thanks lance just 1 more little step closer
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Re: york in york

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:43 am

howdy people i have just got home from a 2 week motoring holiday in qld....i sent one of my cars over to brisbane by carrier and then flew over
and drove to the hotrod nationals in maryborough then drove up as far as 1770 very pretty place,then ambled down to brisbane and car
back on carrier and we flew home...will collect car in a couple of weeks when it gets back to perth.

the only day it did not rain was on our last day in brisbane....boy it really knows how to rain in qld......
the only disappointing part of the trip was the caravans i am sorry to say.....on a number of occasions when following them at 75/80 kmh
in a 100 zone and then get to a passing lane i could not catch the buggers....usual story that everyone knows well.

people familiar with the qld roads must see this often and be hugely frustrated...i know it leaves me scratching my head......i guess it is a problem that
will not change.....sadly i saw an serious accident involving a van,i hope nobody was hurt....looked like the car behind the van tried to drive
thru it,with them all ending up off the road....everybody take care on the roads.

hoping to get my project moving a little faster
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed May 01, 2019 10:14 pm

seeing as i am not far off cladding the outside of the van....i have been checking out vans whenever possible
and one thing in particular has me curious.....

on my van ,being an old one, on the outside wall directly behind the fridge there is a louvred panel, or was rather that
was for ventilation for the fridge and it was about the size of the fridge.....

now on the newer vans i notice a plastic fluted panel about 600x 150 ??? i assume this is for the fridge ventilation.....
does anybody know if this is powered with an internal fan or how it works ??
i have asked a few people and they look at me like i have 3 heads......hmmmm maybe if i did i would be 3 times smarter

thanks for any help
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Wed May 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Joe, I think modern vans have a plastic vent at the bottom to let cool air in and one at the top to let hot air out. Some people are fitting little low amp fans to help out in hot weather. You can see some of them here:

https://karlskoolrv.com/collections/ultra-fans

Alternatively, you can make one up with bits from ebay. If you have plenty of electricity and don't already have a fridge, maybe look at compressor fridge which may not need to be vented outside. This has the advantage of keeping dust out. Plus they work really well and don't mind being a little out of level. They also use less power on 12 volts. But you'll need an onboard charger for caravan park stays as they only run on 12 volts. Here are a few:

https://www.evakool.com/caravan-fridges/platinum/

I have the big 210 litre one, vented internally, that uses about 40 amp hours a day in normal weather.

Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu May 02, 2019 9:40 pm

thanks for that keith..i am sort of limited as i have already got the fridge....a vitrifrigo i think it is called from memory
so i guess i will have to explore my options a bit more....pretty soon i am going to talk to a caravan builder
about a new skin for the roof and am hoping he has an easy solution....we wait and see :D

no hurry now as my wife had an op on her rotator cuff 2 days ago so shed time will be limited....but on the
up side now i can plan properly and not rush into it

thanks for your help
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Thu May 02, 2019 9:57 pm

Joe the Vitrifrigo is a 12 volt fridge, so you can vent it inside the van if you follow the installation instructions. You don't need wall vents as there is no burnt gas exhaust. But they use a fair bit of power so you'll have to allow for that.
Good luck with the caravan skin.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri May 03, 2019 10:17 pm

thanks for that keith....you have highlighted my problem......i rarely read instructions :roll:
thats probably why i get stuck so often.....going to dig out my instructions and have a good read,
might even solve some other problems.

i assumed that ALL fridges needed to be ventilated....as previously stated all this new technology is new to me....
stll trying to workout my phone...at least i am trying to keep up with the techno stuff....sort off

your help is appreciated
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Fri May 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Joe, your 12 volt compressor fridge (if that's what it is: do check) works just the same as the fridge at home in your kitchen. As long as you have enough of a gap behind and above it, all should be well.
My fridge is is a compressor number and is not vented outside. That removes one more dust source. Do also check the power requirement. You will need a 240 volt charger to run it in caravan parks plus a decent DC-DC arrangement on the road as the thing could draw 40 AH or more a day.

This brand looks to be pretty heavy on power for some models.
https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/car ... ison-chart

Good call to go with a compressor fridge though.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun May 05, 2019 9:58 pm

that is very good to know thanks keith....if i don't have to put a hole in the outside wall,as you say,less dust to
worry about
not much chance to play with van at the moment,looking after the cook after her recent surgery but all info
is noted. while i am house bound i will be reading up on manuals and checkout the points you have noted.

your help is appreciated
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:24 pm

not a lot to report due to the fact i am still playing nurse maid to the cook..

i have been sneaking an odd hour or 2 here and there....got the shower base installed and the waste outlet sorted and a bit more wiring done..

even managed to get my waterproof sheets of marble for the shower and have nearly got them ready for gluing into place...only had one hiccup

and that is because the roofline slopes towards the front ,one of the walls is longer than the rest and absolutely impossible to get that sheet in

in one piece.......still looking for a solution ????

will get some pics happening shortly....unfortunately health/medical comes at the cost of continuity

be back soon
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 pm

i have just bought a double gas regulator even though i am only using a single gas bottle....i will block off one side and if the need for a second bottle arises
i should then have no problems with the reg...i think

i remember reading somewhere and for the life of me cannot find it again,that the regulator needs to be fitted
higher than the bottle/s......even scouring through everything on the net regarding regulations shows little
more than a mere mention of same....does anybody know if such a regulation exists ???

any help is more than appreciated
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:49 pm

Joe,
Here are the regulations:
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/pdf/Gui ... 0Homes.pdf

You'll need to get a licensed gas fitter to sign off and, whatever you do, don't do what I did. I used the wrong regs and all my glorious looking gas plumbing had to be pulled out and redone by a pro at a cost of about $900 including certification and gas plate.

There's nothing in there about the position of the regulator, but the inspector/gasfitter may baulk at using a double regulator on a single bottle. Do check. The other thing to remember is that all gas pipework needs to be under the van, away from living areas. Each branch must have an isolation valve under the van with no junctions between it and the appliance. You'll also need to plan the layout to avoid stone damage.

Good luck.
Keith

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 am

Hi Joe,
the thing with gas work is to get the right fittings as well. Compression fittings come in the refrigeration type and a lighter general type. For caravans the refrigeration type are better.

Many people also have no idea that due to the vans plumbing being low pressure the carcass ought to start off in 1/2 inch copper or a minimum of 3/8 depending on the position of the high use appliances. if the hws is up the far end make that line in 1/2 inch.

I also like to use the green per-lagged hot water copper as it is then already protected. doing the work your self is not the problem. Getting it all checked and certified is the secret to success.

Manufactures tend to make their lines small in general and later on you decide to install a gas heater say, and you are up for a bigger change than anticipated.
As regards the double reg it ought to be ok but the cost of a single one ought to be considered. If getting a double one the whole point is to get the auto change-over one which I personally have . It is made by Marshal in the us and has been no problem for 10 years.
when a bottle is empty it changes to the full bottle and a red flag comes up in the gauge to tell you to change the bottle.
I have never used a double on a single tank system so have no idea if it will be a problem. But I reckon it ought to work ok.

It could be that with prolonged use in a single setup the gauges mechanical s might go astray but I doubt it. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 pm

hi keith
i am pretty aware of most of the regs regarding gasfitting in the van...it's just that i remembered reading about the regulator
but could not find it...i had intended to mount it higher than the bottle anyway.....i can't see any problem with using a double in place of a single,
but i am not a plumber.....i will be working with a plumber to do the gas hook up and he will do the certification...i hope :D

hi dieseltojo
i will be running a minimum of 3/8 copper line but if need be will go to 1/2 as i am only running the cooker and an instantaneous hotwater heater
with the fridge being 12/24 volt....the plumber i am using is a freind and is happy with me doing the work using his instructions and he will
check it all before certification

i feel that using a double reg with one hole plugged should not be an issue as i have seen vans running like this while
waiting?? for second bottle to be filled ????or for whatever reason...again if told no,then it's not the end of the world.
just for interest sake.... a single regulator was $73.00 and a double was $70 and it had more bits in it ????????????

bottom line...whatever the plumber says needs doing...will be done, not looking to do anything shonky
thanks for your help guys
cheers
joe

Return to “DIY RVs”