Here's my 4.1 metres of caravan from scratch

pedro2-5
On a roll

Re: Here's my 4.1 metres of caravan from scratch

Post by pedro2-5 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi Luke , looks like some quality work on your chassis ,If you keep up that standard you will have a great van in the end ,feel free to call for any advice or bounce around some ideas ,I went away in mine for a week ,the longest trip since I finished it and was yery comfortable for the 4 of us .
Cheers pedro

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks Mate, Iam still surprised how well everything is coming together. I took your advice on the wind downs corner steadies instead of drop downs, so Iam sure I'l be bothering you from time to time.
Good to see you are out and about enjoying your van. Can you update your thread, Iam sure the guys and girls on here would love to see the finished product. A very good result. You should be proud.

Cya Lukey

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi again Luke,
I am sure you are going to allow for the extra stress placed on the chassis by the IRS but I will mention it anyway. Have you increased the chassis strength either side of where the IRS is mounted as all the van weight is concentrated on a small area where the IRS is attached.
It’s a bit hard to tell in the photos to see if there is extra reinforcement in that area. Whilst I used another type of suspension it also has a localised support area so I strengthened the chassis 1mtr either side of the load point.

On the corner jacket I wonder why you have not chose to use the drop down type?

JR
:razz:

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Hey JR,

I can see what you mean. My garage is a pigsti at the moment to many other projects on at once. Hope these pictures will help show where I have put renforcement. You have me worried a bit hopefully I am right :o I have been meaning to put these photos up of the IRS mount.Hope these pics explain everything.

As for the corner steadies I was leaning towards drop downs but apart from being double the price I have been told by pedro2-5 and my father inlaw who have had both and would rather the wind down ones as there is more then just the 3 angles forward or rear to lock into. Also this van is going to be low, similar to the 4 inch drop of the old vans ( getting it down the side of the house ) and the drop downs Iam concerned would be too long and would not be able to lock into a hole. Wind downs I can pick any angle and not have concerns. Agreed slower but I should be able to live with it.Quicker then putting up a tent :)

This is how ALKO wanted it done,but all the stress is on the welds not the chassis rails.
So I did this instead and was told by couple mate its a great idea.
The chassis is upside down.A and B are 50 x50 1.6mm welded to the 75 x 50 3mm
3mm to 6mm welds

Cya Lukey.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 am

Hi again Luke,
I under strand about the corner jacks the drop down do need a bit of room so if your van is low then your choice is probably a better option.

OK the IRS mounting points: remember the following is only my opinion on the mounting of the IRS.
I assume you are using 75x50x3 RHS for the two main chassis rails, only going off the photos. Understandably the van will be very light weight but I would consider using a little more strengthening around the IRS mounting points.

With a leaf spring suspension the chassis is support about 800mm apart at each end of the spring but with the IRS the chassis is supported about 200mm apart which is not much almost like on a knife edge so the chassis will bend easier.

I would have considered running a second RHS under the main rail about 1500mm long and using 50x50x3mm RHS. Then attach the angle to the side as you have done but use angle that would be say 120x?x6mm. Naturally this will make the van 50mm higher which you may not want.
In my drawing I have only made the angel 300mm long but the longer the better.
Also if for some reason you find the balance of the van an issue with a bit more angle length you can move the IRS forward or back an inch or two and drill new mounting holes if your mud guards are larger enough to handle the wheels being moved.

Even if you don’t add the 50x50x3 strengtheners it would be better to have the angle longer to spread the force over a longer length of the chassis.

If you intend to stay on the good roads then probably not an issue, hope I have not put a spanner in the works.
IRS.jpg
JR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Luke,
Some options that you could fit later if required.
IRS 1.JPG
IRS 2.JPG
JR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JayDee
An old hand

Post by JayDee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Luke,
You are to be congratulated for taking on such a massive task.
I have no knowledge about how or where to start, hence the reason that Caravan Sales Yards are in business.
No doubt you will have total satisfaction when the wheels hit the black top. All the best
Jay&Dee

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Well J.REEVES I was not expecting that.A real big spanner in the works. You have put a heap of thought into a fix though and thanks very much, I think;) Iam very impressed, Engineer at your best. Now what do I do. I can understand your concern. I have already started to weld the angle and its a very penertrating weld. :???: The chassis is 75x50x3mm which is thicker then some manufactures. Leafs spring do have a greater distance apart but only have a contact area of around 50x70 at shackle end and the eye 50x 50. All this weight when you look at it is then transmitted through a 8-10 mm bolts. O decisions decisions. :(

Jay&Dee thanks. It has been one of those dreams which is starting to look like reality :D My family are busting to go out and explore this great country. Iam so looking forward to having those wheels roll into a park knowing that I built it. I did look at buying a van but I should have something for less then half the price and built the way I want it.

Cya Lukey.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Luke,
3mm thick is good, 75mm deep is OK for a van the length you are building so I don’t think there is an issue there.

On the difference between leafs and the IRS contact area weld strength that is not what the issue is it’s the support that both systems provide and where it is supporting the chassis and van weight.

I have attached another rough drawing to demonstrate what I am on about.
To try and understand I sometimes use the extreme to see if something will work or not so imagine you have a 75x50x3 RHS and it is about 6mtrs long now support the RHS in the centre with a bloke as does an IRS. With the same RHS support it with two blocks about 1mtr apart as does a leaf spring.
If you apply say 600Kgs on each end which system will bend the most? You should be able to see that the IRS has a much higher chance of bending more right at the point of contact and so a much higher chance of failure.

As your van should be light all the above may not be an issue and the 75x50x3 RHS and attached angle may well do the job.

Keep the dream going ever what you do will be better than a bought one.
Support.jpg
JR

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks agian for your help and effort JR. Iam glad we could clear it up though, so now its not as bad as it looks. :???:

Cya Lukey

Return to “DIY RVs”