Here's my 4.1 metres of caravan from scratch

lukeyslide
Confident

Re: Here's my 4.1 metres of caravan from scratch

Post by lukeyslide » Wed May 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Well I have been slack of late but I have finally finished my Management course so I can concentrate on more important things :razz:
Here's some more progress, this is the guides for the hand brake cable consisting of rope for the cable and some Cut offs for the axle placement. Axle is too heavy to lift alone

Iam hoping this will line up properly with the axle and cables. It was the first time I did anything by eye.

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Well I have had a couple of days off work and have actually been able to do something on the chassis. I was able to weld the plate for the coupler. A lot of mucking around to get it dead centre. Little knock hear and a tap there and its can be out a 1mm then I had to do it again. String line helped. I also capped the ends of the A frame.

Mock placing and end cap. Scrap piece of RHS and just got the bend right.

Tacked and centre.

Plate to A frame. Welder just started to run out of puff towards the end.

Inside weld in A frame V. Have never had to weld at this angle before but I think it worked out ok.

Heat Penetration.

End Cap. Couple plate welded to A frame and along the front. Then I welded the cap to the end and the plate.

Tacks in the corners to stop the plate falling in.

A piece of RHS scrape made to fit

Cap welded on and hole for heat to escape. It as harder then I thought to weld along the bottom without crossing the chassis rail.

Cya Lukey.

pedro2-5
On a roll

Post by pedro2-5 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Luke your welds are looking good .

robali
An old hand

Post by robali » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi Luke,
Looks good so far cant wait to see the van start to go on top of it.
Robert.

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi everyone good to see the forums is up and running again. Seemed every time I tried to log in it was not working.
pedro2-5 wrote:Luke your welds are looking good .
Thanks Peter. I wish I could have it finished a lot quicker like the production line you have at your place ;-)
robali wrote:Hi Luke,
Looks good so far cant wait to see the van start to go on top of it.
Robert.
Thanks Robert. Your not the only one :) My wife keeps looking at all these places to stay and then says "When the van is finished we will be able to go there, hurry up and finish it" I need more weekends at home.

Here's some more of what I've been up to. I was going to have the spare underneath the back but due to the low nature of the van Iam going to place a rear bar on the back like the pro's do and bolt it the that. At one stage I was not going to bother even with the rear bumper bar but my Wife suggested that she would hate to see it damaged. This is how Iam going to do it.

Not the neatest of my work, it was hard to get a nice square bend in the vice but it will work.

End result. I cut the excess metal off the top of the cut outs.

Saftey chain. Ended up putting two on A frame even though its not needed more is better.

Cya Lukey

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 pm

Hey Luke, keep up the good work. It’s starting to look “meaty” now. I know its too late now but just a thought on you bending the metal to fit into those cut-outs for your rear bar to mount on. Instead of making them yourself why did you not just cut a 100mm piece (or your required length) from some of your scrap RHS and then cut these in half again across the wider flat sides. You would have ended up with two perfectly bent U pieces 100mm x 50 mm to weld into your notches. Similar to what you did for your drop down stabilizer leg mounting brackets.

Also is your safety chain rated? I cannot see from the photos and hope it is. Each link should have a stamp on it to say what it is rated for.

Keep the build photos coming.

Cheers
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:07 pm

:lol:
Bussy wrote:Hey Luke, keep up the good work. It’s starting to look “meaty” now. I know its too late now but just a thought on you bending the metal to fit into those cut-outs for your rear bar to mount on. Instead of making them yourself why did you not just cut a 100mm piece (or your required length) from some of your scrap RHS and then cut these in half again across the wider flat sides. You would have ended up with two perfectly bent U pieces 100mm x 50 mm to weld into your notches. Similar to what you did for your drop down stabilizer leg mounting brackets.

Also is your safety chain rated? I cannot see from the photos and hope it is. Each link should have a stamp on it to say what it is rated for.

Keep the build photos coming.

Cheers
ALLAN
Thanks Allan for the late tip :roll: There are so many things what I would do differently if I had a chance but its all part of the experience worst still it was right in front of my face. That was a waste of a couple of frustrating hours let me tell you. But its done know. The Chain has the number on it and rated to 1600kg it is legit safety chain heres a pic

Speaking of frustrating I have had a bit of that of late. My enthusiasm for this build hit a low when I came to drill the holes for the IRS. This was one of those steps which made it getting closer to an end goal . I.e rolling chassis. But yet again right in front of my eyes which I did not see. Does anyone else notice??

The swing arm on the rebound or weighted will hit the angle on the chassis. I was very ticked off about this. Faced with either ordering a new axle, cutting the chassis down or grinding it. I could not believe this was happening. The axle was made to correct length but when asked over the phone what the distance was inside chassis rail to inside chassis rail then outside chassis rail to outside chassis rail, everything measured up right. But what I did not know was the clearance of swing arm from axle tube. In this case it was 6mm of rubber exposed at each end and would you know it, the angle is 6mm thick. One of those things. No matter how many questions, physical visits to show what you are doing you cant find out enough until its right in front of you. So after swearing at it for a while and weeks of phone calls even chewed J.REEVES ear off one day( thanks John ). John and I came to the decision to grind away the angle to allow clearance. So 5 grinding discs later and 4 hours of my time I ended up with this.

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com 3mm clearance. I was told 1mm will be ok but Iam not risking it.
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com heres what a lot of wasted metal now looks like.
ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com Looks better.
Anyway could have been worse. After all its only metal.

So with that out of the way I as able to do something that was planned like cable guides for the handbrake cable. A lot of vans I looked at did not have any guides and with time and usage would rub through the chassis which I did not want to happen. So I came up with this.

Will rub at contact points.

ImageA frame with 12mm 1.6 mm tube tacked in place.

Same size of tube just more fiddling for cross over to swing arm.

This should work just fine.
While I had the drop saw out I thought I'd make plates to which the floor would be riveted to underneath. These will be welded at the corners and centre beams.

ImageUploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.com]ImageShack.com[/URL
And guess what?? After cutting 8 of these and then tacking them in place to weld the angle it is not 45 degrees. Bloody drop saw is not right. Nothing like correcting them all with a bench grinder but it could be worse :lol: I did in the end get to drill my 4 holes as well. I brought 3 drill bits 8,10 and 13mm $50 later. Graduated the holes and when it came to the 13mm and drilling into 12mm steel the drill bit lasted about a minute and then went blunt. So I quickly learnt how to shapen drill bits.

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:46 pm

The wall will not be mounted on the floor. Instead I've choosen to mount them on angle around all sides. This will hide the chassis a lot better and hopefully will give the walls more support.
This is upside down and front wall. 25mm off the A frame so no flex is placed on the wall. I also reduced the pixel size sorry for making the previous uploads so big.

I did not really think this one though. The back wall support was going to be flush with the base of the chassis but like the front I forgot about the flex from the bumper bar so I raised it 25mm for clearance

Back wall will have more weight then the front so I made these little angles to help out. Very hard to cut with a drop saw but quicker then a hack saw.

Cya Lukey

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Hey Luke,
There are going to be heaps of traps for you to fall into after you decide to do this sort of project all by yourself. Don’t get disheartened or beat yourself up if something sneaks up on you and goes pear shaped. Just take pride in the fact you are actually doing it and overcome the problems one by one. Break the whole process down into tiny little problems and not think of it as one big headache. Solve one at a time and before you know it; it will be finished, and when it is, you will stand back and probably not remember the hard parts but you will be very satisfied with the overall achievement.
I am not trying to pick on your work (safety chain rating etc.) just trying to save you from any future problems "today" that you may not have thought about.
If I can offer anything just yell! You have a P.M.

Cheers
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

Saturn 5
Been here for a while

Post by Saturn 5 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:19 am

I'm late to tune in but I must say it looks good so far and your welding is beautiful to see. Pics are good and clear, could you post a shot of the whole chassis? I have quickly skipped thru your post but will digest it all v soon.
Your family will be proud as I'm sure the rest of the project will be just as good.

George W.

Return to “DIY RVs”