MY 5.1 METER TWIN AXLE VAN.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Re: MY 5.1 METER TWIN AXLE VAN.

Post by Old Techo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:29 am

Saturn 5 wrote:Perhaps some kind of material that will catch the stones, like the black hanging material on some petrol tankers.
George, you probably mean 'truck brush'. I used it on my stone protection for the Birdsville trip. Here are some pics of the brush. Scroll down a bit...

http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 56#p161056

http://www.candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 89#p161089
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Very cleaver! A lot of pondering and geometry went into that very practical invention. I agree wholly with your comment that you like a prototype but not repetition. Me too!
Thanks for the idea I may pinch at least part of it, ….OK? OH, and were do you buy that truck brush OT ?

Good health safe travel
George W.

Milton477
Been here for a while

Post by Milton477 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Bussy wrote: I had mine balanced on jacks when I was trying to lower it onto the axle and it slid off and pinned me to the wall of the garage. Luckily I was not hurt but it did take me about an hour to free myself. No one else was home at the time and telephone was way out of reach.
Cheers,
ALLAN
To prevent possible injury,I am in the process of re-building my rotisserie out of substantially heavier materials. This weekend I am also going to add an "I" beam with a beam trolley & 2T chain block to my rebuilt shed for lifting safely. Cheap insurance when you consider what can happen.

Rory

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 am

Saturn 5 wrote:OH, and were do you buy that truck brush OT ?
Some info George. The brush comes in varying lengths (meaning the drop) and is mounted in ally extrusion...

http://www.hyway.com.au/index.php?dispa ... y_id=16131

http://www.hyway.com.au/index.php?dispa ... page_id=23

I used 1 metre of this drop... http://www.hyway.com.au/index.php?dispa ... ct_id=5900
Regards, Old Techo

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:18 pm

You are a font of knowledge OT, many thanks.

George W.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:25 pm

George, it looks easy now but it was hard work identifying then tracking down this stuff.

Google is our friend but I didn't even know what to search for. It is hard to ask for help if you can't name or properly describe the product :mrgreen:
Regards, Old Techo

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Ha, your right again. Yes Google is (almost) everybody's friend but there are times when if you ask Google ' whats that black hairy stuff around some trucks wheel arches?) you can't expect a perfect response. Time to ask the brains trust!

George W.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:33 pm

It's now 2014, wishing all a safe healthy and prosperous year ahead.
Christmas was a quiet family affair with both my son and daughter being home, my son brought his lovely girlfriend home for Christmas lunch. New years eve is also my wife's birthday which we celebrated with a wonderful meal at the new restaurant in Sringwood.
The van sits looking at me each day and I have only little to report. I have now welded the last two intermediate joists into place that will be under the front queen bed. In total, I have four intermediate joists which are 50mm deep ' top hat' sections in high tensile steel, a bit of a trick to weld to mild steel. With practice i found mid settings on the MIG and almost burning thru the thin top hat then burning into the mild steel as normal.
If in the very unlikely event of me building a second 'van, I would probably use the high tensile top hat sections for most joists as I have a strong back support running down the centre of the van. They are very rigid when supported at 850mm centres and best of all, strong and a fraction the weight of mlld steel.
Other than that I have spent a few hours in Bunnings looking for the fittings I need for connecting up all five tanks. I would still consider using a regular low flush household WC pan but I have some problems to solve first. I have not as yet seen a ceramic bowl 'van WC, only images on the net. At around a $650 wounding they had better have gold in the fittings. Still I'll give them a good look over. The issue of what WC I'll use is the biggest obstacle to date.
I have to purchase two more tanks, corner steadies and possibly some pull down steps. While the chassis is inverted I'll design some kind of drop down storage. Having the joists running across the top of the main chassis rails has many benefits, storage space tucked up high being only one.
I hope to have the van chassis on it's wheels by the end of January. This will give me a floor as a big full size work bench. Bending low is giving my back curry and more. Let's see what developes but I'm not taking bets.
Good health safe travels
George W.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Here's hoping, tomorrow I'll finally start again with the chassis works. Yesterday was a good day at long last, and I was able to shop for a host of items, extra tanks, shower base various bits and pieces including the chain wind up mechanism to secure the spare high up underneath. That item is causing me a lot of puzzling in how to fix it and accessing the mechanism. I must be getting slow in the brain department as I know an alternative would have in the past presented itself with little delay. Not today! In the end I'll need to secure the wheel some 50 mm down from the floor underside pulling it up to two 50 X50 pieces running at right angles to the joists. I'll also need a longer crank handle on the outside as I won't have room to rotate it from underneath. Simple solution but took most of today to come up with. Mind you after shopping for three hours yesterday which I thoroughly enjoyed, I woke feeling as tho I'd been hit by a truck. Another Morphine day so that never helps.
I'm not really thrilled at the thought of starting again tomorrow in fact.This is the first day I have not been all that keen to start the days work as it has been a great pleasure to be building things again, until today. Hope I "warm up" to it as I do want to finish it one day.
I have finally decided to use a house hold toilet suite. It will drain first into a 59 litre black water tank and then into a cassette. With the use of a couple of valves I can drain either or both as I might want. I can still revert to using a van WC if needs be.

Over the last few weeks I have made progress on the final shape of the van's side profile. I haven't drawn it up as I don't need to. The picture is in my head and the final couple of millimeters in shape will be done full size when building the walls. I have also now gotten the colour pallets on finishers near finalised. The inside and out will have a decidedly "Beach" theme and I'm super pleased with how this is all coming along.
All that needs to be done now is build it but for the first time I feel quite ' flat'.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

Good health safe travel
George W.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:50 am

Hi George,
Yes time to get back into it.

I should not say this but once the chassis is complete wheels on and so on it becomes an ideal flat bed to transport fragile aluminium cladding. I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.

Better forget what I have just said.

JR
:razz:

Return to “DIY RVs”