MY 5.1 METER TWIN AXLE VAN.

glanyard
Rising star

Re: MY 5.1 METER TWIN AXLE VAN.

Post by glanyard » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Milton477 wrote:I use this http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ for Win 7. Works the same way as the XP version in that you right click on the image & the option to re-size appears on the menu.
Thanks Milton!
This is the sort of thing we need to know.
glanyard

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks for the replies fellers, I'll try again with some help from my son.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Not exactly how I planned the post but at least a few pics up to view. Next time hopefully will be as I wanted and in proper order and some detail shots as they happen. I haven't really set a completion date as I never know when my get up and go, has gone. There was a time I could have easily ……… well that was then and this is now. I think I will pencil in a date about April/late May. I'm a little concerned I might run out of puff before it's done. An unfinished project is the last thing I want. The concrete blocks, under and scattered are for a retaining wall ( I'm standing on the earthen bank from which I took the high pics ) which I should have built before the van. I reasoned that the blocks would be handy to raise the chassis up onto when ready to turn it over, so the van started first. No need to tell you how that went down with my original good wife. YKHIG's !!
I didn't get to ride to my mates property at Ilford, just didn't have the energy, so moped around the house. All I have done in the last several days was to grind off the mill scale from one axle and give it a few coats if zinc rich primer. Seen sitting on the outside of the chassis with plastic bags over the bearing ends.
Tomorrow I hope to finish welding the 150X50 cross beam/strongback and add the couple of joists I left out as before mentioned. Sitting and thinking ahead, I might add a 50X50 laminate piece between the chassis rail and 100X100 angle iron lintel. ( not strictly a lintel but will do ) This will raise the van another 50mm but the main reason is so that I can position the water tanks immediately under the axles. This is also part of the benefit of running the joists across the top of the chassis rails. I have an extra 75/100 odd mm spare room underneath. Running the joists across the top and not in between is much much quicker and also means that no wiring or plumbing will need to run under the chassis. The detail I have for the roof/wall junction will mean all wiring for the van will drop down from the roof and no studs or top plate will need to be routed out, which gives me the shudders to see on the factory builds.
See what tomorrow brings.

Good health safe travel

George W.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:31 pm

AN APOLOGY: Reading back on this thread; in my second post I wrote words to the effect that my build will be much better than what I have seen on this forum. I was meaning to refer to posts with pics from forum members that showed extensive water damage in factory built vans which as I said was disgraceful. And THEY are a disgrace. This was in no way a reflection on the DIYs here, the quality of which I will struggle to equal let alone better. My post was poorly written and gave a very wrong appearance as to what I meant to say. I apologise to any members that felt offended by that post.
I do wish the edit function here remained permanent as on other forums as I would like to correct or scrub that inference.

I don't expect a lot of progress this week as its forecast to be hot and I don't function too well in the heat. I think I might pre cut a little more of the bed and settee furniture. Maybe. I won't pre cut any more of the van's walls until I have the van floor down and can use it as a work bench. Working from the garage floor is a killer so I won't be doing any more of that.
Good health safe travels

George W.

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:25 pm

No apology necessary George. We knews-what-you-meant!
Good to see some picture of your work and looking damn fine if you ask me. I am a bit worried by the bike carrier cross members on your drawbar though (or is it a short draw bar?). Do they give you enough clearance to do a tight reversal without them hitting you tow vehicle? Also you must wear shorts as that coat hanger does not leave much room for long pants to hang down (above microwave).
Yes I agree, working at ground level is a killer, so get it up to waist height ASAP so you and not getting down to it all the time. Then chuck some chipboard sheets on it to sit your tools on so you don’t have to bend down and pick one up every time you need to but you did not need me to say that anyway. Just have it up but be very careful working under or around it if it is not stable or on uneven driveway. I had mine balanced on jacks when I was trying to lower it onto the axle and it slid off and pinned me to the wall of the garage. Luckily I was not hurt but it did take me about an hour to free myself. No one else was home at the time and telephone was way out of reach.
Cheers,
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 pm

G'day Bussy, not much progress this week as I have had a few tough days but I managed today to weld up that cross beam shown sitting there in the first pic together with a few other welds needing to be done. Yes the draw bar is short, I have restrictions to parking space at home. I laboured on that point and drew it full scale on the driveway slab. It works ….just! You have a good eye. But to clarify, the bike will ride inside the van, in the kitchen! Not the norm I know but the bike is the reason I'm building the van in the first instance. There will be a second door on the rear wall to enter the bike. The section of the kitchen bench top on the rear wall will have a bar flap to open and the cupboard below will be on castors and will roll up and be held at the foot of the bed when the bike is travelling on board. The kitchen cupboard on the rear wall reverts to normal when the bike is outside or at home.
The coat hangers should be dotted as they will be double hanging in the full height robe behind the fridge. Bear in mind that these sketches and drawings are only just for a prompt to me as I never had planned that I would one day post them for all to see. I have no difficulty seeing the finished van in my minds eye thanks to my whole working life in the building and construction industry.
Yes Bussy, I sure will enjoy the day when the van floor becomes my "work bench"
With luck I'll have it right side up with suspension and tanks etc fitted sometime in January. I'm still looking for that bucket of energy!
Good health safe travel

George W.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi George,
You are certainly getting on with it.

From your drawing I can see how you intend doing the rear wall with the wings.
I am wondering what is the idea of having the rear roof line over hanging, does it have any advantage slopping like that or just a different look.

On the drawbar, I went for a reasonably short bar but later on found when fitting a stone guard on the bar it would hit the rear of the Landcruiser when doing a full 180 degree turn using full lock.

JR
:razz:

Milton477
Been here for a while

Post by Milton477 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm

J.REEVES wrote:Hi George,

On the drawbar, I went for a reasonably short bar but later on found when fitting a stone guard on the bar it would hit the rear of the Landcruiser when doing a full 180 degree turn using full lock.

JR
:razz:
Now that is useful information! I have been trying to figure out how long to make my draw bar & had not considered a stone guard.

Keep up the good work George.
Rory

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:52 pm

I would have preferred a longer A frame for a similar reason to JR. I have bikes mounted on the A frame and this slightly restricts articulation.

Of course I want a shorter A frame when I board the Tassie Ferry and pay by the metre. Ideally I need an adjustable length like my homemade box trailer :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:10 pm

G'day JR and Rory.
The overhang is for two reasons. First, I wanted to not have it looking like a box on wheels. I have seen the Mercedes transporter type of van ( Hyundai too I think ) which on side elevation looks great and so will try for this look tho there are certain restrictions. The second reason is that I want a rear roll out shade that hopefully will tuck in out of sight within that overhang. It all adds up to extra work but I have always designed houses etc, when I was building, that are not the norm.
I'm very frustrated with the building of this van because I can't just " get at it " as I would like. Just two hours of "work" flattens me so as a result I spend many extra hours in setting up the MIG and other tools, then putting them away again. However the project is very cathartic for me and I spend every waking hour walking in and around the finished van, in my minds eye. As an example of thinking, I now will make provision for a washing machine on the rear RHS corner. I may not use it but one day somebody else may. I have decided to have the van with a "theme" either ' outback ' or 'beach' I have some paint schemes in mind so as to look the part. If it does not look just right when painted, I'lll paint it again, maybe a safe silver/grey.

I did think of a stone guard J.R. and have decided that if or when I need one I'll just make one that follows the lines of the draw bar rather than one straight across the front. A possible problem with this V shape tho, is that it may bounce stones and rocks out and into the path of other traffic. What would you or others suggest? Perhaps some kind of material that will catch the stones, like the black hanging material on some petrol tankers. (Aren't they quiet on the highway? )
The plan and sketches I posted are a little rough for others to see but they give me what I need. I'm a little embarrassed by my sketch when I see the very smart CAD sketches and plans posted here on this forum. Oh well! :oops:

To day I added the missing joists, all welded in now. My next job is to ft the water tanks. I'll make provision for four, tho I will never need that much but provision never hurts. A few more support brackets need to be added, making it a solid and comparatively light chassis.I also have to add folding steps, corner legs and metal mudguards. All up the rolling chassis, minus the plywood flooring will weigh in at about 640 kgs. I think it's plenty strong and the weight is about what I was hoping for. It all locks in very solid and the diagonals are spot on. I was concerned that some of the larger welds might pull some pieces out of line. I have checked it over and have found one bracket a little off square. It will bug me but it's not a problem item.
If forum members have some helpful ideas I'd appreciate if they posted them up here. My total experience with 'vans is towing a little Cub van through the eastern states way back in 1988. A loooong time ago. So what else should I consider and what have I forgotten?

Good health safe travel

George W.

EDIT. Thanks too to OT for your reply.
Oh, forgot to mention how lucky you were not injured Bussy, turning this chassis over raises my heart rate as I don't have the best equipment to do it with.

Return to “DIY RVs”