york in york

KeithB
Been here for a while

Re: york in york

Post by KeithB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Joe, I have an 6ft kitchen bench top with 1 metre of 1amp per metre warm white LED strip on the underside of an overhead cupboard about 450mm above the benchtop. The strip is located in a little Jaycar plastic enclosure which cost about fourpence. The light from it is fantastic and throws all over the van. I reckon two well placed one metre lengths of these strips would light your whole van with very little power use. I, like I do everything, have gone overboard and have far more lighting than I need. Luckily I don't have to turn them all on at once. Make sure you go for warm while or your van will look cold and uninviting.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:44 pm

good info keith...i went and had a look at those light strips and must say i was pretty impressed....
i have ordered another 2 of the lights that i have just to match everything up....but before i clad the outside of the van
i will check my lighting out in the darkness of the shed and add some strips strategically if needed...

my kitchen is only short about 1200 but underneath the upper cupboard i have a camec range hood that shines directly
down on the stove... i think i will be well lit up now,but can add more if needed.

slowly starting to do some jobs.....veeeeery slooowly
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 am

does anybody else get caught buying stuff only to find it wont work...or is it just me ?????
simple thing....shower waste/drain....bought a caravan specific one...25 mm right angle ...was about to fit it
only to realise that the thread is not long enough to go thru the ply floor and engage with the bottom part....

i know it is a simple thing but like a lot of stuff i have bought for the van only to find that without heaps of modifications
they just don't work....i looked up the dimensions of the bed mattress and built the bed to suit...when i went and picked up the
mattress it was too big for the base.....hinges advertised to do a specific thing...yep waste of time

i know it is not just the van industry....i have the same problem when building cars.....doesn't anybody care anymore...
i am a simple person,i research what i want to do and buy accordingly only to find it won't work and when i ring
the place of purchase i am told i just need to alter or modify in a certain way and it will fit.....

why do we accept this garbage and put up with this attitude....why don't business' care about there products anymore....i know the answer is
mostly that it is made in china and is cheap...you get what you pay for......but i usually pay the premium price to get the better stuff.....
but that is not what i get

if this is what we HAVE to put up with now....god help us in the future.....thank god i don't have any grand kids
sorry for the whinge......just frustrated
cheers
joe

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:03 am

Joe, re the shower waste.

Not sure about the caravan specific one but the domestic ones are designed to fit the shower base only.

So in a house you usually use a 110mm hole saw through the floor or the carpenter has installed the tray and dropped his power saw through the floor 4 times to cut a square hole.

Yep the care factor has gone in house building as well.

They seem more interested in checking social media on their smart phone than work quality.

My rant.

Regards Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 am

JJ,

I don't think I understand the issue :confused:

Would not a long waste, as in the pic, cut to size do the job?

Then add an elbow and Hepvo trap.... https://hepvo.com/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:37 pm

agreed gerry....i don't think it matters what subject....the care factor is well and truly gone :roll:

OT the main issue with the outlet is the fact that i bought one from a caravan parts supplier and in it's
original form as bought would not do the job...in fact it was totally impossible for that unit to fit in any way shape or form....

that was the main part of my rant...
yes i agree with you about the one you have shown.....and that is exactly what i intend to do....buy the various bits and make my own
which is the recurring theme with most things i want/need.

unfortunately our local hardware has a choice of 1 so when i get back from qld in a couple of weeks i will hit bunnings with a vengeance :D
cheers
joe

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Joe.

I would recommend clamping the shower base only with the waste fitting.

If you intend to clamp the floor as well you are inviting problems.

Regards Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:07 pm

thanks for that gerry.....when i got the shower base i wondered how i was going to fit it and over
time i worked out that the drain keeps it in place....so thats what will happen :D
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:15 pm

i am over the dummy spit and have moved on.....over the past week i was looking at the van and realised that where
the roof rolls over at the front....there was nothing to support it
181.jpg
not a very good picture but you should see what i am on about
184.jpg
185.jpg
after looking at the last 2 pics you will see what i mean....now when i get the new roof skin made up
i will have somewhere to secure it and support it

next week i am off to maryborough qld for the hotrod nationals and on my return hope the shoulder is good enough
to get stuck in and wrap this up.....well thats the plan :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cheers
joe

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:20 pm

A few little blocks and all is good. 8-)
Well done Joe, it's shaping up really well now ;-)
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Return to “DIY RVs”