Keith's light weight off roader

KeithB
Been here for a while

Re: Keith's light weight off roader

Post by KeithB » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 pm

"The Hydrastar electric over hydraulic unit has yet to go in and I am still undecided whether to shoehorn it into the locker or put it on the drawbar."

I was advised on another forum to check whether the hydrastar electric over hydraulic unit was waterproof. so I called them.
It seems that the main cable gland is not waterproof and there is a vent hole in the cap. So I will see if I can squeeze it into the locker. Otherwise it's no water crossings for me.

On other matters I have finally found a pair of slides that look to be of industrial quality for the slide out bed. The ones I have are a total failure, even though they are working well below their claimed weight rating. I chased up a recommendation from another forum which led me to the local distributor. But the slides are outrageously expensive at $2,260 a pair. so I'm scratching my head on that one.

Keith

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:50 pm

How heavy is the bed - I ask as there is a good price under chassis spare -wheel carrier on the market - and many such wheels weight over 50 kg.
Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Collyn,

Thank you for the suggestion.
The bed is fully enclosed, with roof and walls and a an enclosed drawer/locker section underneath. With the aircon, pull-out drawers, retractable bed base and hardware attached, the slide out bed is about 125kg max. If we add bedding, clothes in the drawers and a bit of stuff in the rear lockers, we will be as much as 170kg. When we are in it the support legs will be down, so the live weight is not an issue. There is no room to run two sets of slides to share the load.
I am looking for full extension drawer slides with 1450-1480 extension and a load rating in excess of 300kg and a maximum width of 19mm.
There are plenty of slides out there, but they are all too wide - except for these multimillion dollar ones, made by Timken in Italy.
The ones I got from IRS are rated at 227kg but they sag dangerously and wobble from side to side like nobody's business. I don't want to have done all this work only to have the slides let me down. As a last resort, I will spend the cash if it solves the problem once and for all. I and a couple of mates are searching the internet for a cheaper alternative.
Keith

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:44 pm

More roof work.

All of the visible parts of the underside of the roof are now painted and the main roof seal is installed. I have used the commercial silicone refrigeration seal that may have been mentioned in an earlier post. It’s silconed down and screwed over that with 12x3 aluminium flat which is drilled and countersunk at 50mm centres. The stainless screws bight into the epoxy edge filler and hold quite well. Here’s what it looks like

The corners of the seal were impossible to cut neatly so I partially filled them with matching (almost) silicone and pressed Gladwrap over them to get a good finish.

I cut some panels from 3mm foam board for a ceiling lining. But it was a bit too drummy so I glued in some timber plugs to support it when it’s glued up. But I can’t do that till the roof wiring goes in.

The chip shop filter finally arrived and its held in the some tabs from 20mm aluminium angle with two sets of rubber compression seal all around. The filter has drain holes at the corner and there are gaps in the front seal to let it drain. I tried a garden hose on it and a mist spray doesn’t get through. There is also a rubber compression seal around the perimeter of the cowl.

The windows and door are now in and I’ll post some pics after the adhesives have gone off.
Keith
Modify message

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:38 pm

coming together nicely...any progress is good progress :D
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:47 am

Too true Joe. There are no small victories.

I was a bit naive in believing that the 227Kg rating on the original slides was fair dinkum and I've really painted myself into a corner on this slide issue. I should have known that there would be tears before bedtime. This build is starting to wear me out a little and I just want to get it finished and on the road without any more nasty surprises.

After an intensive search of manufacturers all over the world, it seems that these Rollon slides are the only ones that will do the job. And at least I can expect a trouble free run down the track. This is a very expensive build anyway and I expect to be able to insure it for at least twice the build cost. That's enough of my justifications. I really don't think I have any option other than to fork out the dough for these industrial slides and wait six weeks for them to turn up.

https://www.motiontech.com.au/wp-conten ... 0319-1.pdf

Meanwhile here are a few more pics of progress.

The composite panel is only 15mm thick and the Camec doors and windows need a panel 27mm thick. So I had some spacers machines up out of 12mm low density PVC.
Here's what they look like after fairing and painting.

I glued them onto the walls with epoxy and then fitted the windows and door in the normal way.

Today I am laying out the positions for the solar panels and clearance lights on the roof.

Keith
Modify message

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Keith

It should be feasible to save a lot of weight re the mattress.

I will email you the draft of an article that I shall eventually have on my website - it is of a totally extraordinary fully-off road tiny motorhome with pop top roof mini-slide out, inside shower and loo etc. The entire body and its interior (fitted on a Nissan Navara chassis) weighs under 375 kg. Is ultra-high tech using a fair amount of carbon fibre.

The builder (a Sydney-based environmental architect) spent several years and work in designing and self-building - including experimenting with a minimal weight (and totally ventilated) bed and mattress.

Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks Collyn. I'm on it.
We are planning a laminated foam mattress anyway, but I really like the idea of the breathable underlay.
Cheers
Keith

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:25 pm

Solar started

Got the solar panels nailed down to the roof today. Fitting these thin wall solar panels is complex and Solar 4 RVs has issued quite detailed and specific instructions on how it’s to be done. It seems that there are two problems if you stick them straight down onto the roof;

1. They get too hot and loose efficiency; and
2. They move differently to the substrate due to thermal expansion and ultimately fail. This has been a big problem on Kimberley Karavans.

So we start out with little strips of ribbed polycarbonate roofing which has to be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and then a special tape applied. Solar 4 RVs say they have tested many tapes to failure and this this 3M product is the stuff to use. Here’s what the strips look like with the tape on:

Then you clean the panels once more with the alcohol and stick the strips down between the rows of solar cells. I put each solar panel onto a glass table with a light below so that I could locate the strips accurately between the cells. Here’s what we get;

Doing all of this for nine solar panels meant 100 strips and took a full day. Today we stuck the panels down:

I am hoping that these panels will form something of a tropical roof and will keep the caravan a bit cooler. Next job is to fit the waterproof fittings through the roof – all 18 of them plus do the running lights on the roof.

Keith

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Whitworth has a range of these (including for ocean-racing yachts).

Collyn

Return to “DIY RVs”