Building on a trailer

Giraffe67
I'm new, be nice!

Building on a trailer

Post by Giraffe67 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm

I am wondering if anybody can advise me where I might find laws/standards for building a caravan to be registered in Vic.
I just cannot find anything that answers my query (below).

I'm wondering if it's LEGAL to build a box with door, roof vent and windows (obviously for sleeping in) and carry it around on a trailer (fittings would meet AS's).
I cannot justify a caravan for four weeks holidays a year (I'm a way off retirement), but if it is legal I can justify using a 16ft flat deck car trailer as a chassis and building a box on the back of it.
The box would be removed for 10 months of the year and used as a spare bedroom, leaving the trailer free for what trailers are designed for.

I realise the trailer would be heavy compared to a purpose built chassis but I expect it would also mean I won't have any trouble with VIN and registration.
Is there any reason (other than over construction/weight) I couldn't use an already owned trailer?

Current thoughts are to use products like http://www.diycaravans.com.au .

Thank-you for all input, I don't mind having my 'wondering' stripped to bits, that's why it's here.
Gareth.

rredbeak
Major contributor

Re: Building on a trailer

Post by rredbeak » Fri May 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi Giraffe67,
Welcome to the family and of course this forum..cheers Rod..

i think a box trailer would fail literally in our outback.

Maybe a modified Horse trailer might be more stable.. just a thought.
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Fri May 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Rod,
"Maybe a modified Horse Trailer would be more stable" :lol: :lol: :lol:
glanyard
2014 Isuzu D-Max twin cab ute
2006 5.5 metre Golden Eagle Mini Mi rear entry van

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Fri May 06, 2016 3:08 pm

Glanny,
never saw that LOL....
Living the Dream,See You Out Here Folks..OFF TOPIC IS OK IN ANY OF MY POSTS.MY FaceBook, Robby N Jones
Image Image Image Image

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Fri May 06, 2016 3:10 pm

Gareth,
What weights do you carry on the car trailer?
Could you not make a car trailer starting off with a caravan chassis, that is rugged enough to carry cars?
I think in principle, your idea is great and not only for saving money.
I can't see that there would be too many regulations against you because they legally put big "boxes" on the back of Utes and call them motor homes. Then when they return home they remove the "box" and carry stuff to the tip or use the Ute for work as a tradie.
That is my 2 bobs worth, now it is over to the experts of the forum. Good luck! :D
glanyard

glanyard
Rising star

Post by glanyard » Fri May 06, 2016 3:23 pm

Gareth,
Another thought; it would suit if your access to the "box" was at the rear not the side.
See attached and visualize your ideas here.
glanyard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Giraffe67
I'm new, be nice!

Post by Giraffe67 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:23 pm

rredbeak wrote:Hi Giraffe67,
Welcome to the family and of course this forum..cheers Rod..

i think a box trailer would fail literally in our outback.

Maybe a modified Horse trailer might be more stable.. just a thought.
Thankyou for the welcome rredbeak.

I'm not really thinking of a lot of off road with version 1 of the "box on a trailer".
Just using a cheap (borrowed from the farm) car trailer for testing stage.
In honesty version 1 will probably be plywood inside a 50mm square gal steel "Ladder" rack. With a tarp over it to see how "the chief" feels about the idea.

Version 2.0 would be to get the right trailer, with a longer draw for tool box's, independent suspension and 6 stud hubs to suit the Toyota.

I'm just sussing out if it's even legal at the moment.

Thankyou for the input.

glanyard,
"Maybe a modified Horse Trailer would be more stable" :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Giraffe67
I'm new, be nice!

Post by Giraffe67 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:45 pm

glanyard wrote:Gareth,
What weights do you carry on the car trailer?
Could you not make a car trailer starting off with a caravan chassis, that is rugged enough to carry cars?
I think in principle, your idea is great and not only for saving money.
I can't see that there would be too many regulations against you because they legally put big "boxes" on the back of Utes and call them motor homes. Then when they return home they remove the "box" and carry stuff to the tip or use the Ute for work as a tradie.
That is my 2 bobs worth, now it is over to the experts of the forum. Good luck! :D
glanyard
Trailer is rated at 1990kg GVM, so it's good for a ton+ of "box", that is plenty for the current 'Plan". We just want to put beds and gear in it. I'm feeling lazy and not interested in pitching tents.

Start off with a caravan chassis, yes I could probably go that way, I just didn't think a van chassis would be the stronger of the two, seems I'm back to front on that one.

I feel the same about the regulations, I would be starting with a legal trailer and putting a box on it, almost seems like "why would vicroads care?"

Thankyou for your 2bob :)

re Access. I don't care where it is but the chief might. I'm leaning towards right infront of the tyres. double bed infront of it (yes, inside) and drawers under the bed that pull outside the van, under the awning for the stove (bbq) and sink. I've only just started with free cad to see how it would work.

rredbeak
Major contributor

Post by rredbeak » Fri May 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Giraffe67,
firstly i like your idea. with your above version 1 is the best. built it simple then test it literally over a few days to give dirty clothes etc etc to raise its ugly head. BUT go OVER roads types you are considering.BUT,in the outback there are CONSTANT roadworks n they have Side Roads / detours from 50M up to maybe 10KMS depending where you are. So PLAN on off road dirt eventho its not intended in your plans.

weve got a falcon n we get some really interresting detours directly off the bitumen highways.more suited to offroad freaks lol..

but anyway. TEST it over a few days you'll QUICKLY devise version 2 even before you get home ROFL..

Cheers n good building
rod
Image Image Image Image

Return to “DIY RVs”