Ten screws in two days!
Collyn, irregular verbs should eat more fibre.
After many lamentations and much wringing of hands, the ten inner screws are in at last. It took two days.
I had a bad start because the sleeper was tipping forward a little bit and wrecking the alignment of the back wall against the seals. So I used some refrigerator slides that were lying around and packed the front up so that I could move the sleeper in and out while fitting the slides, without interfering with the fit at the back.
The method was to drill a one inch hole in a strategic spot in the inner wall of each wheel arch, which you can see in the picture above. I didn’t mention earlier that the slide had to be shimmed out by 2mm on each side as it is thinner than the original one. I had already put some 1mm thick washers behind the fixed slides, but it wasn’t nearly enough. So I cut a piece of 2mm fibreglass from some epoxy angle and match drilled it to the holes in the slides. Here is one of the two shims. I had already done the same on the back ten screws.
The tricky bit was to position the intermediate slide over the hole and then mark it and make sure it couldn’t move. Then move the sleeper in and out, climbing under the wheel arch each time, until the appropriate screw hole could been seen through the wheel arch wall and the intermediate slide. This wasn't easy because the suspension is right down on its haunches to that the caravan can clear the ceiling. Then, holding everything very steady, you insert the shim piece and slide it along until the appropriate hole in the shim can also be seen through the wheel arch. That means the three are lined up.
Then you drill through from under the wheel arch and open the hole from the other side with an 18mm spade bit. Then you push the screw through from the wheel arch, fill around the screw from the inside with epoxy putty and pull it down with an oversized washer, spring washer and a Nyloc nut. Each one took over an hour, once I got the hang of it.
Here you can see the screws in place on an epoxy bed with the one inch hole to the left of shot.
I think I will make up a flush mounted removable plug for these holes for future maintenance access. Tomorrow morning I’ll put a fan heater in there to help the epoxy go off properly, torque up the screws, cut off the excess and put the drawers back. Provided of course that the slider still does as it’s told.
Then it’s back to more wiring.