Keith's light weight off roader

KeithB
Been here for a while

Re: Keith's light weight off roader

Post by KeithB » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks Collyn and Gerry.

I am a great hater of generators in camping areas and can't live with the fact that I could be an offender. When the heater is on standby and just keeping the towel rail warm, it is reasonably quiet. But if we want to use it to run the fan heater at night, the noise will be a problem, particularly for other campers. This heater does not come with 240 volt element option, but we can use the aircon for heating in really cold weather if we in a caravan park.

I do take your point about the garage raising the noise level though. But Collyn's quoted figure of 71dba at 7 metres is still a bit much for me. Changing the unit is not an option at this stage. I have used the Whitworths stuff to good effect and am picking up some of this other stuff tomorrow for the plastic hatch. The exhaust pipe might be a bit too hot for this stuff.

https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/engin ... e/p/MGA100

I'll have a play with making up a long straight through muffler, if only for the intellectual exercise.
Keith

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 am

Keith

I've had two of the Webasto units - one in our OKA and the other (a Dual Top unit) in the TVan.

They could not be heard inside the units and not inside an RV by anyone nearby. They do not appear to be an issue even in quiet campsites. (I did use silencers on both inlet and outlet and mounted the units on rubber.)

I too wonder if the issue is that you have it in an enclosed smallish space that reflects sound - and possibly causing harmonic and sub-harmonic resonances in that space?

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks Collyn. I do hope that I don't have a harmonic going on and am hoping that my noise measurements in an enclosed space have mislead me.
A video on Youtube was recommended to me that highlighted the difference in performance between to types of mufflers that you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8da4WQaac

They look pretty much identical; but one has a dog leg inside and the other is straight through. I have one dog leg type on the heater now. Contrary to what anyone might think, the straight through one works a lot better and the tester got a 10dba reduction by using two in series. So I have ordered four of those mufflers at an affordable $13 each to try out. It's a lot easier and cheaper than fabricating something. I'll keep adding mufflers until I either get no noise benefit or a smoky exhaust.

I picked up some really good marine insulation this morning for the plastic door which claims a 27dba reduction when used in engine compartments. There is no space to get more insulation around the inside of the equipment locker which, I mentioned some time ago, that I have made way too small.

I also picked up the multi-million dollar slides this morning and I can see why they are so expensive. They are beautifully made and all machined out of solid material, rather than roll formed stuff. They are a bit heavier than the other ones though and I'll have to live with that.

I'll pull the aircon units and the steel drawers out of the slide-out this afternoon and remove the gate in preparation for the slide replacement, which will be a big job that I am not looking forward to. All new holes to drill, back fill with epoxy, glass over, fair and paint.

Keith

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:11 am

It all seems like Sisyphus - without the causal sin!

Hopefully it stays at the top of the next hill!

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Slides

After a great deal of mucking around, I got the old slides off today and filled the old holes with epoxy filler. They were held onto the body with 8mm dome head bolts with flat washers, spring washers and Nylock (if that’s the correct spelling) nuts plus a dab of blue Loctite. Several of them had seized and I had to do a fair bit of butchery to get them out.

Luckily, the old slides won’t be reused anywhere because they are cactus. They have been loaded at well under their quoted 227Kg rating and are spewing ball bearings and bits of plastic ball cage without the caravan having moved anywhere. They are deflecting at the end by 70mm with the aircon and steel drawers removed from the sleeper. The data from the Timken Rollon slide company allows you to calculate the deflection which I think will be less than 25mm.

Here’s a shot of the old failed slides on the left and the new multimillion dollar ones on the right. The old ones have a slide within a slide against a fixed base. As the slide extends the whole shooting match gets thinner.

On the left you can see where the end of the outer and inner members have failed allowing bearings to spew everywhere. On the right you can see the multimillion dollar slides. They don’t have a slide within a slide. They have an intermediate slide which goes half way out and allows the smaller section to extend. Unlike the nasty slides, they are reversible and have countersunk 5mm countersunk attachments at 80mm centres along their entire length.

Both types of slides weigh the same. So I guess you get what you pay for. Now to fit them. In order to get the seals to seat properly I have only a1mm or so of tolerance. Wish me luck on that one.

Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed May 01, 2019 10:17 pm

okay...goodluck keith.....they sure do look robust,i hope they do the job and serve you well :D
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sat May 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Brakes and Slides

Brakes

Because the brake callipers had been laying around for years, I sent them out to be reconditioned and they are back in place. The Hydrastar electric over hydraulic unit is in, squeezed into the front locker, complete with breakaway switch and is working fine.

I bled the Hydrastar unit no problem. But I couldn’t bleed the sponginess out of the calliper lines. As it turns out, I had installed the callipers on the front of the disks instead of the rear, to make connection of the hydraulic lines a little easier. But I had stuck with putting the left hand calliper on the left side and so on, which meant the callipers were upside down with the bleed screws at the bottom of the calliper instead of the top.
So I’ll swap them over and bleed the system again.

Slides

I have been mucking around with these new multi million dollars lides for the last couple of weeks. The problem is to get the slides in with the slide-out in exactly the right position, up/down, sideways and absolutely plum so that the rear panel slides into place onto the seal perfectly when the slides are loaded. I have jacked up, wedged up, put in temporary timber runners, done a lot of scrotum scratching and measured a thousand times before being happy that it’s right. Is it’s not, the caravan will fill with dust.

There is a nice video in Italian with subtitles that tells you how to install the slides with a charming gent named Mr Tosi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpsVpb1 ... sVpb1uvMU

If I was installing these slides with 360 degree access like Mr Tosi in the demo, all would be fine. But it's not.
I pulled out the old slides, filled all of the old holes, established new holes reinforced with epoxy and put on some paint.

We have a fixed upper rail, an intermediate sliding rail not fixed to anything and a lower rail which is fixed to the slide-out. Mounting the fixed ends of the slides onto the caravan was easy enough, with the outer five screws being drilled and installed through factory holes in the intermediate sliding member.

With the slide-out accurately set on blocks in the out position, you then extend the sliding lower rail and place ten screws onto the slide-out with all of the boring out, hole filling with epoxy, redrilling and so on that goes with that. Below you can see the five holes in the intermediate member that you drill through to fit the last five screws on the fixed rail on the caravan.

Then comes the problem. We come to think about the five screws that have to be installed into the slide-out through the holes in the intermediate member at the closest end to the caravan.
It seems that the only way I can get access to these holes is to slide the thing in, at which time the holes are inaccessible because they are covered by the body of the caravan, adjacent to the when arch, as well as the slide-out itself.

So it looks like I will have to slide the thing in, mark the position of the lower fixed rail and intermediate slide and the mark and drill some holes into the wheel arch on both sides through the intermediate member so that I can push the screws in from underneath, inside of the wheel arch. When they are all in, I fill the holes in the wheel arches, glass over, fair and repaint.

Wish me luck with that.

Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun May 12, 2019 9:49 pm

and i thought i was beating myself up with some of the crazy stuff i do.......

can't be of any worthwhile assistance other than to wish you a lott of luck...if i was praying man i would pray for you,
i don't know if there is a translation service that applies to youtube like there is for emails....maybe the hard part is verbal
in the clip ??

i hope it comes together soon for you and the solution is not to hard to arrive at.

goodluck keith
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Mon May 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: praying

Don't!

A medical study showed a minor negative correlation - so if he/she/it is listening 'whatever' may be marginally anti (or the 'error' is within the relevant standard deviation!)
Collyn

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 am

Collyn wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Re: praying
Don't!
A medical study showed a minor negative correlation - so if he/she/it is listening 'whatever' may be marginally anti (or the 'error' is within the relevant standard deviation!)
Collyn
With the total absence of Divine intervention, I think I have found a solution by drilling just one hole in the wheel arch. I managed to get five screws and a shim into one side, with the assistance of skinned knuckles and the liberal use of carnal verbs and lower pelvic nouns. Will post some pictures once I see it actually working. May take a day or two for the epoxy to go off in this cool weather before I can test the newly installed slides.

Keith

Return to “DIY RVs”