Keith's light weight off roader

muzz_on_line
An old hand

Re: Keith's light weight off roader

Post by muzz_on_line » Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Hello Keith

You have made my day.
with the assistance of skinned knuckles and the liberal use of carnal verbs and lower pelvic nouns.
I have nether heard it said (written) so eloquently before.

To think that I thought your build was great, your use of the English language has trumped it with spades.

May have to quote you once in a while. :mrgreen:

Muzz

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Tue May 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Potis anomala verba sinelapsu declinare . . . !

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue May 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks Muzz. Your words are very kind.
Collyn wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:18 pm
by Collyn » Tue May 14, 2019 2:18 pm
Potis anomala verba sinelapsu declinare . . . !
Collyn
Good Heavens Colin.
You have offended my lifelong commitment to avoid big words like "corrugated iron".
To make matters worse, my four years of studying Latin (if that's what it is) in the 60's have long deserted me. Along with a good number of other facilities which have lamentably followed suit.

Keith

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Tue May 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Mea Culpa!

It credits you not just with getting that hole right - but 'the ability to conjugate irregular verbs without making a single mistake'.

People who mess with Latin
Should be put in a vat with some fat in
And put on to boil
With plenty of oil
And left there from Vespers to Matin.

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Ten screws in two days!

Collyn, irregular verbs should eat more fibre.

After many lamentations and much wringing of hands, the ten inner screws are in at last. It took two days.
I had a bad start because the sleeper was tipping forward a little bit and wrecking the alignment of the back wall against the seals. So I used some refrigerator slides that were lying around and packed the front up so that I could move the sleeper in and out while fitting the slides, without interfering with the fit at the back.

The method was to drill a one inch hole in a strategic spot in the inner wall of each wheel arch, which you can see in the picture above. I didn’t mention earlier that the slide had to be shimmed out by 2mm on each side as it is thinner than the original one. I had already put some 1mm thick washers behind the fixed slides, but it wasn’t nearly enough. So I cut a piece of 2mm fibreglass from some epoxy angle and match drilled it to the holes in the slides. Here is one of the two shims. I had already done the same on the back ten screws.

The tricky bit was to position the intermediate slide over the hole and then mark it and make sure it couldn’t move. Then move the sleeper in and out, climbing under the wheel arch each time, until the appropriate screw hole could been seen through the wheel arch wall and the intermediate slide. This wasn't easy because the suspension is right down on its haunches to that the caravan can clear the ceiling. Then, holding everything very steady, you insert the shim piece and slide it along until the appropriate hole in the shim can also be seen through the wheel arch. That means the three are lined up.

Then you drill through from under the wheel arch and open the hole from the other side with an 18mm spade bit. Then you push the screw through from the wheel arch, fill around the screw from the inside with epoxy putty and pull it down with an oversized washer, spring washer and a Nyloc nut. Each one took over an hour, once I got the hang of it.

Here you can see the screws in place on an epoxy bed with the one inch hole to the left of shot.

I think I will make up a flush mounted removable plug for these holes for future maintenance access. Tomorrow morning I’ll put a fan heater in there to help the epoxy go off properly, torque up the screws, cut off the excess and put the drawers back. Provided of course that the slider still does as it’s told.
Then it’s back to more wiring.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 pm

good to see you have beaten it keith....there is a lot to be said for profanity....without it i don't think
many projects would be completed

at least from here on it should be easy :mrgreen:
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 pm

Dunno about easy Joe, but I'm hangin' in there.

Anyone got any noise reduction suggestions?

I spent a little time today seeing what I could do about the heater noise. Here is the current exhaust setup with a muffler inside the locker at the front with the heater.

Yesterday I installed the locker door with some really good marine insulation on the inside of it. There is no space to do the rest of the locker. I also tentatively added two more mufflers onto the back end of the exhaust, which did not cause any smoke, to see what would happen. Here are the current results:

Background noise: 50dba (43 last time)
On warmup with hatch in locker closed and soundproofed: 72dba (85 with no door last time)
On standby door closed: 55dba (65 last time with door open)
12 inches from exhaust on warmup: 82dba (85 last time)
12 inches from exhaust on standby: 54dba (not measured last time)

There is a marginal improvement but still quite bad. The changed background noise should not have had much effect, except for the standby figures. I think I'll reinstall with four mufflers and see how it goes. It may be a lot better when its out of the garage. I might have to revisit the problem after it's registered. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any noise reduction suggestions.

Meanwhile, the new slides are in and working very nicely; but there's no real weight on them as yet, because the aircon brackets are out being modified. I have also fitted a door to the rear locker on the slide-out and made a start on the bathroom hatches as well as the slide-out wiring. More pictures soon.

Keith

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Sun May 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Keith, I'm not quite sure, but are you measuring on startup, or are you letting it run for a while and then checking? The reason I ask is that our heater (and I believe they're all very similar) is much noisier when it first starts up. It starts 'flat out' and then winds back, over a short while, to a very quiet idle. When ours has been on for say 15 - 20 minutes, you can barely hear it running from outside. One of our travelling buddies has a Webasto and it's much the same as our Chinese unit.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sun May 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Gerry I am measuring on startup. That's because the heater furnace will be running a fan heater inside during cold weather and I expect it to be cycling on and off quite often. But time will tell.
Thanks for your comments.
Keith

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Sun May 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Keith, ours doesn't seem to cycle, but rather it just drops down to a slow idle. If it cycled, then it would need to energise the glow plug each time and that uses quite a bit of energy. The combustion air fan and the room supply air fan are both on the one motor, so as the unit idles down, so does the internal, as well as external fan noise levels. However, most of the noise on startup is the noise of combustion. If you monitor the fuel pump 'ticks', you'll hear the difference in combustion noise as it speeds up and slows down.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

Return to “DIY RVs”