Here's my 4.1 metres of caravan from scratch

4wd26
Avid poster

Re: Here's my 4.1 metres of caravan from scratch

Post by 4wd26 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:03 pm

I'll take a pic of how G & S have manufactured my chassis for Windsor caravans on IRS and offroad" if that helps?

I specified a 50mm chassis lift when I got the van built- so have additional 50x50 section under the chassis to help with strength and lifting the van higher to allow larger tyre size.
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
[b][i]Blog -> [url=http://sites.google.com/site/australiagettingoutthere/home]Getting Out There[/url][/i][/b]

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:00 pm

4wd26 that would be greatly appreciated, thanks ;-)

Cya Lukey

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:03 pm

G’day Luke,

I have not been in here for a while and must say you doing a great job and you are to be congratulated on having a go. You must have a very patient and understanding wife to undertake such a task where you have. My van was going to be built under the carport right at the front door and I did actually modify the roof of the carport by pitching it up for this purpose but I am so glad I did not as my wife would have killed me by now.
We decided to build a garage just to manufacture the van in and my wife is already over it. Poor thing has been waiting two years or more for me just to hang a picture up inside the house and the maintenance on everything around here has been left to nature.
Keep the wife happy and keep the build going mate it will be worth it in the end I am sure.

Just wanted to say one thing. What I probably would not have done is welded that angle across the main chassis rails where the suspension mounts to it like you have done. Lengthways along the top and bottom would have been the preferred method as across actually does weaken the main rails and this is where it will be flexing.
Agree with JR on the length of the angle too. More would have been much better but I understand yours is going to be a very light van so I guess you have taken this into consideration.
All the best with the build bloke!

Cheers
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Thanks Bussy. My wife is pretty good, that is an understatement. Belinda has been my main motivator in the project telling me " that you can do anything bub" when everyone else said I could not. Mind you she also wants me to hurry up and have it finished not because she is sick of scratching her leg on the wall supports while doing the laundry or having my car parked in the pagola. The main reason is so we can go away on holidays, she has already looked at booking a caravan site on new years :o So I had better pull my finger out. But life is always busy spending it with our kids and so forth so I have to make more time during the week. See how I go. Would love a shed to build it in thats for sure. My wife and I share your pain :)

Now the angle which has given me must sleepless nights and many a phone call. I have checked with the supplier of the ALKO suspenion, triple checked in fact on length and weld location. Iam not welding across the rails roadside only kerb side if that makes sense. I also double checked with a mate of mine who is a coach builder and has his 1st class welding ticket and he also said to weld where I did. This has become very confusing. Its just like welding the centre rails at 90 to the main rails every van I have looked at is welded all the way around. I have even seen them welded across the drawbar to front rail ( a no no) and when leaf springs where fitted the front and rear shackle and eye plats have also been welded all the way round which I thought was only meant to be done length ways not width. So what do I do? I have talked to JR and he said it should be ok?? I grind or cut it off and start from scratch or run with it?? :neutral:

Cya Lukey

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Hey Luke, I don’t mean to give you sleepless nights. God knows I give myself enough of those thinking about the next set of hurdles that need to be overcome. You just get on with it your way and listen to your mate the coach builder as he is way more qualified than I am plus he can eyeball the job first hand. Just trying to help out, not tell you how to do it that’s all. Do not grind it off or start again. Many times I had the urge to change what I was doing and had to keep telling myself “stick to the plan – stick to the plan”. When you do not stick to your plans is where you become unstuck in the future of the build. You have no doubt thought this through long and hard so go for it.
Christmas / New Years will come faster than you think.

Cheers
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

4wd26
Avid poster

Post by 4wd26 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:33 pm

sorry for the late reply
the plate is 8mm thick, chassis is 100x50 with an additional 50x50 box section that the manufacturer supplied when requested.
4wd26 wrote:I'll take a pic of how G & S have manufactured my chassis for Windsor caravans on IRS and offroad" if that helps?

I specified a 50mm chassis lift when I got the van built- so have additional 50x50 section under the chassis to help with strength and lifting the van higher to allow larger tyre size.
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
[b][i]Blog -> [url=http://sites.google.com/site/australiagettingoutthere/home]Getting Out There[/url][/i][/b]

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I know Bussy you did not mean to give me sleepless nights.Being something I have never done before I take it all on board and also does not help when at times I should not second guess myself. I think I may have come up with a solution which should look better in your eyes and J.REEVES .Both of you have been there done/doing that so I do listen.

4wd26 thankyou very much for these photos, I feel at ease with what am doing now to make it better, probably more over kill but at least it will be right. It is good to know a well known chassis maker has done what I have been told by the suppliers and put it into practice. Thanks. Interesting to see that they have welded the axle and bolted it to. I am also surpriesed at the lengths of the welds.Is is galvanised? Surface rust I would say not?? An extra shocky very interesting,I was under the impression that it was not needed due to the rubber inside the tube acts as a shock absorber but by the looks of the mud on the wheels its good to see you use it for what it was brought for.

mathyland12
I'm new, be nice!

Post by mathyland12 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Hey lukey

Congrats on starting the build. I look forward to following your progress.

Can I ask if you considered any other axle/suspension set up other than ALKO? Did you consider Cruisemaster?

Mat

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks Mat,

Its slowly coming together. The reason I choose ALKO IRS was I wanted a suspension setup that was better then live axle but not over kill. After following caravans on the highway and having a boat with leaf/solid axle setup there is a fair amount of movement when you hit bump, unsettles the load and make the trailer sway so I decided to go IRS. After looking on the net and seeing what other caravans fitted at shows and so forth, ALKO looked the easiest to fit up for DIY situation. Simple configuration spring/ shock absorber all in one tube. Then to find it was not that expensive, it was a easy choice. The icing on the cake was that its made in Australia

Mounting the ALKO is a simple weld of 2 angle plates and drill 4 holes( I have turned that into overkill but that is another issue). Other styles have plates for the swing arms, brackets for the shocks and springs. A lot more involved. I have no intention of taking it off road. The others seemed more suited to off road use. Also noted I did price Crusiemaster and it was twice the price of the ALKO. Hope this helps

Cya Lukey

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Here's some more progress photos.

Here's my delamer. This situation has been giving me some sleepless nights and many opinions on how to make it better. As you can see the IRS plate is wider then the welded blue plate.The elongated holes just finish on the end of the IRS angle plate so I came up with this.
75mm X75 mm X5 welded on the inside. The Outside angle stiched inside in 3 places

50mm X 6mm plate
Tacked in place

Now 12mm thick, longer support and braced both sides.Gone from OK to overkill. Thanks everyone for your input and ideas.

Cya Lukey

Return to “DIY RVs”