My build/rebuild

Justme
On a roll

Re: My build/rebuild

Post by Justme » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Subject: My build/rebuild
lance wrote:On the milk crate thing, if you must stand on a crate, be smart and step on the outside edges, not in the centre.
My 'nurse' daughter has told me of a couple of serious laceration issues with going through a milk crate.
It's not much fun extric(R)ating yourself from a broken milk crate.

The van's looking great :!:
I'm actually an emergency and trauma clinical nurse... I realised the crate wasn't a good idea when I cracked the middle. It was replaced with an esky which worked perfectly.

Justme
On a roll

Post by Justme » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Dropped in to the weigh bridge today and the final verdict is in. It seems I was only marginally off with my calculated weights.

Van total mass fully loaded with water tanks full... no food... no solar panels: 2360kg

Tow ball weight: 190kg

The new Andersen hitch is a dream. I was towING at 100kmhr without any issues at all. No need to go faster than that towing over 2 tonnes anyway. Car is sitting perfectly no loss of steering. Very happy with this setup!

Justme
On a roll

Post by Justme » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:07 am

Solar installed! 450 watts producing the full 20amps input to batteries. I've restricted the system to 20amps to prevent circuitry overload/overheating.

New shelving in the back a lot lighter and enough space to now fit a table for either outside or the inside lounge.

I've purchased paint for the inside and I'm getting the kitchen splashback soon. New custom mattress for the double/queen bed suited to the flip up end for extra seating is done and ready for next camp.

Removed the twin spares from the rear due to concern for weight balance issues so I have a under belly Winch mount for a single spare I've created a bracket for and I'm mounting up this week. Will only carry one spare from now on unless we go on a big trip.

Still need a new fridge. The old one was no good...

Lots more still to go with cushions in the lounge area and shelving etc but it's all coming together.

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:14 pm

ive not been following very long so i enjoyed the posts journey.its beautifull. but it kinda looks heavy..enjoy..rod
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

Justme
On a roll

Post by Justme » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:23 pm

rredbeak wrote:ive not been following very long so i enjoyed the posts journey.its beautifull. but it kinda looks heavy..enjoy..rod
Thanks mate

Slightly heavier than I would like. But with some changes I have it around 2300kg fully loaded. I'm happy with anything under 2.5t

Justme
On a roll

Post by Justme » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:34 am

Spare wheel remounted under the front for better weight balance and lower centre of gravity. Will only carry one spare unless we have a big trip.

I have made up a winding rod that runs to just under the front. Have to be under to load and unload the spare but it works and wasn't hard.

Justme
On a roll

Post by Justme » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Draw bar extension done!!

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Pleased to see an update as it's been quite a while :)

You didn't mention it but I see a drawbar extension. That will certainly help with stability :D

I think I see a 1/4 turn water tap near your tank. There is a risk that stone hits could turn it on and/or damage the thread. If that would be an issue then it needs consideration.

Thanks for the new pics. It is great to be able to follow your work :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:05 pm

That extended draw bar is the best looking extension I have seen not that I have seen many but the way you have done it looks very strong.

Yes as OT said not a good place for a tap.

JR
:razz:

Milton477
Been here for a while

Post by Milton477 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Needs a name now.

Return to “DIY RVs”