homemade van no 2

hawkie
An old hand

Re: homemade van no 2

Post by hawkie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:00 am

Bussy wrote:Hi PEDRO2-5, I’ve been watching your build thread too. Just my observation and thinking, those cross members being 50 x 50 x 1.5 mm are a bit on the light side given their span and particularly in the front section of your chassis where the draw bar is. The front couple of cross members will flex a lot given the draw bar has nothing substantial to “lean on”.
Cheers,
ALLAN
I agree and would personally use the same steel the main rails are made of for the front beam the draw bar sits on.

The upward flex will pop the front of your van
Sig can be done

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:45 pm

grinch wrote:g'day pedro, if you don't mind can i ask how much the monopan cost, pm me if you prefer. I'm looking at starting a very similar design to your in the next few months, i'm still toying up which way to go with the walls, i like the look of the vanglass product, its just a shame its so expensive, my other option was to go with a timber frame clad in either aluminium or fiberglass sheet.
From what I have found out Monopan is $130sq/m + GST and Vanglass is $350L/M at 2.4 width + GST which works out to be around $145sq/m not that much more. If you go timber its heavier but cheaper but will rot and the cladding is not cheap nor is the fibre sheeting I think its about $75sq/m at 3 mm thick. Then add build time on top of this.Bang for buck Monopan or Vanglass panel is the way to go. Less build time stronger, will not rot the list is endless.

pedro2-5
On a roll

Post by pedro2-5 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 am

Hi all , answering a few of your questions ,

the cross members .the first or end member is 50x50x3mm and the pic dosent show the gussets that strengthen the connection to the drawerbar and reduce any flex.

QLD rules for builbing trailers ,yes they are broard ,this can be both good and bad .for those of us with an engineering background there is no problem it makes it painless to get rego , but those without ??? a trailer can be built out of almost anythng and no one checks for structual integrity at the rego stage it all falls back on the builder..its up to the builder to make sure its bulilt so it dosent fly apart on the road and cause an accident

The floor is ply with a few more ally cross members under to reduce the flex and bounce . I wanted to use monopan but the budget didnt allow 5850mm sheet of 30mm cost almost $2000

more pics soon

pedro2-5
On a roll

Post by pedro2-5 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 am

Hi all , answering a few of your questions ,

the cross members .the first or end member is 50x50x3mm and the pic dosent show the gussets that strengthen the connection to the drawerbar and reduce any flex.

QLD rules for builbing trailers ,yes they are broard ,this can be both good and bad .for those of us with an engineering background there is no problem it makes it painless to get rego , but those without ??? a trailer can be built out of almost anythng and no one checks for structual integrity at the rego stage it all falls back on the builder..its up to the builder to make sure its bulilt so it dosent fly apart on the road and cause an accident

The floor is ply with a few more ally cross members under to reduce the flex and bounce . I wanted to use monopan but the budget didnt allow 5850mm sheet of 30mm cost almost $2000

more pics soon

pedro2-5
On a roll

Post by pedro2-5 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:56 am

up go the walls and roof .they will be glued and rivited with ally angle for added strength.the series of cuts in the underside of the roof are to allow it to follow the radius at the front .

Rob ,pics of the kitchen slide .there is rollers underneath and 2 on top about 500mm back from the door to allow the slide to canterleaver ouy without dropping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedro2-5
On a roll

Post by pedro2-5 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:16 am

the outside is almost done .now for the inside fitout and wiring lights, pumps, power outlets and solar ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lukeyslide
Confident

Post by lukeyslide » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Coming along nicely.You are not mucking around.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi Pedro,
Amazing how quick you are making your van and has a very nice look. The Monopan gives a good look and you won’t need to worry if you strike hail. Hail is an aluminium vans worst night mare.

Does light pass through the Monopan?

JR
:razz:

pedro2-5
On a roll

Post by pedro2-5 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Yep JR the light passes through . It needs to be lined with ply or dense carpet , I have used foam covered in a light weight carpet to line the roof

Bussy
An old hand

Post by Bussy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey Pedro, is she finised yet? Any updates & photos?
Cheers,
ALLAN
Computer Engineer. 200Series TTD Altitude SE with TAJ in tow.
Home built 21.6ft off-roader "The Taj Mah AL".
Steel Chassis, Simplicity Suspension, Aluminium Frame.
Paulownia Cabinetry, 800 W solar.
Its finished, now WE retire.

Return to “DIY RVs”