is suspended in sponge so there is no physical attachment to the chassis.
Mine is on a wobbly rubber mount with flexible lines and is barely audible. I have not fitted the inlet air silencer yet and I need to relocate one of the mufflers to make space.

I have no experience with the diesel heater/HWS so it maybe noisier than the stand alone diesel heater. I hope not.

I'll do some more testing over the next few days.
Keith

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Mon May 20, 2019 9:08 pm

An old uni mate of mine, who is also a retired engineer, is a very fine furniture maker, which is his hobby. Turns out the most amazingly beautiful stuff.

He has agreed to make the nine kitchen drawers for my caravan build. I was concerned about weight so I asked if he could make them from paulowinia, because if its light weight. He got back to me today.

"Keith," he said, "that poulowinia is not much better than balsa. It's furry and you can't get a finish on it. So we're making them out of Australian cedar. It's only twenty per cent heavier."

Wow! You could have knocked me over with a feather. It's going to be a very large bottle of Scotch (perhaps a case) for this most excellent and generous of mates.

Keith

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 pm

Heater noise

Thanks everyone who commented: you are right. The noise should not be a problem after all.
The first time I fired the fan heater up, the thing went into startup mode with the associated noise. But I have since started the furnace up on two occasions , let it settle down to standby and them turned the fan heater on. It stayed quiet.
All that worry over nothing.
Thanks for your help.
Keith

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Solar cabling almost complete

I have finally got the cabling for the solar all run and connected, but the bus bars are not yet mounted.

Here you can see the cabling for the solar panels with all the negatives on one bus to be wired to the solar controller and the positives on another. There will be separate removable heavy cables down to the controller. All the cables are marked with which panel they belong to.

There are also some other wires there for lights, dust fans and so on, which will go onto their own terminal strip with an earth back to the battery. The whole lot has to be shoe-horned into that little box thing that’s there. Then the ceiling lining goes on followed by a little locker door to give access to the bus bars.

All this fuss is to allow the roof to be removed.

The seals for the slide-out are almost finished and I’ll post some pictures when they are presentable. The slide-out is now pretty much weather proof. The aircon is in place after welding up the floppy support brackets and repainting them. Still waiting on the aircon man to come around so that I can finish the wiring inside the slide-out.

The end is in sight. But you have to stand on something to see it.

Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:14 pm

thats a pretty impressive layout there keith...i'm glad i changed my mind about solar for mine...saved a few headaches for sure...

good to hear the end is in sight.....just hope its not to big a step to see it :lol:
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks as alway, Joe, for the encouraging words. Right now, a bloke could do with some encouragement.

More heater woes

We haven’t done much on the seals this week because the rain has prevented us working while the slide-out is out. But I hope we can get it all finished over the weekend.
The wiring on the roof is very complicated with cables all over the place. The trick is to install it so that the 24 cables between the body and the roof can be removed easily, should the time come to take the roof off. That’s about two thirds finished.

Meanwhile, the diesel heater has been giving problems. I reported previously that noise was no longer a problem. That’s because I have found that the furnace was cutting out. There is so much heat stored in the system that the fan heater and towel rail keep working for some time after the furnace dies.

The furnace runs for an hour or so and then turns itself off. Lovely and quiet but everything goes cold after a while. I tried lots of combinations with fan heater on high or low and control valves in different positions, all with the same result.

Today I wondered whether the heater was getting enough air with the locker door closed. So I ran it for about four hours with the locker door open. It was a lot noisier of course, but it didn’t cut out. Then I closed the door and presto, the furnace cacked its dax again.

So it looks like the furnace it either running out of air or the ambient temperature is getting too hot. I have contacted the supplier to see if there is an ambient temperature limitation on the furnace and am now running a little fan heater in front of the open locker door to see if I can make the furnace trip out. But it doesn't seem to be hot enough.

You can see from the pictures below that the little plant locker is pretty crowded. And the electric over hydraulic brake unit is going to add more heat to the equation.

We have to air vents which you can seed below.

They consist of two one inch black PVC pipes filled with 3mm cocktail straws compressed together and coated with oil to catch any dust. One goes down into the bottom of the locker and the other exits from to top. You can feel a little bit of warm air coming from the top vent when the furnace is running, but not much.
In am thinking aloud here and wondering if the suction fan on the furnace has enough grunt to pull air down through the tube filters and is tripping because it runs out of oxygen.

In either case I can add a little fan like this:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/97mm-x-94mm-1 ... e/p/YX2532
to the warm air exit (there’s no room on the other one) to come on whenever the furnace is running.

But I am mulling over another option, either to do on its own or in conjunction. The composting toilet has its own little computer fan that runs continuously to keep the loo under suction and to provide air for the compost bed. It draws its air from the bathroom, which has worried me regarding pressuring the van to keep dust out.

So I am wondering what would happen if I duct the loo air inlet into the locker and draw the air from there. That would have three benefits. It will supply warm air to help the composting. It will eliminate air leakage when trying to pressurise the van and it will draw fresh air into the locker. If the loo fan isn’t man enough I can upgrade it.

Much thinking to do.
Keith

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:14 pm

CORRECTION:
After running the fan heater in front of the locker just now, with a towel covering the top half of the opening, the heater tripped out after an hour or so. So it looks like a temperature problem, rather than an oxygen problem.
Keith

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Essential to keep dust out (of RVs generally) is to remember to keep the sink and bathroom basin plugs firmly in place. As the RV moves up and down on its suspension the down bits pump dust into the interior via the plug holes!

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

Return to “DIY RVs”