Jockey Wheel

millsy
Confident

Jockey Wheel

Post by millsy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:06 pm

As I have a crook back I am forever making myself aware of easier ways to do things to avoid a bad start to my holidays.
The pop top will have to go in favour of a full van first. Although I don't find this a huge problem.....yet :roll:

The dreaded WDH is my biggest problem (even with a back saver devise) Our rig is pretty level without it but can't bring myself around to give it a go as I have a feeling of vulnerability without it!
I know a lot don't use them! What do you reckon people :?:

Also can someone advise me why flip up jockey wheels don't get used as opposed to the clamp on type? It would also save a lot of boot room :!:
Millsy....Territory towing a Blue Sky pop top

embi
Been here for a while

Re: Jockey Wheel

Post by embi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:53 pm

We have ordered a trailer mate with our new van and I have just ordered one of these Trail-a-mate Cable Kits which means we can leave it on the van all the time.
'13 XTR BT50 Mazda.
'11 21ft Jayco Sterling. "the englands"
2 kids, 4 & 6,
Trying to start our retirement before we retire.

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi Millsy,
I cannot be sure but the swing up jockey wheels seem to be used more on light trailers. Caravans are generally reasonably heavy on the draw bar and the system used to support the swing up jockey wheel shaft may not be strong enough and is usually quite sloppy.

I personally would not like to be using a swing up jockey wheel when manually pulling my van sideways as it could end up on my feet. Could be OK just to support but not move. Sounds like with your back you would not need to move the van anyway.

Another point is adjustment range is limited you cannot clamp it at different heights.

JR
:oops:

hillbilly123
Cracked the big time

Post by hillbilly123 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:44 am

Telling what your rig is will get a response as to whether you need a WDH.

Personally I would never tow anything over about 1200kg without one.

I also have a bad back but if you connect it when the van is still lifted by the jockey wheel it is a lot easier.
In fact some times there is actually almost no pressure on the bars at all.

As long as you know which link to put it on do that then lower it.

millsy
Confident

Post by millsy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks for that info folks. In answer to "hillbilly 123" my van is a "Blue Sky" pop top approx 16' @ 1250kg tare, which is pretty light and yes I do leave it on the jockey prior to hitching up and unhitching which as you say makes a huge amount of difference to the weight and as the WDH is on a U type fixed coupling it is always on the same setting.

You are right Mr Reeves the ones I have seen are rather sloppy and the adjustments are minimal.

Will have a look into the "Trail-a-mate cable kit" embi.
Thanks 8-)

hillbilly123
Cracked the big time

Post by hillbilly123 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:07 pm

millsy wrote:Thanks for that info folks. In answer to "hillbilly 123" my van is a "Blue Sky" pop top approx 16' @ 1250kg tare, which is pretty light and yes I do leave it on the jockey prior to hitching up and unhitching which as you say makes a huge amount of difference to the weight and as the WDH is on a U type fixed coupling it is always on the same setting.

You are right Mr Reeves the ones I have seen are rather sloppy and the adjustments are minimal.

Will have a look into the "Trail-a-mate cable kit" embi.
Thanks 8-)

Tare dosnt matter its the LOADED WEIGHT THAT DOES

millsy
Confident

Post by millsy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:58 pm

1200kg tare was just used as a reference! Just add 300 - 350kg = max 1600kg :o

Return to “DIY RVs”