york in york

Bussy
An old hand

Re: york in york

Post by Bussy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Hey Joe,
Sorry to hear about your fall and wish you a very speedy recovery. I had a similar hold up when I was doing my build and it pissed me off no end not being able to do what I wanted to do so I know all about injury frustrations.

With the shower problem of it facing you as you go in, how about you use a flexible shower hose attachment and put a second shower rose holder on the other side. I did this and it works fine, in fact the shower rose is always on/in the second holder now. When on the road the shower hose and rose are unscrewed and it’s all put in a dirty clothes bag and stored on shower base so it does not scratch or leave rub marks on the shower gel coat. Its a pain to set it up again each night but beats rub marks.

Great work with the silicon too. I am just too damn fussy with finishing off silicon and end up stuffing it right up by playing around too much so good words of advice here to others.

That range hood fan is excellent, might swap my old fashioned one out (as it’s a bit noisy) and fit one of those. Looks much neater and more stream-line.

You are nearly there mate and its looking bloody good so keep at it when you can, but don’t push it and do yourself another injury.

Cheers - Allan
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:58 pm

keith i hope this method helps you get a good result mate :D

i'm glad my method of of finishing the silicon is a help to somebody...but i must say i copied it from someone else

i know i am not the only one that goes out of his way to injure himself :roll: but as you say allan it's more the frustration of not being able to do anything
that gets to you

your shower system sounds like a good way of doing it....but in my case i am sort of locked into what i have done,the reason being that
i could not work out a way of having a shower door....so it was mentioned to me to not have a door,but to have a very deep shower curtain...almost a
" U" shaped curtain that will extend for the depth of the shower,so effectively catching all the water.....time will prove me right or wrong.

on that note....i did instal a grey water tank...but then got to thinking about smells and such,so i am not in a rush to connect it to the shower.....
rather just have a drop tube with a ball valve on it and when i a c/van park just use a hose to the park waste....is this permissable ?????
this shower in vans is a new thing to me
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 pm

"...but then got to thinking about smells and such,so i am not in a rush to connect it to the shower.."

Joe I got around the shower smell problem by putting a little collection sump under the floor waste and using a manually operated water pump to discharge at the top of the sink S-bend, same as a dishwasher. I just used a flojet pump with a couple of suction filters and some stainless steel wool in the little sump to grab any hair. The sump is just a 4 inch sewer end cap which unscrews at the bottom to get any sand out.

Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:47 pm

that sounds simple enough keith thanks
originally i had thought of something similar and was working towards that when i had my..."what if"....thought....i know i think too much.

after sitting and looking and a beer or 6 i started thinking about my end use for this van and reasoned that if i'm not going to use it for long
distance travelling or extended stays why not keep it simple and not worry about the holding tank...hence my question on c/van park rules

i'm still open minded about it just exploring my options
cheers
joe

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Joe,
Bugger you must have done major damage to your shoulder to be grounded for six months.

You are right about getting a smell from the grey water tank so you will need to do something to stop it. Allan’s suggestion sounds good or as said use a sump pump. I have seen on boating sites a small plastic tank with a sump pump and a float switch. There is also those one way devises used instead of ‘S’ bends.
Hep-vo waterless valve is what they are called.

JR
:razz:

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 pm

hi JR was a pretty good bump,been over 2 weeks and still painful....but starting to get a bit of movement....i'm pretty sure the doc was
wrong with the 6 months....heres hoping :roll:

seems like the more i delve into this topic the more "variations" i am getting and most of the solutions sound reasonable so far.....
as stated i think the use will be limited so am not overly concerned at the moment....but i will put all the infrastructure in place and if i find
that i was wrong (as usual) then not a problem to hook it all up

i do appreciate all the advice and am taking note......

on another note i am instaling a double power point and it will be stuated above the fridge...so that would be about mid way in the van....
i can't for the life of me think where i would put another one OR if i even need another one ??? considering everything will be
12 volt...except for thaat 1 double pp.....is 1 enough??
thanks for looking in and all help
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Joe, don't forget to use double pole switches. You certainly won;t forget after you've paid for them.
Keith

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Joe, my van is all 12V but still find many uses for 240V power points when on 240V.
Electric jug, electric fry pan, coffee machine, toaster, hair dryer, computer and possibly some other stuff. Some of these things we leave out on the kitchen bench so it’s nice to have a few power points. All these items we run when on 12V via an inverter but you need the power points to plug them in.

I personally would have as many power points as possible and also plenty of 12V sig plugs. You may find out later that it would be good to have another power point but then it’s not that easy to fit once the van is finished.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm

G'day JJ,

I agree with JR.

Our van came with 3 single and 4 double GPOs.

Since then I have fitted 4 extra double GPOs plus I have 3 x 4 port permanent power boards.

Despite all of the above there is still one annoying place that I can't add a GPO and have to run a long lead :roll:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Yep same goes for houses.

The sparky commented on the number of GPO when he was doing pre-wire.

Said to him that I told the Mrs tha t she can have 10 today for the price on one tomorrow.

You could probably double that for a van.

Regards Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Return to “DIY RVs”