york in york

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

york in york

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:16 am

howdy all i am new to the forum....done an intro..... i have had a very rough 15 foot york van dumped on me and have now decided to rebuild it....not really sure it is one of my smartest moves
but i am famous for diving into the deep end without knowing what i am doing.
firstly in my intro i stated that i was a car guy and a few people are interested in my cars as well,so i will get them out of the way....
this was my first car that i built from the ground up and will more than likely be my tug
this is my most recent car that i have built only been on the road a month
and lastly my fairlane pretty well all original and still left hand drive.....all will be tow car at some point
now back to the van....the 15 foot luxurious york....i am guessing it is late 60's or early 70's got no paperwork with it
because it was going to be a complete build i decided to put it in the shed...hmmm just a tad high....hmmm so of came the wheels and pushed it in on the brake drums
now the fun starts....stripping it out...completely....i always wondered how a van was made
cheers
joe

getting old is inevitable.....growing up is optional

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Re: york in york

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:22 am

never let fear hold you back
and the chassis was going to be totally upgraded so...

well it seems that is all the pics i have so far but i am a bit further along and when i load up some more pic's i will continue....but...if your not interested just say so and it wont be a problem

thanks for looking cheers
joe
cheers
joe

Archer63
An old hand

Post by Archer63 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 am

Looking forward to this one Joe !
2018 Pajero Exceed
2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:55 am

G'day JJ,

Fabulous work on the old Ford. That would make a great tug as it has so little rear overhang.

We can't see the Fairlane and I'm sure that's because you used the same old Ford pic link twice and missed the Fairlane.

It looks like that old York will keep you busy..... especially if you bring it up to the same high quality as your cars. Just don't make it any taller ;-)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:08 pm

JJ,
I'll say without contradiction that we all will be interested in this re-build you are doing and the more pictures you post, the better.
We went to York in 2013 during our last "round the block" trip and was most impressed-especially the free camp in town. We visited the motor museum and although not a big collection, there were some rare vehicles there.
Good luck with your re-build.
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Looks great Joe......all of it. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:55 pm

whoops..must have got excited with the pics.....here is the van going into the shed just prior to the wheels coming off to lower it
and the missing pic of the fairlane

the plan for the van is to change the bed at rear from an island bed and turn it sideways and hinge it to the rear wall making it a drop down and in the front corner (car drivers side)
to add a toilet shower and the rest as and where it fits best.....but first thing to do is a new axle/spring combo to raise the gvm and then i think it will be electric brakes...not real sure on that one,
our first van 35 years ago had them and never got them to work very well....so will have to do some more research on that.....i have already extended and upgraded the draw bar.

thanks to all that replied with good words hope you keep enjoying and get used to lots of pics :D

cheers joe
cheers
joe

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Frame looks in pretty good condition what’s it made from?

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

frame is alloy and in good nic...the only reason this project is going ahead
cheers
joe

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:54 pm

jailbar joe wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm
frame is alloy and in good nic...the only reason this project is going ahead
I thought it looked like aluminium but i was not sure as manufacturers made a thing of aluminium flames in the 2000 era giving the impression it was new thing.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:55 pm

JJ,

That Yankee Fairlane I'm guessing is 1956 and looks identical to my 1957 Customline that I bought in 1961 except for the 2 doors, left hand drive, wheels and colour.

Oz Ford brought them in with the 4 door sedan as the Customline and the ute as the Mainline. Dad had a brand new red 1956 Mainline.
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 am

correct ot 1956 fairlane victoria to be exact......and you are also right about the 4 door customlines being imported.....but... the ute/mainline was a completely home grown affair,they were
never made in the states....purely australian just like vegemite.
cheers
joe

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:02 am

When I was doing my apprenticeship I used to get a lift to work with a bloke in a mainline ute he would only bother with using two gears first and third.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks for that JJ,

Being an old Ford man you'd think I would have known that about the Mainline. I've never looked up their history and based my incorrect comments purely on memories from the times of Dad's and my purchases.

My 57 Customline also introduced me to my first serious car maintenance. I took the V8 heads off for a valve grind and also pulled the auto-trannie back (not out) to replace the torque convertor leaking oil seal.

Prior to this work, all done on my own, I'd only ever worked on my push bike and the most complicated bit was dismantling my Sturmey-Archer internal gear hub. Typically I did this not because of a fault but purely to see how they worked. So the Customline was a steep learning curve and perhaps a bit like you said, jumping in at the deep end without a care or concern. Oh to be young again :roll:
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Old Techo wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 am
Oh to be young again

it's okay ol techo....i've been around the block a few times also.....i am a retired pensioner that has not grown up yet :lol:
cheers
joe

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi Joe,
What a great looking vehicle or two or three you have and they will look great towing the York as I am sure from what I have seen will be restored to better than new.

Electric brakes are OK these days since they did away with the old round magnets and went to oval magnets. They can still be cantankerous at times but overall are a good option.

Now I see a problem looming with you being a Ford person as its bad enough with OT on about Fords now we have two Ford enthusiasts.

JR
:razz:

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm

J.REEVES wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:23 pm
Now I see a problem looming with you being a Ford person as its bad enough with OT on about Fords now we have two Ford enthusiasts.
Yes JR :D

As I've explained before.... remaining a loyal Ford fan as the Prados do poorly around Bathurst..... even without a caravan ;-)

Regards, Old Techo

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:23 pm

The only times Fords do well around Bathurst is when there is a Holden pushing them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
glanyard

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Browny_r33
Been here for a while

Post by Browny_r33 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:12 pm

F ound
O n
R ubbish
D ump
Cheers
Norm & Jan

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Don't you listen to'em Joe. :roll:
Fords are an icon here, as are Holden, but if you're all very honest with yourselves you'd admit neither holds a candle to the Datsuns. ;-)

Now, that said, and to get back on topic...........more pics Joe :?:
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:09 pm

hahaha forums are the same whatever the topic....don't take much to get a bit of banter happening :lol: :lol: :lol: and it's a good thing too..

lance had datsun stopped at the 1600 they would still be enjoying a good following...great little car.....

j.r. i am hoping your right about leccy brakes coz i am leaning very much in that direction....as i stated..my first van had them (35 years ago) and at the time maybe they were too new and
not all the bugs worked out of them ???? anyway it is now 2018 and and they have been around a long time and hopefully more people are conversant with them...time will tell and like everything
else in life...if they don't perform..out they go and something else will go in....only nuts and bolts...so no problem

will try and scare up some more pics
cheers joe
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 pm

okay the telly has it's usual rubbish showing and i'm bored so piccy time....
this is obviously the roof side of the ceiling....water damage was abundant....what i found interesting is where all the wires are...it was stuffed full of poly styrene and where the wire came onto contact with the foam the foam was melted from the heat going thru the wires...now that to me is scary
the same roof...i have kept it intact so as to use as a template seeing i have decided to reuse the roof skin
and now the chassis....a pleasant surprise :roll: the 3 centre rails are made of folded sheetmetal about 1.2 mm and had not rusted out but were deeply pitted....so chopped them out and used patio tube in there place...more robust.....also the outer rails that support the side of the van where pretty r/s so had some new galvinised stuffed folded up replaced it
needed to flip the chassis over so my trusty gantry came in handy
so i then cracked out my trusty sandblaster and got into it....it may look dodgy but because i do most things on my own..i do make it safe.... the local hospital is as sick of me as i am of them

i prefer to work with clean metal and eliminate as much rust as possible....if i can't treat it then i chop it out...it's only steel.
thanks for looking in
cheers joe
cheers
joe

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:43 pm

The blasting helmet is something to behold. One of the worst jobs I have done is sandblasting even with the right gear as it is hot and lugging the heavy blasting hose.
As for the polystyrene it could be the other way around as polystyrene in contact with PVC insulation is not allowed due to the chemical reaction and leaching of the plasticisers from the PVC.

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:52 am

As I'm sure the finished refurbished van will be over 750 kgs, you will, by law, have to have brakes and there is non better than electric.
I have had Tekonsha and Redarc and have found the latter to be superior as there is no real setting up required, there is one small control knob to adjust with and they are Australian made by the well known electronics firm in SA.
glanyard

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:59 am

Hi again Joe,
Electrical Safety Board Notice:
TPS/PVC cables in contact with polystyrene products
TPS/PVC cable insulation can be compromised by a chemical reaction if it is in contact with polystyrene. Make sure you check the insulation is undamaged before installing this cable and always follow the cable manufacturer’s instructions.
The plasticiser in cable insulation PVC to make it flexible and tough is not chemically bonded to the PVC and will slowly leach out of the cable over time. The process of cable losing plasticisers increases when the cable is in contact with other materials, such as polystyrene and polyurethane. The leaching of the plasticiser will cause the cable’s PVC material to become harder, more brittle and prone to cracking. This could mean live conductors will be exposed, and possibly result in electric shock or fire.
One significant factor that affects the rate of leaching is the size of the contact area between the cable and polystyrene. The larger the contact area, the quicker the rate of plasticiser leaching out. The rate of the cable’s deterioration will vary with the installation conditions.
It may mean that the cable becomes unsafe to work near during maintenance, repairs or building alterations, meaning that the cable may need to be replaced sooner than expected.

Typical installations where cabling was used in conjunction with polystyrene products are:
• caravans
• cold rooms
• transportable buildings
• wall or roofing insulation material.

New installations
Select a cable with protective sheath material that the manufacturer confirms can be installed in contact with materials such as polystyrene and polyurethane. Alternatively cables should be installed so there is no direct contact between the cable and polystyrene.
If installing cables that haven’t been proven suitable for direct contact with polystyrene or polyurethane, either:
• install the cable in a suitable conduit
• leave an air gap between the cable and the polystyrene
• apply a suitable barrier between the cable and the polystyrene.

Existing installations
If you are conducting work in an area where you identify a cable in contact with materials such as polystyrene and polyurethane, check to see if the cable has become hard and brittle. If it hasn’t become hard or brittle, consider actions to remove the contact. If the cable has become hard and brittle, replace it.

Electrical Safety Office
1300 362 128
electricalsafety.qld.gov.au
Last updated
04 August 2016

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/forms-a ... e-products

This insulation problem has been talked about on the forum but not many people would know about it unless you were an electrician.

Yes electric brakes are used by most caravan manufactures. You do have an option of using 10” or 12” but if you go for 12” your wheels will need to be 15” or bigger. Usually if the van is not to heavy the 10” will do up to.

The attached table gives you some idea of brake size to van weight. So with a van of 1.8tonne and wheel diameter of 630mm you could get away with 10” brakes.
Brake selection.JPG
JR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:10 am

engel how anybody could do sandblasting as a job has me baffled....yuk

your right glanyard it will be over the 750 mark?? and no way would it not have brakes.....i had a tekonsha unit on my first set up....maybe this time i can get it all to work together.

big response there JR thanks for that info....what i found with the cabling was not so much the cable braking down but more the foam dissolving and bonding to the cable...i put it down to heat
but obviously chemical reaction comes into play....i'll stick to what i know and talk to the experts on that one

from the table you have supplied i think i will be pretty safe with 10 inch brakes and 14 inch wheels ...i'm not expecting to get to the 1.8 tonne but stuff sneaks up on you and i will be
very aware of it

thanks chaps
joe
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:42 pm

howdy all i seem to have fall in a hole...not much happening of late..but that has changed as of today....went on a shopping spree and came home with....
9 leaf springs 1140 kg swl
axle 45mm sq 1400kg
u bolt set
wheel bearing set ford
10 inch electric brakes
50mm coupling
2x14 rim and tyres

and the best part of it is i still had change out of $1000.......now that i have all that i still have to wait to do anything with them :roll: due to the cyclone activity up north we are have rain
and plenty of it it seems...predicting rain for at least 3 days....here in york we don't usually get the backlash from storms but this one is different.

i guess it gives me time to work out a plan of attack instead of the usual gungho approach just as soon as things get underway pics will follow
cheers
joe
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 pm

back with a bit more.....the chassis has all it's bits welded back in now
and now it has a new longer and more substantiational a frame....don't worry about the jockey wheel or hitch...only temporary.
when not working on the chassis this is how i store under cover.....the car being not very tall fits under easily
then when i want to work on it i just push my trailor under neath it....
and then just lower the hoist and drop the chassis onto the traiolor and wheel it outside to work on it

once outside i can weld and grind to my hearts content.....at the moment i am setting up the up rated springs and axle and leccy brakes......it would seem that i need to pay a bit more attention to the draw bar re the welding of as i have learnt from another thread....i have a new hitch and jockey wheel to go on so ?????
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am

G'day JJ,

Thanks for the pics :D

Your box trailer looks worse than mine. A feat not easily achieved :roll:

That is smart use of your space putting the chassis up on the hoist ;-)

I'm envious of that hoist of yours. I have only a poor man's version with my ramp I made from 5" x 5" x 5/8" gal angle. Not much fun using it in winter.

Can I have a few hoist specs please, if you don't mind?
- lift height
- lift capacity
- single or 3 phase motor
- is it weather resistant or must be under cover?
- any hydraulics or is it some sort of screw-thread lift?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 pm

hi OT
wow....that is an impressive structure :shock: and i'm sure it works well but the first step out the door looks to be a doozy :shock: actually i had planned to do something similar
but thankfully the hoist came along.

nowadays a hoist can be bought quite cheaply...even a new is not that bad if you like Chinese....... the one i have is an australian built in S.A. called a tecalamit some of the specs....
2.5 tonne safe load.....but will lift at least 3.5 tonne safely
3 phase power
1.8 m from floor to bottom of lift arms......but wheels will dangle below this obviously
screw drive lift....absolutely the safest method in my opinion....with chain drive at floor level to drive both posts at same time
i have seen them in an permanent outdoor situation with no protective cover so believe it to be an safe option

as stated they can be bought for little money second hand....i paid $500.00 for mine and had it checked out by experts only replacing minor things and giving it a coat of paint.
should the load get stuck at height or power goes out they can be wound down manually...very slow but you can do it.....and because it is screw drive it is impossible to fall down..
sometime when the weather is bad i stack the cars...one up on hoist and one underneath (no oil drips ) giving me space to work undercover
when we built this house i was adamant i wanted 3 phase and since then i have reaped the rewards by being able to buy a lathe and and a big air compressor quite cheaply as not everyone
can accommadate 3 phase gear
i might add that my shed is from memory is 17x8 m with a 3m wall height not sure of gable height but reasonably shallow...the hoist is set up so the roof part of the car is centred
in the gable....up to this point i have not flattened any roof's :lol: :lol: .....as you would imagine the uses for a hoist are many and not just related to cars...

lastly...you mention my poor old trailer ....well i keep saying when i finish this project i will clean up the trailer....that was 3 projects ago :lol:
if you need any more info just shout.
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:05 pm

jailbar joe wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 pm
i'm sure it works well but the first step out the door looks to be a doozy :shock:

i might add that my shed is from memory is 17x8 m with a 3m wall height not sure of gable height but reasonably shallow...the hoist is set up so the roof part of the car is centred
in the gable....up to this point i have not flattened any roof's :lol: :lol: .....as you would imagine the uses for a hoist are many and not just related to cars...
The first step :lol:

I should have mentioned that. I just took some pics. I made sliding steps so they can be positioned depending upon how far up the ramp one drives. It is not always to the top because that is too high for working on certain parts of a vehicle, like radiator, bumper, tow-bar.

Also in shot is the ramp width adjustment being a screw rotated by the 1970 Fairlane steering wheel, once belongem to my decades ago deceased brother. It is a nice reminder that he still helps me. The other end of the ramp width is adjusted by crowbar and it slides along the bottom rail. To keep the working area clear the high end lateral bracing is on the outside. The highest point on the ramp is 1.7 metres but that of course is the bottom of the tyre.

I designed the ramp with the drop off to help bring it closer to level and also balance the weight so that a vehicle won't roll backwards. This is fine for almost every job but when I fitted an auto-trannie cooler I had to add auto fluid. This is quite tricky with the Prado as it must be very close to normal road attitude and the auto temp must be in a narrow heat range. It was this need that had me add the mini-ramps for the rear wheels to get the Prado level. They are normally lowered dead flat and I drive over them, straddling with front and read wheels. Then I lift the mini-ramps and hold them up about 10 inches with adjustable props that lock into position. See last pic.

My biggest shed is farmer style one side open 15 x 9 m so very similar to yours. I knew the entrance clearance was 3 metres for the caravan but I had to go and measure the gable ridge height. It is also shallow at 3.8 metres. I guess if you cope then I could too. Perhaps not lift tall vehicles, like the Prado, to full height.

It makes sense that 3 phase stuff would be cheaper but I imagined only by the cost of a single phase motor. My lathe came with a 3 phase motor and I bought a new 1 horse single reversible for about $100. I have 2 phases but 3 phase now exists out front.

Thanks for those hoist specs. Maybe time to check the second hand market.

PS - excuse the mess around the ramp. A big clean up of sheds is in progress. They are loose lengths of angle leaning on the ramp right side.

ramp5.jpg
ramp6.jpg
ramp7.jpg
ramp8.jpg
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm

very impressive OT...i guess the only thing missing in your set up is some kleats on the ramp to aid traction and a bit of feel as you go up....
re the height for working under a vehicle in relation to gable height....i forgot to mention i'm only a little bugger
cheers
joe

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Looks like you got on to a surplus tower as I have seen that steel in them.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm

A good eye Engel,

I got the 2 top sections of a 150 foot tower. They are each 20 foot sections and the only parallel part of the tower as from there down it spreads out to a much wider footprint.

I still have 4 more 5" x 5" x 20 foot angles and thinking of making a caravan ramp. Just a shallow climb to maybe 3 feet so it is easier to crawl under. I move the van around with a tow-ball on the front of the old Fergie so could push it up the ramp.

JJ,

Yes, some cleats could be handy in wet weather as wet steel is very slippery. No probs in the dry, even for the front wheel drive Hyundai ix35.

I do have some sheets of heavy gal expanded steel used for personnel decking on the tower. I've thought about cutting that into 1 foot wide strips and attaching it to the ramp. Mind you, I've been thinking about that for 15 years :roll:
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 pm

howdy i'm back again...have not fallen of the planet....had some health issues and then the cook decided she needed a new hip so been running round like a one legged cat...
no different to most other people going thru the same stuff :roll:
anyway am now back on the van....and need a bit of advise...

i have purchased these stabiliser legs for the front of the van which never had them....and not sure which way is the better way to mount them....
should i go with the top pic or the bottom pic ???? any advise welcome thanks
cheers
joe

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 pm

If it was me; I'd go for the top pic because it would be more stabilized.
glanyard

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 pm

i prefer the bottom pic theyre on outside rail n easy to reach plus being outside gives wider stability i think.

love your work on the van but im a car nut too ,love the viccy. the utes are sweet as...

anyway keep pics coming if you get time ok.. cheers rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am

Sorry JJ, been busy.....

Welded outboard

Will give widest stance (max stability) when the legs are vertical or angled outwards
When the legs cannot be lowered passed say 60 degrees (towards vertical) the feet will have a narrower stance
Good leg locking mechanism access

Welded inboard

When the legs cannot be lowered passed 60 degrees (towards vertical) the feet will have a wider stance
May hinder leg locking mechanism access behind gas bottles, bikes, stone skirt, or other A-frame fitted stuff

I suspect the norm is to mount the legs at right-angles to either of your proposals i.e. to have them dropping fore/aft rather than laterally. It is a matter of access to a structural member

Seven years ago I replaced my 2004 original wind-down legs with drop-downs. I bought the shortest option but still needed to cut off about 50 mm (by cutting on 2 occasions) to enable or pass through vertical. Since then I raised my van by 45 mm yet still find situations where I cannot drop to vertical.

viewtopic.php?p=114912#p114912
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 am

thanks for your reply glanyard and rredbeak .......hmmmm......seems like it comes down to personal choice.......

i was leaning to the top one as it puts the foot at the wider footprint...but...i guess i'm probably over thinking it...pro's and con's both ways

i guess it will be the top one only because it has an intersecting rail which will give a better weld area......

thanks for the kind words on my cars rredbeak
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 am

just caught your post OT thanks for reply......am i reading this correctly that these legs are designed to drop down to vertical and then the foot is wound down to to give upward
pressure to the van....

as previously stated my last experience with vans was nearly 40 years ago and then the wind down legs came down and rested at about 45 deg ...
looks like i was reading it all wrong (not unusual) and i thought this was the simple part :roll:
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:17 pm

JJ,

They look like AL-KO legs and unless they have changed the design they have several locking positions.

Vertical, a bit off vertical, a lot off vertical and fully stowed. They can be used in all of these positions.

I use vertical and a bit off vertical, the latter by choice and at times no choice with not enough dropping room due sloping ground.

Sometimes I have to use vertical and wound almost right out with blocks under the foot to reach the ground.

During our trip last month our van park site at Talbingo NSW was so sloped that I had 4 inch blocks under both wheels on one side and the drawbar coupling resting on the ground. In that case I could not use the front legs at all.

The smaller the van the less the issue with sloping ground.

You unbolt the U channel section to weld it to frame but when refitting those bolts do not tighten too much or it will 'clamp' the locking mechanism and the leg will not move. It seems they were designed to be left loose enough to rattle.

By chance I got my van out of the shed this morn so took these pics a few minutes ago. I couldn't see the screen properly in the bright sun so shot a bit low for the first pic. This is the leg in its stowed or travelling position...

leg1.jpg

This is worst case use position when short of ground clearance. Note that I did not loosen the pivoting foot as I did not have the tool handy...

leg2.jpg

I use this angle at times for increased stability i.e. avoiding the house on unbraced stilts wobbles. I have one leg leaning forward and one back...

leg3.jpg

Obviously vertical and it will swing all of the way forward with the same locking angles. I wind the leg height screw up/down with a socket I welded to a bit of round steel and stick that in the chuck of a cordless drill...

leg4.jpg
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm

thanks for going to the trouble with those pic's OT it explains a lot and tells me that the simple...aint....so simple.....

seems to me that "mounting" and "positioning" don't necessarily go hand in hand but more of a compromise between the two

i now have a better understanding so again thanks for the info
cheers
joe

hank
Cracked the big time

Post by hank » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:27 pm

The legs on my van face the rear of the van when wound up, If for some reason the leg was to fall down, not clicked in properly etc, the leg would drag along the ground,. If it faced forward, in the case of the leg falling down, there could be quite some damage caused to the van or tow vehicle as it digs into the road.
Just a thought seeing you are fitting them.

Hank

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm

My rear drop down legs swing across the van towards the centre. The front ones swing rearwards.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Jay&dee
Cracked the big time

Post by Jay&dee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:50 am

Joe, My view is that there are some very talented people in this world, and you are one of them. I must have been hiding behind the DOOR when they gave out knowledge like you have.
Wow!!! man you are doing a great job.
Hope to share a XXXX (Beer) or two with you if we cross paths some where in the great outback.
Hep!!! Keep us posted.
Jay&Dee

Jay&dee
Cracked the big time

Post by Jay&dee » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:55 am

Old Techo,
Tell me what is the sling bag thingo under the van for.
Is there where you carry your fire wood????
Jay&Dee

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:43 am

Jay&dee wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:55 am
Old Techo,
Jay&Dee
J&D,

A pic is worth 1k words....
http://candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 30#p161030

It is sagging in the pic in this 'york' topic coz the 2 swing arms are folded back.
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 pm

hank and peterd...very valid point to consider....got busy over the weekend so not done yet
jay&dee wow ...i'm not sure how you arrived at that opinion as i have not done anything yet :lol:
but i will gladly have a beer with you
cheers
joe

Jay&dee
Cracked the big time

Post by Jay&dee » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:07 am

Old Techo wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:43 am
Jay&dee wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:55 am
Old Techo,
Jay&Dee
J&D,

A pic is worth 1k words....
http://candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 30#p161030

It is sagging in the pic in this 'york' topic coz the 2 swing arms are folded back.

Thanks Old T.
As usual a very professional job and reply..
Jay&Dee

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:38 am

jailbar joe wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:52 pm
hank and peterd...very valid point to consider....got busy over the weekend so not done yet
Morning JJ,

I don't share that validity view . I mounted my legs to suit me and my front legs can be stowed facing forward, although in practice I never do that.

The reason I would not be concerned is (a) the leg locking mechanism is so strong and secure, with multiple locking positions, I see no chance of one swinging down in transit.

And (b) even if a leg did swing down fully the foot would remain well above road level and not be able to make contact. It should remain several inches clear of the road to provide adequate operating range to accommodate sloping van sites.

I think the right way to install the leg would be to measure the distance the leg extends when wound out to max length and use half that extension length as the installation reference. These are not real dimensions as I've just made them up to explain. If the minimum leg length was say 18 inches and the wound-out length 30 inches then the half-distance length would be 24 inches. So I suggest the ideal mounting point on the chassis would be 24 inches above flat ground. That would give you the ability to cope equally with 6 inch variations in site slope either up or down.

In practice of course you probably won't have the luxury of choosing a variable mounting position so may have to compromise higher or lower. In my case as I explained I shortened my legs to overcome a lack of ground clearance.
Regards, Old Techo

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Here is an example of a quite large and fancy van being built.

It has independent suspension and disk brakes.

It also has both front and rear legs that can/do face forward when stowed...

van suspension.jpg
van discs.jpg
van legs.jpg
van legs front.jpg
Regards, Old Techo

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Is that an old photo or a recent one?

Why I ask is most of the manufacturers have moved to sandwich panels for speed of assembly and I suspect price.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Engel,

They are 4 of 77 progressive pics I have ranging from mid Aug to late Sep 2016. So about 18 months ago.

Many vans are still made this way.
Regards, Old Techo

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm

If its not too late JJ...........

I would weld them close to the outside edge but not too close (say 50 mm back) as later on you will be wrapping the wall cladding or other trim around the lower outer edge to seal it. I welded mine so they can swing either way across the van at the rear for better stability and stop side to side fish tail wobbling at the back. The front ones can swing down either way forward and aft to stop front to back wobbling. That way the front ones work 90 degrees from the back ones for max stability.

Also I hope you allowed for axle and spring sag when you picked the lengths of these stabilizers because as you build the van up to finish stage the chassis will definitely be sitting closer to the ground. Then with use and payload it gets even closer!

Keep up the good work, am watching with great interest.

Cheers - ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 pm

firstly thanks to all that have commented and offered advise i do appreciate it........it would seem i have gone off half cocked which is pretty normal for me....
yesterday being a balmy 38 degree with high humidity i decided it was a good day to spend welding....as you do....
well i made a decision on the front stabiliser and here are the results.....what i did was weld in another tube crossmember which gave me a stable platform to weld the stabiliser pad to
and this allowed me to place the leg right at the front and allow for the leg to swing forward and backward along the frame....at this point i am not worried about the length of the leg as
i will shorten it when the van is finished....that way it won't be too short....i hope

so that is the leg done....whether it is right or wrong only time will tell.......i think this is the best position? as it is just about at it's widest point on the van....adding the extra tube crossmember
was an easy option at this point and the location seemed about right....nothing scientific about it
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 pm

the next thing i wanted to address was the water tanks....i am using 3 x59 litre tanks.....2 for shower and drinking and one for grey water...
in front of the first tank you can just make out the angle iron welded between the rails...i did the same at the rear of that tank

in between the 2 rear tanks i welded a piece of tube and on this added some inch strap with captive nuts welded to them.....what you can't see in this pic but is visible in the first one
is that these 2 tanks are fitted between a factory fitted channel cross brace....these i have drilled to correspond with centre straps and these are my mounting points for the straps that will hold the tanks in place

i hope my descriptions make sense to you or are self explanatory enough for you....
coming from a car back ground i tend to make things not to break and this van build will in places seem like i am going over board and putting too much weight in it....well i think i have that covered with my axle/spring upgrade and the fact that the end use will not see it overloaded or even load to capacity.....but again...time will
if anyone sees a problem with what i am doing feel free to mention......after all...i am just a learner :D thanks for looking in

quite an impressive van build OT
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:07 am

G'day JJ,

Re tanks, I assume you are going to wrap them in protective sheet?

I went through my zillion van pics but struggled to find any specifically of the tanks. So this is the best I can do.

You can see one tank wrapped in some flat gal sheet with the tanks support straps around the outside.

You can also see in the second pic where I retro fitted a water level gauge sensor, so don't forget that.

tank1.jpg
tank3.jpg
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:30 am

all good OT just need to get some sheetmetal folded for the tanks then i will make the straps and that will be another of the list...

we have the caravan and camping show on in claremont starting next wednesday...so i will be there with notebook and camera.......and some money :lol:
cheers
joe

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:52 am

Personally I think flat sheet is too flimsy to do the required task so went with 1.6mm chequer plate aluminium for my build (you can also get a 1.4mm in some states), it depends where you are going to drag your van. Stone damage will soon panel beat whatever is under there.

JJ – with 3 small tanks I would suggest you rethink the choice of combined drinking / shower tanks and then 1 as a grey tank. If it were me then a separate drinking (potable tank) is mandatory and then make the other 2 shower tanks. It is easy to shower in bore or suspect water but harder to stomach the same.
Only need for grey water if you are camping in national parks and they specifically say must you have grey water to capture waste.
I have also fitted a suction hose at the rear of the van so my shower pump can suck water from a bucket, dam or creek etc. if water is nearby. So have a think about that as well.
I went through my zillion van pics but struggled to find any specifically of the tanks. So this is the best I can do.
OT – all you had to do was look here. JJ - might also help you as pictures on my van build are all pretty clear for the purpose of other home van builders.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7913&start=130

Cheers - ALLAN

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 pm

allan that is one mighty fine build you have there and great workmanship have looked at it before but did not realise it was yours.....

the tanks i have will be one for drinking and one for shower and one for grey water......i do not plan at this point to do much extended vanning which is why i am keeping it simple
and minimal ....it will be more as an extension to my hot rodding.

the tank cover will be more inline with what you have done as i do not wish to confine myself to the bitumen it does not faze me to get my cars dirty or the odd stone chips.

thanks for the ongoing tips they are appreciated
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:11 am

Bussy wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:52 am
Personally I think flat sheet is too flimsy to do the required task so went with 1.6mm chequer plate aluminium for my build (you can also get a 1.4mm in some states), it depends where you are going to drag your van. Stone damage will soon panel beat whatever is under there.
Allan,

The chequer plate of yours looks wonderful but I am not convinced the flat gal is not up to the job. I reckon stiff thicker ally is more likely to show a dent than thinner more flexible steel. I suggest that the steel is far more 'springy' and will absorb some stone hit energy by having greater 'give' but that is merely my theory.

I decided to go crawl under my van and take some proper pics. These are shots of both tanks. Neither has a single visible stone hit. They have the odd stain and the typical gal flowery patterns but apart from being dull are little different to when new. It appears that one of the tank straps was tightened at manufacture by putting a little twist in it as that has always been there. That is how I tighten my ringlock fencing ;-)

My van is now 14 years old and I've done nearly 108,000 actual van kms. We are not regular off-roaders but have driven the Birdsville track 1.5 times plus the Oodnadatta track.
Regards, Old Techo

hank
Cracked the big time

Post by hank » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 am

I agree with Old Techo, my van has not done as many Ks as his and the gal sheet is still fine. We did have one of the straps break a couple of years ago causing the tank to fall to the ground on one side, sadly the side that fell was not the side with inlet or outlet, and the tank being full was extremely heavy. The bolts holding it up were fitted with nylock nuts and as they are very long you cant get a socket on them I dont carry tube spanners so it took a while with just a shifter. We then isolated the other tank which kept us going till we got home.
Luckily the tank and the cover survived and refitted upon our return home with 3 new straps on each tank. It wont fall off again.
Full of water these tanks weigh in excess of 100Kg which is a fair bit of weight bouncing around under there.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2010 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:44 pm

howdy guys nothing to report...still waiting for my tank covers....promised before easter....but...waiting waiting waiting.....so started mounting up the tow hitch and
capping the ends of the draw bar....no vans around to checkout so as usual tried to outsmart myself and make it complicated however it is nearly done....
got some pics in the camera but not handy at the moment....progress is slow :roll:
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:00 pm

well finally got a chance to get something happening.....
got the draw bar plate on and drilled for tow hitch
welded some crush tubes into the rails
tow hitch fits fine....only temp bolts....the rails have been capped..but no pic ???
we move on and here is the prposed lay out for the water tanks
and since i got my tank covers folded up i have now made the tank straps to hold them in and they are now secured in place
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:10 pm

the tank covers are made of 1.2mm gal and extend longer than the tanks so that the hoses and fittings are also protected ....the straps are 3mm x50mm...once the frame is in final paint
i have some 50..x6mm self adhesive rubber that will go on the rails between the tanks and frame to cushion the plastic

and that pretty much is where i am up to at this minute i haven't worried about aligning the tanks as i will now take it all apart and sandblast the new welds then prime and paint the whole frame...at that point it will be finished and i will start on the floor.

i just hope i can get a bit of regular progress as i am finding the stopping and starting frustrating but i guess when life gets in the way thats the way it is :roll:
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:12 pm

well things are moving again

here it is all painted and looking a thing of beauty
i guess the frame is now "finished" to the point i can now start fitting the body to it......the plan at this point is to fit the floor to it ...hopefully this week and then move it
to the other end of the shed and fit the body back on....

so this got me thinking....how am i going to move it around in the shed.....hmmmm.....i was thinking of making a trolley to sit it on but that would have been not so good,
so after many beers and head scratching i got a brain wave....i think
as i was sitting in my thinking chair having a beer i spied the plates for the van stabilisers and then it hit me....i needed another beer
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 pm

so i made these up... and they go

here like this....one in each corner....the observant will notice a bit of a difference to the loose ones....this is the mk2 version....the reason behind doing this is because
i plan on leaving all the suspension off till the end as with the new suspension the van will be a bit higher than when the van went into the shed and thus too tall to exit thru the roler door
so at the end when the van is basically sealed up i will add the suspension once the van is outside

this will leave the van a lot lower to step in amd out of and work on
so far it sounds like a good plan...time will tell

thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:56 am

love ur work . love the pics too rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am

Hi Joe,
Very nice work there.
It looks like you have used a good size gauge stone cover on your tanks.
I have found that where the pipes leave the tank also need protecting as if they sustain a rock hit they can snap off.
I have attached a couple of photos of what you can expect from stone damage if you travel gravel roads quite often.
I attach ¼” rubber on the front of the stone guards to help reduce damage to the stone guard.

One of my stone guards after a long outback trip, note the stone you collect and the dents in the front of the guard. As bad as it looks it is easy to panel beat out the dents. My guards are held on with four bolts and can be removed without dropping the tank.
Front Stone Guard text.jpg
Close up of front corner of stone guard with rubber on the front.
Front of guard.jpg
Example of mud lap after a big outback trip.
Mud Flap.jpg
JR

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:04 pm

thanks rredbeak glad you are enjoying the build...

thanks J.REEVES my tank covers are substantial enough...i think... what was not noticable was that the tanks fit into the covers and the covers extend about a 100mm
beyond the tank fittings which i think should be enough to shield them from road debris....if not...then i will modify them to suit but for the moment i am trying to keep
things simple in the hope of finishing this sooner rather than later

yesterday i bought my 12mm flooring and today i got it pretty well roughed in...was too late for a pic...maybe tomorrow....all of a sudden it seems i have turned a corner.
stay tuned
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:36 pm

just curious what is the general opinion of tek screwing the floor down as apposed to pop rivets ??????
i'm thinking counter sunk phillip head tek screws.....what are your thoughts ????
cheers
joe

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Yes Tech screws,
I used Tech screws on my van floor about eleven years ago plus ran a reasonable quantity of liquid nail on each chassis rail where the floor was to be screwed to the chassis.

Never had one screw come out works well no sign of the floor coming away from the chassis and we have travelled some very ordinary roads over the years.

JR

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:18 pm

JJ,

My Roadstar has waterproof ply flooring and is both glued and screwed then covered in timber patterned lino.
Regards, Old Techo

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:56 am

Old Techo wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:18 pm
JJ,

My Roadstar has waterproof ply flooring and is both glued and screwed then covered in timber patterned lino.
Lino? Really? I just looked it up on Wikipedia and discovered its makeup; solidified linseed oil, pine rosin, calcium carbonate, cork powder and wood flour. I didn't know it still existed.
I betcha mean vinyl.
glanyard

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:22 am

Glannie,

You are technically correct ;-)

However.... if someone told me they had a floor covering of vinyl it would mean almost zero to me. It conveys no useful image.

Now if they said lino then I immediately understand :)
Regards, Old Techo

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 am

Or is it Linoleum😎
Sid
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:48 pm

hahaha thanks for the replies guys....my understanding of tek screws is that they work well even with out the added glue and have yet to
see one work loose

i guess that pretty much solved the fixing down of the board.....but not going to get into the floor covering...be it lino or vynil :mrgreen:
might even go for fake grass just for the hell of it....just kidding

might have some pics later...just got to pull my finger out and do the job first......stay tuned
cheers
joe

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Cyclone wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:59 am
Or is it Linoleum😎
Sid
It is indeed "Linoleum";an Aussie typically shorten word.
glanyard

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:23 pm

got a bit more done today so here are the results

got my flooring all worked out and cut to size...as you can see having a hoist comes in so handy...everything is always at the right height.....marked out where all the floor rails are....
the narrow strips of tin you can see are my bendable straight edges....had them guilotined from some thin sheeting for building my cars and they have proven to be invaluable.
silly buggar marking out the floor rails from underneath
and now we come to the sad stuff....someting i had not figured into the equation....because i plan on have a shower/toilet at thwe front of the van...i did not allow or even think of
the fact ....because the front of the van curves down to meet the floor it means that the shower base would be some 12 inches from the front wall :roll: so that means
that i now have to square off the front of the van at floor level....the overhang shown in the above pic shows how much i have to add....so i made the flooring to suit and when it is getting painted
i will add some steel to the front part of the chassis.....not a big problem...just a pain.
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:27 pm

any way i got the underneath side of the floor primed ready for paint so during the week i will paint the underneath and add the extra bit at the front and screw it
all together......the underneath is going to be painted gloss white ... the reason for that and also the frame being painted silver is if i have to work under there at some point
at least it will make it easier to see
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:44 pm

jailbar joe wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:48 pm
I guess that pretty much solved the fixing down of the board.....but not going to get into the floor covering...be it lino or vynil :mrgreen:
might even go for fake grass just for the hell of it....just kidding
Lino is still available and made in Oz - [ur=https://www.armstrongflooring.com/comme ... made.htmll]See Armstrong Australia[/url] It seems that it is less toxic in a fire - Present day.

There is your history lesson for the day.
PeterD

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:48 pm

we never stop learning :lol: :lol:
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm

not a lot to report been working on the problem at the front of van where i had to extend floor to compensate for the upcoming toilet
shower.....
this is the extension and it is all made out of patio tube as i don't see it as being a load bearing problem...
i have located the ply that i will be using for the interior, what a pain it was locating it...but in the end i managed to get it for $45.00 a sheet.....first quote was
$65.00 a sheet...so pretty pleased with that....hopefully tomorrow the floor will go down for the last time and the frame dropped on.....we will see
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat May 05, 2018 8:02 pm

had a good day in the shed managed to lay the ply floor....
found this silly ol bugger to do the hard work
and he didn't do a bad job for a first timer.....just managed to remember to place the wheel arches in....it had been so long i had forgotten how they went for a minute
then the moment of truth ...reuniting the body with the chassis.....touch and go for a minute...but my helper (??) came in useful for a change......it's been so long since
it was pulled apart but a good feeling once it came together....and so far the modifications that were made seemed to work out...
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun May 06, 2018 5:13 pm

can anybody give me a measurement for how high the seat bases are without the cushions please.....
cheers
joe

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 am

That depends upon how thick your cushions are going to be.
PeterD

hank
Cracked the big time

Post by hank » Mon May 07, 2018 9:26 am

If you make the cushions too thick it makes it difficult to slide along to get under the table, make them of dense foam , soft but firm. I found the cushions in my van are a little soft so sliding along the seat is difficult.

Hank
Hank and Sue
2012 Prado GXL 3L Turbo Diesel
2010 Royal Flair 21ft Designer series

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am

Just measured my Spaceland Tourer. The seat base is 320 mm high and the cushion is 140 mm thick (probably 5" foam.)

The bed base is 420 mm high and the dunny door underneath is 350 mm high.
PeterD

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon May 07, 2018 11:01 am

thanks for that tip hank...

thanks PeterD for those measurements and even the dunny door one will be useful :lol: :lol:
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed May 09, 2018 8:12 pm

howdy all still plugging along...slowly... i have made up a frame for the rear of the van in steel (no pics sorry) and this will be the load bearer for the drop down bed..
still playing with the layout of the van....nearly on top of it...when i work out how to scan a pic i will put one up.

have just ordered my internal lining and joiner strips...just got to wait till friday to go pick them up.....thats part of the problem with the updates ...
everything is a 250km round trip for me....somewhat of a pain but that is what you get for living in paradise..

anyway...i think i had better start thinking about...toilets,stoves,and fridges.....what is a simple type fridge...not looking for a big one ...the last one we had was a 3 way ???
anything better?????
for the toilet....i am thinking cassette type ?? 40 years ago this what not even a consideration...ease of use/operation/smell ??
and stove...not overly fussed about oven...just something that works reasonably well...

wont worry about all the electric stuff for the moment....i do realise it is part of the picture but just sorting out the bulky stuff and how to fit them...

any help on these subjects appreciated
cheers
joe

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi Joe, great to see that your project is progressing well.
Don’t forget to weld little foot rests for your wind up stabilizers when they are wound up and out of the way. You can wind the feet into them so the legs don’t just “hang there” on the locking pins. I found mine invaluable when travelling through corrugations as they gave the legs something to sit on and prevented the legs and mechanisms from shaking themselves to pieces. Will post a pic to show you what I mean when I get a chance.

One thing I find incredulous is that your thread is only 5 months old and only 10 pages but has 58,169 views, most of which seem to have come from the same mac address? A web bot maybe as it would take several years with this forum in slowdown mode to clock up numbers like that.

Cheers - ALLAN

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri May 11, 2018 4:53 pm

g'day allan thanks for the kind words....i fully understand what you are implying with the "leg rests" and will look into them at another time
as i think they can be added quite easily....

yes i often wonder about the view count and how quikly it has accumulated ...quite a flattering number....but i am also a realist and don't think it to be an accurate number...
who knows by the end of the build it could be in the millions :o :o
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri May 18, 2018 9:39 pm

after all that i needed a beer
well because the van in original form had 13 inch wheels and even they where hard to get out.....and with the suspension upgrade i added larger 14 inch wheels i thought
i had better enlarge the wheel openings....the original
the shape of the new opening.....had me scratching my noggin for a bit
all cut out and stitched up....if i can't get the wheel out now....i'll drive it flat
okay some real fun stuff....on the rear of the van i am changing the shape simply by leaving out some rotted timber,plus the fact i prefer the new shape......
this required me to make some curved channel...in alloy....not the easiest stuff to work with... so what i am doing is curving to bits of angle and will put one inside the other to
make a channel....easy
that straight bit of alloy needs to be the shape of the curved pencil line
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 pm

thats more like it
just had to remember to make a left and a right.....now all i need to do is pop rivet them together and i have a channel....see easy

i am trying to do all my frame modifications before i start the internal cladding.......i might need to get my stove, fridge and sink just in case i need to modify that side of the wall...
i don't have the benefit of cad so everything is seat of the pants stuff....as i come to it i work it out....such is life
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 pm

not sure if i mentioned before...but if you click on the pictures they will expand to full size....
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:09 pm

good evening all...still chipping away at the van...but does not look any different so no pics......sorry

i have just been to camec and am pricing up things like....windows,fridge,sink/stove, and a few other necessities....which brings me to a question if i may....
for power to the van and throughout ...i have been advised to stick with 12/240 volts and at this point it seems to make sense.

now i will state here and now when it comes to wires,if there is more than one,then i am completely lost....never did understand this electricity stuff at all...
so...the picture i am getting is .... 240 volt power into the van,this then goes to a battery charger and on to a battery from there it all becomes 12 volts and powers all the lights and fridge
and so on....then a couple? of solar panels thrown in (somewhere).... is this being to simplistic.

the fridge will be a vitrifrigo and the sink/stove unit a dometic combi and then a gas instantaneous hot water service....not sure of the breed of bat charger at the moment,
i want to get these items and mock them into place so i can drill holes in frame and roughly run some appropriate cabling before i attach the internal walls

bearing in mind my intended use will be mainly weekends away mostly where there is power and with some free camping thrown in...i am trying to keep it all simple and
pretty basic....the only reason for the shower and toilet is to keep the cook happy otherwise it would have just been a resto job :lol:

thanks again and any help appreciated
cheers
joe

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi Joe,

For your 12 volt power and charging needs, have you considered the Redarc Manager30 battery management system at all? They're not cheap, but they are an excellent unit, made in Australia, with exceptional company support and backup for their products. The Redarc unit incorporates a 240 volt charger (plugs in to a 240v power point), a DC-DC charger fed by your tow vehicle as well as an MPPT solar controller, all in the one compact unit. It incorporates a remote control panel to program the unit and to see exactly what it is doing and what state your batteries are in. Furthermore, it is smart enough to use more than one input at a time (e.g. 12v + solar) and will alway prioritise solar if it's available.

I have fitted one to my last 2 vans and have never had any problems or battery issues. They're pretty easy to install and to connect up as it's just one unit and comes with all the instructions you need... in good, proper English! :)

Just some food for thought. Good luck with your build.

Cheers
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:58 pm

g'day gerry

thanks for that info gerry.....all this power stuff is new to me as my last caravan experience was nearly 40 years ago,and then it was 240v from an outside source
and 12volt from your car.
having read most of the threads on this site i must admit feeling overwhelmed when looking at the electrical aspect of the vans of today

at this point i have not committed to anything and i guess looking for probably the most simple method to achieve a realistic power source,
i will now do some research on what you have suggested. thanks for your help
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 pm

GerryP wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:00 pm
They're not cheap.....
I just looked them up and...... geeeeeeezus :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: for a box of electronics :roll:
Regards, Old Techo

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Not cheap, but they are a good, reliable bit of kit with great backup. If you look around you'll get it a lot cheaper than RRP though.
Cheers, Gerry

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:15 pm

hi gerry

like ot i had a look at the redarc unit and have to say looks to be a very neat bit of gear.....but wow...as you said...not cheap.

still early days so will see whats out there before making a decision....

have set myself a "flexible" target of around $10,000 for this build.....if it goes over i won't slash my wrists but don't expect it would be much over that.

on a different note...i was surprised that my little thread has been moved up with...RV BUILDERS.... joined the big league now :lol: :lol:
cheers
joe

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Yes, I agree, but you need to consider that you're buying 3 separate devices... a 240v smart charger, a dc-dc charger and a solar controller. How much would you pay for these if you bought quality units separately?

On ebay you can pick up a Redarc unit for $1400, so to me it's comparable, especially when you consider the easier install costs as well as space saving.

Geez, I sound like a Redarc salesman. :o
I assure you I'm not, just a happy customer. :)

Just throwing it out there...
Cheers, Gerry

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 pm

yep...i agree with everything you are saying and can see all the benefits of all the points you mention,and that is why i am not discounting it at the moment,

but i will still look at what else is available..... then look at the big picture before making a decision
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 am

Gerry,

My world is much simpler and cheaper. My 20 amp solar controller cost me about 25 Shekels. Here is a factory listing... https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 7346bdLjSM

I built my own DC-DC invertor for peanuts but now don't need it.

I don't have a mains powered smart charger. I have the original factory fitted Roadstar 12 volt power supply that provides a fixed 13.8 volts to run appliances and float or charge a battery.

I have no use for a battery isolator. How do you use that Redarc function?
Regards, Old Techo

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi OT,

The battery isolator function I believe is simply the dc-dc component which disconnects itself from the car if the car's battery voltage drops below a set level.

Nothing wrong with your setup mate, all we're trying to achieve is to keep the battery charged after all.

Not too sure you can much more simple though than an all-in-one unit with a single terminal strip for 12v in, solar in and battery out. Which is why I suggested it to the OP initially.

Cheers
Cheers, Gerry

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks Gerry,

I really do appreciate the convenience and simplicity of using the all-singing all-dancing Redarc.

It is just that I like both of my arms and legs ;-)
Regards, Old Techo

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Point taken mate... :)
Cheers, Gerry

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:14 pm

I personally like to keep everything separate with the 12v electrics as down the track you may need to update items.
If you ever deside to update the batteries to lithium better to have a programmable controller and also a special 240v charger for lithium.
I started with one 100AH AGM battery and one 125watt solar panel. I now have one 200AH lithium battery and 500watts of solar plus a 2500watt inverter.
Never considered to do such a thing when I first set up the van but as things become available and prices drop you may start to look at luxury items that was not on the radar to start with.

JR

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 pm

haha i gotta say,the more comments made the more confusing it gets, when you are not up to speed on the various systems
available....not that it is a problem,just means more research till the right system is decided on to suit what i NEED and not WANT.
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 pm

well the hillbilly hilton aka the york in york has taken a huge leap forward.....
fill all the screw holes and uneven surfaces of the floor
then gave the floor a couple of good coats of a water proof sealer...almost decided to leave it at that
then i decided to start cutting the internal sheets to the roof profile before the ceiling was made
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 pm

now that bought me up to the shower /toilet
i will be building a false wall which will have a door to close off that section...you will get a bit of an idea with the temporary frame work in place...
when i gutted thye van i was wondering how i was going to get a good fit with the new ply....well having no roof made it so easy....i totally forgot
how much fun it is to work with ply....but it soon came flooding back to me

had a funny lesson with the joiner strips...who would have thought something so simple would have a right and wrong way to use them....duh
i have bought new windows and will have to reduce the hole size,but that looks simple enough....i have ordered some new appliances and on there arrival
will work out how and where they will go,as i don't have a plan to work to things can and will change at anytime.

when i have all the internal sheets cut to shape i will take them out and paint the raw side of them then start on the roof structure and i think i will be able to
secure that permanently at that time.
had another surprise also...i thought the van was a 15 footer...but turns out it's only 13 foot....might need to start taking my glasses down the shed :mrgreen:

well thats pretty much where i am up to at this point in time.....the fun continues
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:55 pm

now that i have all my internal wall sheets cut to size...i have turned my attention to the ceiling...got to admit it had me scratching my head
for a while...but after a beer or 2 this is what happened...
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm

as you can see,used some mdf skirting board with a couple of check outs and this supports the ceiling,which just needs trimming to size and then when i get my roof vent?
i can start framing for the roof...simple
while i was at it.....went from this
to this
big improvement i reckon.....just need to reduce the size of the aperture to suit new window and all good
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:25 pm

still plugging away, after a couple of monumental disasters getting the internal roof up....i finally have it done
it didn't go to plan as one would like,but in the end it is what it is and i am reasonably happy with it.....you might notice i have started painting the top side.....plan on painting the whole thing when it is all clad internally.
a better shot of the ceiling......all the ally tube was needed to fill some windows that i have deleted,and with ally being light i didn't hold back
found these gizmo's for protecting the wire going thru the frame....easy to use and cheap as at jaycar
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:33 pm

started trying to work out the fold up bed cavity.....been a lengthy process ( i'm slow)
first lot of seating framed up and all of a sudden all the space has dissappeared :shock:
the cladding from the outside...have started from the rear and am working my way forward.......i was jumping from front to back and then the side.....part of the reason
progress has been so slow
have got my fridge,hotwater,pump and stove...so will focus on that side next and try and squeeze everything in.....somewhere....

well thats pretty much where i am up to at this point and hope to have regular progress from now on.....hopefully....
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 am

Ive never seen a van being built [other than a few pics here n there] but its starting to look like its going to be on heavy side..do you have a planned wight youre aiming at.or is it build n hope.. i mean it respectfully.. As carravanners we're ALL concerned by weight and i might be over reacting watching it build up.

other than that its a truly beautifull job youre doing.cant wait for the day you give it to me LOLOL rod
Image Image Image Image

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:23 pm

thanks for the compliment rredbeak.......yep it's a wait and see for the weight....not smart enough to plan that far ahead....
all the extra alloy tubing you see really weighs next to nothing and plywood is plywood......the old windows weighed a ton on there own but the newys are light
as a feather and the timber is a mix of meranti and pine.....weight wise there is no difference and i have upgraded the axle to heavier spec's.

after all that i think i should be okay even with the new shower and toilet and pres pump and hotwater??????......will either be super surprised or slash my wrists :roll: .
this is the first van i have seen being built.....i keep finding new ways to torment myself......i think an airoplane might be next :lol:

thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:01 pm

progress is slow....but better slow than not at all....been working on my overhead cupboards and they are starting to take shape
this is my method for marking out where the holes will go for the screws.....i have screwed the cupboards to the walls and ceiling...don't have much faith in staples
prefer strong
just a few clamps to hold the ply in place
just one of two of my awning lights on it's mounting board......if you look closely you will notice the rows of screws that hold the inside cupboard in place....
cutting out all the internal ply is a very tedious job as i'm sure others will agree on......at present i am trying to get all those c/boards and seats clad .....i have ply of all shapes and sizes
cutout,but have to wait for the glue to dry before i can start the next one.....apparently 22 clamps are not enough :roll: i wont worry about c/board doors till all the inside is done.

thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

rusty69911
I'm new, be nice!

Post by rusty69911 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:07 pm

none of your pics are showing? maybe its the work firewall or something haha

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:29 pm

rusty69911 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:07 pm
Or using that useless Tapatalk programme.
PeterD

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:20 pm

rusty69911 wrote:
Something has happened where he hosts the images as I don't get them either but I used to.

Maybe they have caught the Photobucket disease.

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Engel wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:20 pm
rusty69911 wrote:
Something has happened where he hosts the images as I don't get them either but I used to.
I see it all now. He has bee using Image Upload instead of using the forums preferred method of hosting photos. If you go to that site you will see:
We have stopped all new registrations, exisiting users will not be able to access their images any longer. We are now only accepting dedicated premium membership on our sister site for $20 a year! Prices will soon increase to $50 so hurry and sign up now! With the new paid service you will be able to upload more from your mobile phones, PC's and laptops in bulk! You will have plenty of space to play with just like you did here on Image Upload!
This happens frequently when members try to be smart and use external hosting services rather than learn to use the forums methods. He will either have to fork out $20 or go back and insert his photos into the forum properly.
PeterD

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:56 pm

PeterD wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:55 pm
Engel wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:20 pm
rusty69911 wrote:
I see it all now. He has been using Image Upload instead of using the forums preferred method of hosting photos. If you go to that site you will see:
We have stopped all new registrations, existing users will not be able to access their images any longer. We are now only accepting dedicated premium membership on our sister site for $20 a year! Prices will soon increase to $50 so hurry and sign up now! With the new paid service you will be able to upload more from your mobile phones, PCs and laptops in bulk! You will have plenty of space to play with just like you did here on Image Upload!
This happens frequently when members try to be smart and use external hosting services rather than learn to use the forums methods. He will either have to fork out $20 or go back and insert his photos into the forum properly.
PeterD

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

howdy people sorry for not responding sooner or keeping the thread up to date....been having problems on a lot of fronts as of late.....

sorry about the pics dissapearing but as has been noted i was using image upload for a period of time as photobucket did the dirty on me...so when i switched over
i did not think that the same would happen again....but....it did.

so i have moved onto another site and funny enough...i can't remember what it is called....which is normal for me.
i did try to do the pic thing from this site..but...couldn't work it out no matter how much i tried....i am a simple person...gotta remember that.

however after all that the van came to somewhat of a stop due to being let down by outside help and then a dummy spit from me as i sulked in the corner,but ithe good news
is that i have come to my senses and am back working on the van....and....it has progressed a bit of late.....the internal sheeting is mostly done bar the last 3 sheets in the shower
and half the plumbing is done.....i know this all means nothing without pictures but very shortly i will have some to post (hopefully) just gotta sort out the picture hoster again

i thank you all for maintaining an interest (surprised) in my little build and as stated i will prevail and the york in york will continue to fruition...to stubborn to give in (or stupid)
hope everybody has a really great new year :D
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:30 pm

jailbar joe wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm
i did try to do the pic thing from this site..but...couldn't work it out no matter how much i tried....i am a simple person...gotta remember that.
JJ,

Did you check out this pic help?.....
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=20542
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:29 pm

thanks for that OT......can't remember how i got stuck last time ...i think it was resizing the pic's ??? but i will give it another go as i get time and hopefully it will stop
the pics from dissapearing again in the future

malcolm fraser got it right when he said.....life is not meant to be easy....////
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 pm

QUOTE: "can't remember how I got stuck last time ...I think it was resizing the pic's ??? "

Joe I am a total dunce with computers and got fed up with the free photo resizing programs. So here's the computer dunce's way to resize photos.
Email them to yourself with Microsoft Outlook but, before you hit SEND, click on FILE and tell it to resize the images. A minute later they are in your inbox resized.

Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:45 pm

hi keith sorry for lat response i have been away...

since my last post i have looked and looked at...viewtopic.php?f=91&t=20542 as O/T suggested but unfortunately to a not so pc literate operator it was as
useful as a brain surgery manual....it explains nothing...

i do have a plan and that is to catch up with my it guru and pay him to come and show me and explain to me how to do all this mumbo jumbo
with some luck it will be at the tail end of this week or next week....and THEN...just maybe and i can get back on top of things....we live in hope.

in the mean time i am still plugging away with the millions of little things that need doing....slowly slowly gets the worm,
oh yeah 46/47 deg outside temp and in the tin shed about plus 10 deg on that doesn't help

stay tuned
cheers
joe

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi Joe,
Keep at it mate, you know it will be worth it in the end.
Let me know it I can assist with pic res-sizing as it would be great to see something of your progress.

Cheers - Allan

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:49 pm

jailbar joe wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:45 pm
since my last post i have looked and looked at...viewtopic.php?f=91&t=20542 as O/T suggested but unfortunately to a not so pc literate operator it was as
useful as a brain surgery manual....it explains nothing...

i do have a plan and that is to catch up with my it guru and pay him to come and show me and explain to me how to do all this mumbo jumbo
with some luck it will be at the tail end of this week or next week....and THEN...just maybe and i can get back on top of things....we live in hope.
Before you lash out with heaps of your hard earned can we have some more attempts at getting your pictures into the forum. Where are you having the problems?

1.. Is there a problem getting the pictures resized and saved on your computer?

2.. Once you have suitable size photos stored where you can access them, are you having problems working your way through nimdA's instructions? If it is the latter I can break that down into simpler steps.

Looking at 1.. first, If you are having problems with a suitable resizer then try the programme that most of our computer club used to use. Go to IrfanView Graphic Viewer. Download the appropriate programme for your computer. If you are not sure if you have a 64 BIT machine then download the 32 Bit programme, it will work on a 64 Bit machine, just not quite fast as the other. Download the appropriate "Plugins," These are not necessary for the common graphice file types but if you have some of the other unusual ones then Irfanview will then handle them.

Locate where you have saved the files. Double click on the iview...setup.exe file to install the programme. Check that it runs OK and then close it down. Then double click on the "plugins" file to add it to your main programme.

Once you have a copy of your picture where you can access it open (run or launch) IrfanView. Click on the File Open sumbol (or select File > Opem.) A file explorer will then open so you can find your picture and open it. Once it is open in IrfanView you can manipulate it. Click on "Image" and then "Resize/Resample." This will bring up selection box. In the section labelled "Set new size" type 800 into the width box if the photo is landscape or 600 if it is portrait shape. Then click on "File" > "Save as..."

Before you click on "Save," rename your picture so you do not loose the original by accidentally overwrite it and also to highlight that this is the one you wish to publish. Then check that the picture will be saved as a .JPG type file. Once you have the correct size and type of file I will spend more time and simplify the steps to insert it into the forum if you wish. Just let me know if you wish me to proceed. Also if there is something above that you do not understand, let me know.
PeterD

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:06 pm

With regard to 'resizing' a pic,.........

Find the pic you want eg, 'Yorky'
Right click on it
Then in the drop down box you'll see 'Resize Pictures'
Click that and select 'Mediun - fits 1366x768 screen size'
It will then create a new pic 'Yorky' suffixed with (Medium)

Use that Yorky (medium) pic to upload.

This generally works well for me in most places.
Lance & Anne

SLWB HiAce Campervan

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:09 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Snip , ,
The 1366x768 still breaches the forum limit and probably will not be posted to the forum.
PeterD

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:20 pm

I used that setting to post this.
It appears as a link but opens OK.
WW Open End (Medium).JPG
Lance & Anne

SLWB HiAce Campervan

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm

No picture appeared in the thread Lance. I based my reply on what was said in - http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 91&t=20542
PeterD

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:31 am

This one was done at (small 854 x 480) using the same method I described earlier.
WW Open End (Small).JPG
Lance & Anne

SLWB HiAce Campervan

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:05 am

The link I posted(and was posted previously in the thread) says that the maximum size for photos in the forum are 900 pixels vertical or horizontal. Looks like you just proved it Lance. Your smaller size photos appeared and not the link as was in your previous reply.
PeterD

nsgnomad
An old hand

Post by nsgnomad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:29 am

PeterD wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:05 am
The link I posted(and was posted previously in the thread) says that the maximum size for photos in the forum are 900 pixels vertical or horizontal. Looks like you just proved it Lance. Your smaller size photos appeared and not the link as was in your previous reply.
That is odd because in another thread I tried to use photos and I had to go down to 640 x 480 before they were accepted.
Roger

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:03 pm

As well as the 900x900 pixel max there is also a limit on how many K’s big the fill is which is 512 kilobytes and also the type of file, I always us jpeg.

JR

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Lance wrote:

Lance,

Are you one of those blokes who never read the user manual or help info?
:o ;-)
Regards, Old Techo

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Old Techo wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 pm
Lance wrote:

Lance,

Are you one of those blokes who never read the user manual or help info?
:o ;-)

:confused: :rolleyes: ......ahhh......wot woz da kweschyun...................
Lance & Anne

SLWB HiAce Campervan

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:52 pm

wow ...thanks for all the responses guys....i do appreciate it.
there is enough info in that lot that has gotten to the blurry stage...peterD thanks for taking the time to put up all that info....i did download an infran site
and i think that is part of my problem.... going from one stage to another for whatever reason i seem to get lost.....and then frustrated

i think if i stay with my original plan of getting my guru to come and explain the procedure will be my best outcome as i think i have other
issues on my pc to resolve as well....could even be part of the problem ????? as previously stated i am a simple bloke and the pc is not
exactly my favourite tool of choice.....but i get by....or used to.

at this point tuesday looks to be my day of reckoning and with some luck i will be back on air again and hope to put up as many of the deleted pics as i can without
boring to many people....i thank everybody for there patience and help
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:44 pm

peterD i just had another go doing what you posted and the main problem seems to be me....surprise... after following the main steps
and i send the pics...somewhere...i am blowed if i can find them anywhere....

tried your way lance and my pc must be configured differently as the drop boxes don't correspond with what yours does...

yep guru time and thankfully he doesn't charge much
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:39 pm

okay testing time...see what happens??
cheers
joe

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:14 pm

Hi Joe, looks like you are getting somewhere. However it looks like you may have overdone the shrinking. From what I see, you shrunk it to 105px × 79px. When resizing pictures shrink them to the point where the largest of the two sizes is in the range of 800 - 900 px (pixels.)
PeterD

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:30 pm

thanks peterD that is what i was aiming at......but it is a start.....can only improve
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:10 pm

starting to get frustrating again....
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:16 pm

hoping this keeps working
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:20 pm

well it looks like i have the pics sorted out (sort of) will try and work out the text side of things to match the pictures now :roll:

question......do you need to have text for the picture to show ?????
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:01 pm

just a little bit more before i forget what i have done
cheers
joe

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 pm

Looks like you are on top of things now. Happy posting.
PeterD

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:56 pm

thanks peterD...i wouldn'say on top of it just yet.....can only get better :D
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:20 pm

just a few more catch up pics
44.jpg
37.jpg
35.jpg
32.jpg
31.jpg
30.jpg
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 pm

more of the lost pics...seems like covering old ground
46.jpg
47.jpg
49.jpg
50.jpg
52.jpg
58.jpg
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:35 pm

hi people can anyone tell me,when using 12 volt power...do any of the 12volt power points have to be double pole
my own assumption is no...but have not been able to get a reliable answer from anybody..

also i plan on running 240v in to power a 12v charger and then 12v battery...can i run a power wire from battery on one side of the van across
to the other side and then into a buzz bar to power all the 12v stuff ??

any help appreciated
cheers
joe

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:05 pm

G'day JJ,

It has never been explained to me nor have I ever asked but the obvious reason for double pole mains switches is you cannot be sure that the active pin is active. If you use a dud power cable with active and neutral swapped or an incorrectly wired source then your van active and neutral will be swapped and a single pole switch only controlling the neutral wire.

No such safety logic applies to DC so a single pole switch in the positive line should suffice.

You can run DC as far as you like as long as there is a fuse at the source and heavy enough cabling. And you mean a busbar ;-)
Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:44 am

thanks for that OT i vaguely understand the priciple of double pole....and have no intention of compromising safety
that is why i have tried to verify that aspect.

other than the 240v powering the battery charger and 1 double pwer point...evrything else is/will be 12v and there won't be anymore
than is needed...no fancy stuff...but there will be sufficient fuses to cover everything

thanks for your expertise.....and your right...i meant busbar :lol:
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 pm

every time you think you are winning...something changes :roll:
147.jpg
148.jpg
149.jpg
got it back again
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:57 pm

i seem to have lost my way and have been having trouble posting again...but have found my problem :roll:
150.jpg
151.jpg
153.jpg
154.jpg
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 pm

i must learn to read my own instructions....this is the last lot of the old missing pic's
155.jpg
156.jpg
157.jpg
all pics after this will be the new stuff from after the pics dissapeared......but wont be tonight :lol:
cheers
joe

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 am

Keep up the good work Joe and keep them pics coming. Love sitting back and watching someone else do all the work.

I used the Clipsal 2000 series 240v AC light switches for my DC stuff. Mainly because it would all look matching inside the van and you can buy these just about anywhere in Aust. Nothing worse than having a switch mounted in a spot and it fails then if you cannot source the same one the substitute has a different hole size, square or round etc. The clipsal face plates are cheap and you can buy the switch mech's bulk in boxes of 10.

Cheers - Allan

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:33 pm

thanks for the good words allan.....you just sit back and enjoy the ride...after your build,you deserve it...you have earned your stripes :D
all my interior lights are self igniters...built in switch save running a lot of wires

been a bit busy to do photo stuff so next couple of days will be back on to it
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:34 pm

finall able to bring this thread up to date...
158.jpg
the thetford toilet is fitted up but not bolted down as yet...the plumbing from underneath is nearly done and just sorting out the wiring
159.jpg
on the drivers side we have the 12v hot water unit
160.jpg
this is the view of the shower from outside on the drivers side....and associated plumbing
161.jpg
the hotwater service and pump instalation on the inside under the sink/stove
162.jpg
the bathroom with toilet in it's spot...again ..yet to be finished
163.jpg
the shower in all it's glory...i had no choice but to do the plumbing this way and the woodwork frame you see is half height of the shower
with the top half stepped out 50mm to give me room for the plumbing and unfortunately the shower head will face you as you enter the shower....
not the ideal but had no choice...will have to learn to live with it i guess
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:46 pm

165.jpg
from the kitchen area looking into the bathroom....
166.jpg
as you enter the van between the entrance and the bathroom i used this space for a cupboard/wardrobe....should be able to hang my shorts in there :lol:
167.jpg
the kitchen sink /cupboards are in place but the cupboard underneath is only temp till all the plumbing is sorted
168.jpg
above the sink is the range hood with built in light
169.jpg
the over head cupboards along the drivers side wall....all the cupboards at this point have no doors till i work out what i am doing
170.jpg
overheads along passenger side of van
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:04 pm

172.jpg
foot lockers...this will be the support for the fold down bed once the cushions are in place (made) i thought having fold down doors for the front
of the seats was a cool idea.....but....my present thought is to blank the front of them off with a decorative panel and i will now hinge the top
of the seat and access them from above
173.jpg
the leading locker/seat on the passenger side will house my 12v battery and charger....
i have come to realise that because i will not be using this van for extended travels (at this point) i have more than sufficient storage space
174.jpg
now this panel has been a contant source of concern for a quite some time,....it is the bottom of the bed frame......i had no idea how it was going
to work out,so i have been dreading it.....but yesterday i spent a bit of time on it and i am glad to say it is going to work out alot easier
than i thought....i won't go into detail till after it is done....just in case......
175.jpg
175.jpg
the passenger side of the van as you can see i have roughly run wires to get a bit of a feel for where they are going to go...
and that pretty well sums up where i am up to as of today.....jst hope all the pics don't disappear again :roll:
thanks for looking in
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:10 pm

not sure what happened there but seem to have left one out...just hope it still makes sense...
164.jpg
this is the internal look of the shower
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 pm

hello all i am back with a meagre offering of pics.....
below is how i seal the corners ...because i gave up on the plastic strips..i find this method a lot easier and neater
176.jpg
a lot of tapping off and then just caulk it with a white silicon...can't remember the name off hand
177.jpg
as you can see it leaves a very nice smooth finish
178.jpg
179.jpg
180.jpg
i am more than happy with that method and have nearly finished the van....just need some waterproof ply for the bathroom area and i am done
that was the good news
now for the bad news (for me) a bit over a week ago i fell off the back of a truck...my mates campervan that i was helping him with and
unfortunately landed right on my shoulder with all my weight...bugger...after a week and a half of doctors and hospitals it looks like i will
be off for up to 6 months

at this point i have very limited use of my left arm and am in constant pain...so not much will be happening on the van (or my mates campervan) for
quite some time...to say i am bored already is an understatement....so for anybody that is interested the thread has not been abandoned....
will add something ????? when i can
thanks for following along
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:57 pm

Sorry to hear that Joe. Sounds awful. Are you getting any physio for the shoulder? Anti-inflammatories and ice packs?
Can you tell that I'm married to a physio?
Hope it improves soon.
What tool did you use to get the silicone (or whatever it was) looking so nice?
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:41 pm

hi keith

thanks for your concern i have tried/doing all you suggested but i am not married to a physio....but i listen to all the opinions my wife has.....does that count,
just got to cool my heels for a bit :roll:

the magic tool i used for the silicone was my finger....no big secret to getting it looking good......
just tape both sides of the joint and a small bead of silicone/whatever then after dipping my finger in a container of water with heaps of dishwashing,
liquid.....i just run my finger along the bead and wash the excess off my finger and peel the tape off.

this leaves a small shoulder on the silicone....then dip finger on soapy solution and run finger along the bead again....just once....this flattens out the shoulder on the bead,
now just leave it alone...do not over play with it and thats it....pretty easy.

the container of water with plenty of dishwashing liquid is probably the secret to it.....AND....not over working it
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks Joe. I have been spraying dilute soapy water on it and getting a real mess.

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Hey Joe,
Sorry to hear about your fall and wish you a very speedy recovery. I had a similar hold up when I was doing my build and it pissed me off no end not being able to do what I wanted to do so I know all about injury frustrations.

With the shower problem of it facing you as you go in, how about you use a flexible shower hose attachment and put a second shower rose holder on the other side. I did this and it works fine, in fact the shower rose is always on/in the second holder now. When on the road the shower hose and rose are unscrewed and it’s all put in a dirty clothes bag and stored on shower base so it does not scratch or leave rub marks on the shower gel coat. Its a pain to set it up again each night but beats rub marks.

Great work with the silicon too. I am just too damn fussy with finishing off silicon and end up stuffing it right up by playing around too much so good words of advice here to others.

That range hood fan is excellent, might swap my old fashioned one out (as it’s a bit noisy) and fit one of those. Looks much neater and more stream-line.

You are nearly there mate and its looking bloody good so keep at it when you can, but don’t push it and do yourself another injury.

Cheers - Allan

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:58 pm

keith i hope this method helps you get a good result mate :D

i'm glad my method of of finishing the silicon is a help to somebody...but i must say i copied it from someone else

i know i am not the only one that goes out of his way to injure himself :roll: but as you say allan it's more the frustration of not being able to do anything
that gets to you

your shower system sounds like a good way of doing it....but in my case i am sort of locked into what i have done,the reason being that
i could not work out a way of having a shower door....so it was mentioned to me to not have a door,but to have a very deep shower curtain...almost a
" U" shaped curtain that will extend for the depth of the shower,so effectively catching all the water.....time will prove me right or wrong.

on that note....i did instal a grey water tank...but then got to thinking about smells and such,so i am not in a rush to connect it to the shower.....
rather just have a drop tube with a ball valve on it and when i a c/van park just use a hose to the park waste....is this permissable ?????
this shower in vans is a new thing to me
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 pm

"...but then got to thinking about smells and such,so i am not in a rush to connect it to the shower.."

Joe I got around the shower smell problem by putting a little collection sump under the floor waste and using a manually operated water pump to discharge at the top of the sink S-bend, same as a dishwasher. I just used a flojet pump with a couple of suction filters and some stainless steel wool in the little sump to grab any hair. The sump is just a 4 inch sewer end cap which unscrews at the bottom to get any sand out.

Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:47 pm

that sounds simple enough keith thanks
originally i had thought of something similar and was working towards that when i had my..."what if"....thought....i know i think too much.

after sitting and looking and a beer or 6 i started thinking about my end use for this van and reasoned that if i'm not going to use it for long
distance travelling or extended stays why not keep it simple and not worry about the holding tank...hence my question on c/van park rules

i'm still open minded about it just exploring my options
cheers
joe

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Joe,
Bugger you must have done major damage to your shoulder to be grounded for six months.

You are right about getting a smell from the grey water tank so you will need to do something to stop it. Allan’s suggestion sounds good or as said use a sump pump. I have seen on boating sites a small plastic tank with a sump pump and a float switch. There is also those one way devises used instead of ‘S’ bends.
Hep-vo waterless valve is what they are called.

JR

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 pm

hi JR was a pretty good bump,been over 2 weeks and still painful....but starting to get a bit of movement....i'm pretty sure the doc was
wrong with the 6 months....heres hoping :roll:

seems like the more i delve into this topic the more "variations" i am getting and most of the solutions sound reasonable so far.....
as stated i think the use will be limited so am not overly concerned at the moment....but i will put all the infrastructure in place and if i find
that i was wrong (as usual) then not a problem to hook it all up

i do appreciate all the advice and am taking note......

on another note i am instaling a double power point and it will be stuated above the fridge...so that would be about mid way in the van....
i can't for the life of me think where i would put another one OR if i even need another one ??? considering everything will be
12 volt...except for thaat 1 double pp.....is 1 enough??
thanks for looking in and all help
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Joe, don't forget to use double pole switches. You certainly won;t forget after you've paid for them.
Keith

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Joe, my van is all 12V but still find many uses for 240V power points when on 240V.
Electric jug, electric fry pan, coffee machine, toaster, hair dryer, computer and possibly some other stuff. Some of these things we leave out on the kitchen bench so it’s nice to have a few power points. All these items we run when on 12V via an inverter but you need the power points to plug them in.

I personally would have as many power points as possible and also plenty of 12V sig plugs. You may find out later that it would be good to have another power point but then it’s not that easy to fit once the van is finished.

JR

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:28 pm

G'day JJ,

I agree with JR.

Our van came with 3 single and 4 double GPOs.

Since then I have fitted 4 extra double GPOs plus I have 3 x 4 port permanent power boards.

Despite all of the above there is still one annoying place that I can't add a GPO and have to run a long lead :roll:
Regards, Old Techo

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Yep same goes for houses.

The sparky commented on the number of GPO when he was doing pre-wire.

Said to him that I told the Mrs tha t she can have 10 today for the price on one tomorrow.

You could probably double that for a van.

Regards Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 pm

i know what you mean keith i went intomiddy's elec wholesales and was quoted $120.00 and he said he didn't sell many :o
no bloody wonder....i got them for $38.00 from camec

JR i agree with you...can't have enough thats why i asked the question....just not sure of what i might need at this point ???
i assume by the "12v sig plugs" you mean cigerette lighter plugs....if so ..i hadn't thought of them...till now :D

haha OT i can imagine your frustration and that is what i want to avoid.....my van is only 13 foot so if i get stuck using an
extension lead (which i won't) it will be a short one

i'm with you gerry ....too much now is better than not enough later :D

on that point i can only imagine how hard it would be to add power points to a finished van because of there construction??
and believe me when i close this baby up for the last time,there will be no going back to add stuff

thanks for all the constructive suggestions ...much appreciated
cheers
joe

muzz_on_line
An old hand

Post by muzz_on_line » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Don't forget an external point as well.

Muzz

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 pm

i couldn't forget that one coz i didn't know about it...thanks muzz great idea...will look into it.
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 pm

howdy i went to the caravan and camping show here in Perth last week and looked at some vans that blew my
hat off price wise :o they made my van look like a cardboard box by comparison...i guess the $50,000 or $60,000
difference will look better in my pocket.

i did make a purchase...i bought a rear camera kit that came with a screen and 2 cameras...one for the van and one for the car,
and all the wires and bits and bobs....so...i now have a question........

how is the best way to mount the wiring from front of van to rear.....along the chassis rails to rear then up into the body....or...
internally thru the frame of the van to the rear...i have looked at a few vans but cannot see enough to work it out ???

also where is everybody mounting there radio aerials.....i thought plumbing was a pain in the bum and wiring seems to be going the same way.

thanks for any help
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:29 am

Joe,
I think on principle, the less stuff you've got exposed on the chassis the better if you are travelling on dirt roads. One option for retrofitting cable is to use cable duct. They come in all shapes and sides from rectangular, to small half rounds and even a small scotia shape that will hide cable at the join between the ceiling and wall. You can screw them into place or use double sided tape plus you can reopen them to add more cable later if the need arises. Best to go to a specialist electrical wholesaler.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:12 pm

interesting idea thank keith i would never had thought of that option......
so i guess that is how the pro's upgrade vans
KeithB wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:29 am
to add more cable later if the need arises
that is what i am trying to avoid.....once finished there will be no going back......i will learn to do without :D
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:08 pm

Joe you can even run a small rectangular cable duct around the ceiling, about 20mm off the wall and put an LED strip up on the ceiling in the space between the duct and the wall or on the outer edge of the duct itself facing the wall. That gives a lovely shielded downlight effect, especially of you use a warm white LED strip. I've done a similar thing, without using cable duct and the light is really nice. plus you get to run cables in the duct. Jaycar has a lovely super bright warm white LED strip, but it uses 1 amp per metre. But they have lower current options.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:33 pm

thanks keith i think i have been living in my cave too long....maybe i need to get out more....

there is a good led light place near me (130 k's away) i will have to pop in and have a chat with him :D
cheers
joe

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:04 pm

I have seen a solar set up that made use of the cavity provided by the roof molding like this;

https://styromax.com.au/products/styrotrimrv/
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:36 pm

yep...definitely have to get out more, thanks GerryM ...it would seem that for every c/van problem there are any amount of solutions.

i guess it looks like if i do stuff up and forget something it is not going to be a problem.

i went to the led shop and had a look at that led light strip and am impressed...as keith said....about 1 amp per meter....at least i now know

that if my lighting is not enough it will be an easy fix....

thanks guys
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Joe, I have an 6ft kitchen bench top with 1 metre of 1amp per metre warm white LED strip on the underside of an overhead cupboard about 450mm above the benchtop. The strip is located in a little Jaycar plastic enclosure which cost about fourpence. The light from it is fantastic and throws all over the van. I reckon two well placed one metre lengths of these strips would light your whole van with very little power use. I, like I do everything, have gone overboard and have far more lighting than I need. Luckily I don't have to turn them all on at once. Make sure you go for warm while or your van will look cold and uninviting.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:44 pm

good info keith...i went and had a look at those light strips and must say i was pretty impressed....
i have ordered another 2 of the lights that i have just to match everything up....but before i clad the outside of the van
i will check my lighting out in the darkness of the shed and add some strips strategically if needed...

my kitchen is only short about 1200 but underneath the upper cupboard i have a camec range hood that shines directly
down on the stove... i think i will be well lit up now,but can add more if needed.

slowly starting to do some jobs.....veeeeery slooowly
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 am

does anybody else get caught buying stuff only to find it wont work...or is it just me ?????
simple thing....shower waste/drain....bought a caravan specific one...25 mm right angle ...was about to fit it
only to realise that the thread is not long enough to go thru the ply floor and engage with the bottom part....

i know it is a simple thing but like a lot of stuff i have bought for the van only to find that without heaps of modifications
they just don't work....i looked up the dimensions of the bed mattress and built the bed to suit...when i went and picked up the
mattress it was too big for the base.....hinges advertised to do a specific thing...yep waste of time

i know it is not just the van industry....i have the same problem when building cars.....doesn't anybody care anymore...
i am a simple person,i research what i want to do and buy accordingly only to find it won't work and when i ring
the place of purchase i am told i just need to alter or modify in a certain way and it will fit.....

why do we accept this garbage and put up with this attitude....why don't business' care about there products anymore....i know the answer is
mostly that it is made in china and is cheap...you get what you pay for......but i usually pay the premium price to get the better stuff.....
but that is not what i get

if this is what we HAVE to put up with now....god help us in the future.....thank god i don't have any grand kids
sorry for the whinge......just frustrated
cheers
joe

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:03 am

Joe, re the shower waste.

Not sure about the caravan specific one but the domestic ones are designed to fit the shower base only.

So in a house you usually use a 110mm hole saw through the floor or the carpenter has installed the tray and dropped his power saw through the floor 4 times to cut a square hole.

Yep the care factor has gone in house building as well.

They seem more interested in checking social media on their smart phone than work quality.

My rant.

Regards Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 am

JJ,

I don't think I understand the issue :confused:

Would not a long waste, as in the pic, cut to size do the job?

Then add an elbow and Hepvo trap.... https://hepvo.com/

Regards, Old Techo

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:37 pm

agreed gerry....i don't think it matters what subject....the care factor is well and truly gone :roll:

OT the main issue with the outlet is the fact that i bought one from a caravan parts supplier and in it's
original form as bought would not do the job...in fact it was totally impossible for that unit to fit in any way shape or form....

that was the main part of my rant...
yes i agree with you about the one you have shown.....and that is exactly what i intend to do....buy the various bits and make my own
which is the recurring theme with most things i want/need.

unfortunately our local hardware has a choice of 1 so when i get back from qld in a couple of weeks i will hit bunnings with a vengeance :D
cheers
joe

Gerry M
Cracked the big time

Post by Gerry M » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Joe.

I would recommend clamping the shower base only with the waste fitting.

If you intend to clamp the floor as well you are inviting problems.

Regards Gerry
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:07 pm

thanks for that gerry.....when i got the shower base i wondered how i was going to fit it and over
time i worked out that the drain keeps it in place....so thats what will happen :D
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:15 pm

i am over the dummy spit and have moved on.....over the past week i was looking at the van and realised that where
the roof rolls over at the front....there was nothing to support it
181.jpg
not a very good picture but you should see what i am on about
184.jpg
185.jpg
after looking at the last 2 pics you will see what i mean....now when i get the new roof skin made up
i will have somewhere to secure it and support it

next week i am off to maryborough qld for the hotrod nationals and on my return hope the shoulder is good enough
to get stuck in and wrap this up.....well thats the plan :D
cheers
joe

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:20 pm

A few little blocks and all is good. 8-)
Well done Joe, it's shaping up really well now ;-)
Lance & Anne

SLWB HiAce Campervan

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:25 pm

thanks lance just 1 more little step closer
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:43 am

howdy people i have just got home from a 2 week motoring holiday in qld....i sent one of my cars over to brisbane by carrier and then flew over
and drove to the hotrod nationals in maryborough then drove up as far as 1770 very pretty place,then ambled down to brisbane and car
back on carrier and we flew home...will collect car in a couple of weeks when it gets back to perth.

the only day it did not rain was on our last day in brisbane....boy it really knows how to rain in qld......
the only disappointing part of the trip was the caravans i am sorry to say.....on a number of occasions when following them at 75/80 kmh
in a 100 zone and then get to a passing lane i could not catch the buggers....usual story that everyone knows well.

people familiar with the qld roads must see this often and be hugely frustrated...i know it leaves me scratching my head......i guess it is a problem that
will not change.....sadly i saw an serious accident involving a van,i hope nobody was hurt....looked like the car behind the van tried to drive
thru it,with them all ending up off the road....everybody take care on the roads.

hoping to get my project moving a little faster
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed May 01, 2019 10:14 pm

seeing as i am not far off cladding the outside of the van....i have been checking out vans whenever possible
and one thing in particular has me curious.....

on my van ,being an old one, on the outside wall directly behind the fridge there is a louvred panel, or was rather that
was for ventilation for the fridge and it was about the size of the fridge.....

now on the newer vans i notice a plastic fluted panel about 600x 150 ??? i assume this is for the fridge ventilation.....
does anybody know if this is powered with an internal fan or how it works ??
i have asked a few people and they look at me like i have 3 heads......hmmmm maybe if i did i would be 3 times smarter

thanks for any help
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Wed May 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Joe, I think modern vans have a plastic vent at the bottom to let cool air in and one at the top to let hot air out. Some people are fitting little low amp fans to help out in hot weather. You can see some of them here:

https://karlskoolrv.com/collections/ultra-fans

Alternatively, you can make one up with bits from ebay. If you have plenty of electricity and don't already have a fridge, maybe look at compressor fridge which may not need to be vented outside. This has the advantage of keeping dust out. Plus they work really well and don't mind being a little out of level. They also use less power on 12 volts. But you'll need an onboard charger for caravan park stays as they only run on 12 volts. Here are a few:

https://www.evakool.com/caravan-fridges/platinum/

I have the big 210 litre one, vented internally, that uses about 40 amp hours a day in normal weather.

Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Thu May 02, 2019 9:40 pm

thanks for that keith..i am sort of limited as i have already got the fridge....a vitrifrigo i think it is called from memory
so i guess i will have to explore my options a bit more....pretty soon i am going to talk to a caravan builder
about a new skin for the roof and am hoping he has an easy solution....we wait and see :D

no hurry now as my wife had an op on her rotator cuff 2 days ago so shed time will be limited....but on the
up side now i can plan properly and not rush into it

thanks for your help
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Thu May 02, 2019 9:57 pm

Joe the Vitrifrigo is a 12 volt fridge, so you can vent it inside the van if you follow the installation instructions. You don't need wall vents as there is no burnt gas exhaust. But they use a fair bit of power so you'll have to allow for that.
Good luck with the caravan skin.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Fri May 03, 2019 10:17 pm

thanks for that keith....you have highlighted my problem......i rarely read instructions :roll:
thats probably why i get stuck so often.....going to dig out my instructions and have a good read,
might even solve some other problems.

i assumed that ALL fridges needed to be ventilated....as previously stated all this new technology is new to me....
stll trying to workout my phone...at least i am trying to keep up with the techno stuff....sort off

your help is appreciated
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Fri May 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Joe, your 12 volt compressor fridge (if that's what it is: do check) works just the same as the fridge at home in your kitchen. As long as you have enough of a gap behind and above it, all should be well.
My fridge is is a compressor number and is not vented outside. That removes one more dust source. Do also check the power requirement. You will need a 240 volt charger to run it in caravan parks plus a decent DC-DC arrangement on the road as the thing could draw 40 AH or more a day.

This brand looks to be pretty heavy on power for some models.
https://www.caravanrvcamping.com.au/car ... ison-chart

Good call to go with a compressor fridge though.
Keith

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Sun May 05, 2019 9:58 pm

that is very good to know thanks keith....if i don't have to put a hole in the outside wall,as you say,less dust to
worry about
not much chance to play with van at the moment,looking after the cook after her recent surgery but all info
is noted. while i am house bound i will be reading up on manuals and checkout the points you have noted.

your help is appreciated
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:24 pm

not a lot to report due to the fact i am still playing nurse maid to the cook..

i have been sneaking an odd hour or 2 here and there....got the shower base installed and the waste outlet sorted and a bit more wiring done..

even managed to get my waterproof sheets of marble for the shower and have nearly got them ready for gluing into place...only had one hiccup

and that is because the roofline slopes towards the front ,one of the walls is longer than the rest and absolutely impossible to get that sheet in

in one piece.......still looking for a solution ????

will get some pics happening shortly....unfortunately health/medical comes at the cost of continuity

be back soon
cheers
joe

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 pm

i have just bought a double gas regulator even though i am only using a single gas bottle....i will block off one side and if the need for a second bottle arises
i should then have no problems with the reg...i think

i remember reading somewhere and for the life of me cannot find it again,that the regulator needs to be fitted
higher than the bottle/s......even scouring through everything on the net regarding regulations shows little
more than a mere mention of same....does anybody know if such a regulation exists ???

any help is more than appreciated
cheers
joe

KeithB
Been here for a while

Post by KeithB » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:49 pm

Joe,
Here are the regulations:
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/pdf/Gui ... 0Homes.pdf

You'll need to get a licensed gas fitter to sign off and, whatever you do, don't do what I did. I used the wrong regs and all my glorious looking gas plumbing had to be pulled out and redone by a pro at a cost of about $900 including certification and gas plate.

There's nothing in there about the position of the regulator, but the inspector/gasfitter may baulk at using a double regulator on a single bottle. Do check. The other thing to remember is that all gas pipework needs to be under the van, away from living areas. Each branch must have an isolation valve under the van with no junctions between it and the appliance. You'll also need to plan the layout to avoid stone damage.

Good luck.
Keith

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:35 am

Hi Joe,
the thing with gas work is to get the right fittings as well. Compression fittings come in the refrigeration type and a lighter general type. For caravans the refrigeration type are better.

Many people also have no idea that due to the vans plumbing being low pressure the carcass ought to start off in 1/2 inch copper or a minimum of 3/8 depending on the position of the high use appliances. if the hws is up the far end make that line in 1/2 inch.

I also like to use the green per-lagged hot water copper as it is then already protected. doing the work your self is not the problem. Getting it all checked and certified is the secret to success.

Manufactures tend to make their lines small in general and later on you decide to install a gas heater say, and you are up for a bigger change than anticipated.
As regards the double reg it ought to be ok but the cost of a single one ought to be considered. If getting a double one the whole point is to get the auto change-over one which I personally have . It is made by Marshal in the us and has been no problem for 10 years.
when a bottle is empty it changes to the full bottle and a red flag comes up in the gauge to tell you to change the bottle.
I have never used a double on a single tank system so have no idea if it will be a problem. But I reckon it ought to work ok.

It could be that with prolonged use in a single setup the gauges mechanical s might go astray but I doubt it. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

jailbar joe
Been here for a while

Post by jailbar joe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 pm

hi keith
i am pretty aware of most of the regs regarding gasfitting in the van...it's just that i remembered reading about the regulator
but could not find it...i had intended to mount it higher than the bottle anyway.....i can't see any problem with using a double in place of a single,
but i am not a plumber.....i will be working with a plumber to do the gas hook up and he will do the certification...i hope :D

hi dieseltojo
i will be running a minimum of 3/8 copper line but if need be will go to 1/2 as i am only running the cooker and an instantaneous hotwater heater
with the fridge being 12/24 volt....the plumber i am using is a freind and is happy with me doing the work using his instructions and he will
check it all before certification

i feel that using a double reg with one hole plugged should not be an issue as i have seen vans running like this while
waiting?? for second bottle to be filled ????or for whatever reason...again if told no,then it's not the end of the world.
just for interest sake.... a single regulator was $73.00 and a double was $70 and it had more bits in it ????????????

bottom line...whatever the plumber says needs doing...will be done, not looking to do anything shonky
thanks for your help guys
cheers
joe

Return to “DIY RVs”