MY 5.1 METER TWIN AXLE VAN.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Re: MY 5.1 METER TWIN AXLE VAN.

Post by Saturn 5 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:32 pm

G'day J.R. I'm thinking I may be able to get traders plates or such so that I can pick up the long lengths of cladding using the chassis. Perhaps borrow a plate? I'm keen to drop by the weigh bridge on the way to pick up the cladding too.
I'm not working on it this morning as mentally I'm in a bit of a hole. I've been down before and I just have to start slowly till i get up to speed again. I'll bring out the cut off saw and welder and perhaps do a bit this evening in the cool.
I'll try and post a pic or two this week, tho there is not a lot of progress to see, just all the tanks and a mesh basket approx. 800X800X150 for storage of what I don't know atm.
I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but the joists crossing over the top of the chassis rails allows space for all four water storage tanks and spare wheel to fit between the vans four wheels and not foul the suspension. I'm pleased with that.

J.R., I should tell you, I had been toying with making my own 'van for a couple of years as I wanted accommodation for my bike (inside the van ) so I could then ride around the country side, my passion. I have next to no experience with vans but had some firm ideas of what I wanted. I stumbled across your excellent build and that set things in motion. Thanks J.R. for that kick start. And then later came across Rory's great thread, thanks Rory!
I'll mooch down to the garage and make another start.

Good health safe travel
George W.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm at a crossroads with my project.
Another health issue has me now wondering if I can or should continue with my project, or offer it for sale for someone else to complete. I have developed DVT in my right leg, yet another pain issue on top of the others I already have. I'm really struggling to cope now, it's all so difficult.

George W.

peterm
Cracked the big time

Post by peterm » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:14 pm

G'day George,

Mate, by the tone of your last post, it may be time to down tools, clean up the workshop, step back and talk with your familiy and medical professionals before making any further decisions.

Your health must take priority.

If you have feelings of struggling to cope, then you really need to seek help!

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers,

PeterM.
Tug: 2010 Isuzu NPS 300 4x4 Crew Cab, GVM 6000kg, GCM 9,500kg.
Van: Owner Built, 17' Single Axle Off Road, GTM 2760kg.

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi George,

Sorry to hear not feeling the best, having lost both my wife and brother at the age of 29 (both) I know you but one shot do what makes you feel the happiest mate enjoy every minute you have if the pain will allow get on your bike and ride it cause by the sound of it you love your bike, the chassis will always be there as will the mess in the garage. wishing all the best and take care Robert.

Milton477
Been here for a while

Post by Milton477 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:08 am

Hi George,

I can only wish you the very best in whatever you decide is the best way forward. There is lots of help out there if you decide you need it. I guess sometimes you don't realise that you need help until you get it. Nevertheless, I hope that you can see your way forward to completing what is turning into a very unique van.

Good luck
Rory

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks to all for your kind words. More Dr's tomorrow I'll speak more later but thanks again.
George W.

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Very sorry to hear of your extra challenges George.
I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery bloke.
Its a pity you are so far away otherwise I would come and give you a hand.

Take care of yourself and don't try and push it just to get back onto the build.
Good Luck with the doctors tomorrow.

ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:17 am

Hi George,
Very sorry to hear about your health issues, I remember from your first post you are doing it hard.

I have a friend that was building his own van and was at about the building stage you are at and health problems struck.
He was fortunate enough to get through those problems but we talked about the options whether to continue building and he opted to go out and purchase an almost new second hand van that met his needs.

He now has clocked up many weeks of travel and is doing what he may not have been able to do for a couple more years. We still talk building vans but I am sure he made the right move.

This option may not be for you but there are other options if things get to bad even if it doesn’t include caravaning.

As PeterM said health must be your priority.

Good luck at the doctors today.

JR
:razz:

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 am

The Dr., today, Tues.says I have made some progress but could be months or longer till it completely settles down. Had I not visited him for another two days, the chance of a clot breaking free and reaching the heart would be quite high with not a happy outcome.
I don't want to turn this thread into a medical thread but will say the support show here, really boosted me when I had some very gloomy days and thoughts. Pain will in time, drag your spirits down.
If anyone here feels pain and swelling to the leg, get to your Dr. immediately as your life is in serious danger.

I will hold onto the chassis as it is still enjoyable to build and I'm excited with some styling ideas I'm planning. So for now I'll look for little jobs I can do while sitting, but even that may be a month away. Will see what happens.
Good health and safe travels to all.
George W.

Rolex
Cracked the big time

Post by Rolex » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Hey Goerge I know you are keen to use the toilet you have but have you considered the extra surface area of the water in the bowl could cause some extra splash when travelling on rougher roads ??
I'm not ready to be a adult
The adventure begins where the tar ends.
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home... to ride off alone.
When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:19 am

G'day Rolex; I've been in two minds over the WC, for a long time, which to choose. I've been looking over the Thetford ceramic units via the net and will go back to the idea of using one. They do look good, tho just when I'll make progress I'm not sure. I had another Ambo. trip to hospital on Saturday. I was given the contact details for the Pain Management Clinic here, so will try again for help later today. Saturday was a real crisis for me, without the great Ambo. service and I.V. Morphine I'd have done anything to rid this pain.
I'll continue on with the van, at the moment I'm keeping myself busy planning furnishing colours and finishers and will then mark up a storey rod for the kitchen and bedroom cabinetry. I can do this while sitting with my leg up. At least this is progress, even tho it's only a few minutes each time.

Good health and safe travels
George W.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 pm

I have been feeling much better for the last few days, so I've had a little practical progress, apart from the constant running through the build in my mind. In the previous pictures the suspension can be seen on the upturned chassis, the three shackles (that look like upright posts) have been fully welded on the near side while the other side just sits in position. A few days ago I was admiring the nice looking welds I had done but then realised that the centre shackle was not in line and about 8mm too far to the outside. How did I manage to do that! I had carefully lined all three posts flush with the outside of the heavy gal angle. I then realised that the centre shackle holding the cast iron rocker was some 15 odd mm. narrower than the two outside shackles and so I should have aligned the centre lines and not the outsides of all three shackles.
An elementary mistake and so I had to cut my nice welds to the centre shackle, grind flat all the surfaces and then weld it again in the correct line. Having corrected this mistake, the other side was comparatively simple, tho I more than double checked it all before I cranked up the welder. This simple little job took me some three hours each on two consecutive days and drained me as well. Despite the physical toll on me I enjoy this slow build very much.
I'm really looking forward to the day I finally tow it out for my first camp in it. There is a nice riverside free camp area on the back road to Bathurst and that is my focal point.

Good health safe travels
George W.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:48 pm

During the last few weeks I have concentrated on the small internal work such as setting and cutting out the two internal walls of the shower/toilet. I have also purchased the necessary H + C water tubing and fittings for the shower and sink. I spotted the Smartex tubing and fittings at Bunnings, the type used in housing. Heavy duty tube and quality brass push to fit connecter fittings. I have cut and fitted together various pieces ready to install when the internal fit out begins.
I have also cut and bent to shape 8 of the needed 11 steel straps ( 30X3mm) that will hold the underslung water tanks. The straps are welded one end to the joists, the other end is bolted to allow possible future tank removal. I'll post pics when I find the connection for camera to the computer!!
My DVT leg has slowed me down and it's now concerning me as my last blood test was not as good as it should be and is a bit of a mystery as to why. I must spend hours each day with my leg raised to allow blood flow. Im concerned that it may become ulcerated and that will be the last straw.The annoying thing in having the DVT appear out of the blue is that it came just when my pain issues unexpectedly, suddenly dropped to the point that I almost feel normal for the first time in years. Bloody Murphy never leaves me alone!!

Good health safe travels

George W.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:50 pm

It's been quite a while since I last posted but there has been a little progress on the van. I have finally turned it right side up and have three of the four tanks insitu. I have also fitted the two axles together with brakes and hubs. Not a lot of work for all of this time but I'm plagued with health issues. The leg and abdomen are tolerable at best but now long standing problems with my spine have decided to join in the party! A whole of body nuclear medicine scan shows up inflamed and pain areas in various red/yellow colours and the scan looks like a lit Christmas tree. I'm starting to get fed up with all of this. I am finally booked to see the spinal surgeon on next Wednesday. I hope he can do something to help as I'm sick of it all but I'm still keen to get a roll on with the van. Even with all the delay, this project has helped to keep me sane.(well I think so, maybe not the other half)
The garage is clutted with material in various stages ready to install whenever I can get to it. My next project is to make up the wheel boxes or mudguards. I have made up a metal folding brake for use in making the necessary ninety degree bends. It's a light weight affair but it has made a nice gentle bend on a small test piece about the same curve as a 5cent piece. I'm not sure how it will manage the long folds, it will be suck it and see. Hope it will do the job as there is only four corners to bend. All is now on hold again as I can't lift anything that's weighty.
I'll get some pics up soon as I know they will make sense of all the above text. Why do I find posting pics such a difficult process? Just more practice! I always forget how I did it before so I avoid it! Sorry, I'll try again, now where is the camera? Probably under some ply or in a drawer somewhere.
While all this is (slowly) happening, I'm plagued with possums in the roof and walls. I have now trapped six but there is more yet. They have chewed away a piece of fascia and dislodged the guttering and some of the cut tiles in the roof valley. I now have to rebuild this corner because of the damage and wouldn't you know it, it's in the most difficult part of the roof to get to and so I have to build up a scaffold four point six meters high!!
It never ends. Is anyone else having this much fun!

George W. Good health, safe travels.

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Welcome back George, glad to see you are still working on it and love to see some photos when you get a chance. I know it’s hard and very frustrating when you have health issues but don’t let it get you down. Stay positive and look forward to the project as I am sure it will take your mind of other things while you are nutting out a build problem.

The easiest way to post your photos is to re-size them to 800 x 600 using any image re-sizing software and save them to a known location on your hard drive. Then type up your post and use the “choose file” button at the end of your post to select which one you want from your hard drive then click on “add the file” button in same area. You can generally upload 3 photos at a time before clicking on “submit”. Hope that helps you.

Cheers,
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:38 pm

It's been a very long time since I last visited this site and my last post as my health has been up and down, mostly down. I have finally accepted I'll never be well enough to finish or indeed use the van. My last scans have shown another tumour and surgery is not viable. Time has come to sell all my collected stuff, including the van project.
The van is a rolling chassis needing only one ore perhaps two at most days to finish. I haven't even thought of a price but it will be a bargin for anyone interested.
I was a licences builder all my working life and so have many simple ideas that in my view make the project a more simple and practical method of construction. I have planned it to take along inside the van a small 250cc motorbike or scooter. The van is planned to be a completely normal van both inside and out, loosing no space at all inside, unlike commercial units. The idea I had was to always take along a bike for fun and exploration but that option is not available if the tow vehicle is the usual 5 seater. This van can.
Anyone interested can phone me, evenings are best. This is now an easy project to complete. The rolling chassis is at Winmalee in the Blue Mountains
Cheers
Brian Ward

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:22 pm

My phone # 0247542981
Cheers
Brian

Legendts
An old hand

Post by Legendts » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:16 pm

All the very best to you Brian and sorry life's cards dealt you a rough hand. Keep positive as I'm sure you will.

Take care.
You only have one shot at life so make it an enjoyable one.
Jeff & Me Darlin'
2009 Landcruiser TTD
2003 Evernew caravan

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Thank you for you kind wishes Ledgends. Perhaps I should explain the names of George and Brian, simply the family always called me George which I prefer but I answer to both.

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:39 am

Hi Brian,
I see you are having a battle and some times life just steam rolls us. So sad to not have the opportunity to use the van.
We hope the best for you, and hope you get a good outcome. It all sounds very serious.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Rolex
Cracked the big time

Post by Rolex » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:34 am

I have sad news.

Brian (as I knew him) aka Saturn 5 lost his fight for life on Sunday the 7th of February.

He was one of the worlds true gentlemen and a wealth of information.

His other love was motorcycles and that is how I got to meet and know him, visits to Rolex will be sad for me for a while.

RIP; Wardy I will never forget you.
I'm not ready to be a adult
The adventure begins where the tar ends.
"A man turns his back on the comforts of home... to ride off alone.
When the dust all settles and the story is told, history is made by the side of the road"

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:52 am

RIP Brian,
Sounds like you had a good life and enjoyed your motor bikes. My thoughts are with your family.

JR
:razz:

Return to “DIY RVs”