It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 My build/rebuild 

Post Re: My build/rebuild
Old Techo wrote:
Justin, all I am saying is you do not need to have waste pipes of that capacity in a caravan.

In a van the water flows both in and out are less than in a regular house kitchen. Once upon a time waste pipes were 2 inches or 50 mm. The rules changed before I installed my spa about 10 years ago and 40 mm was deemed enough. So here is my spa with a legal 40 mm drain and able to happily cope with emptying 300 litres.

When you are free camping water can be so precious you will be happy for waste to discharge through a drinking straw :lol:

Ah, OT.
the reason that Baths, including spas, changed to 40mm outlets was because we started connecting them to floor-waste gullies. Don't want to flood the floor-waste gullies, do we???. ;-)

Now to that much admired "S" trap.

Personally, I would lose it and replace it with a "HEPVO" valve and definitely install one on the low fixtures (shower) as they also act as a reflux valve. Don't want the sink filling the shower.

If the outlet hose doesn't have continuous fall there is a real risk of having an air-lock at the "S" trap and the sink may refuse to drain. :D

And finally, unless you have an open 50mm end to drain the solids will stay in the trap and be a PITA.

regards
Gerry

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:21 pm

masterplumber wrote:
Old Techo wrote:
Justin, all I am saying is you do not need to have waste pipes of that capacity in a caravan.

In a van the water flows both in and out are less than in a regular house kitchen. Once upon a time waste pipes were 2 inches or 50 mm. The rules changed before I installed my spa about 10 years ago and 40 mm was deemed enough. So here is my spa with a legal 40 mm drain and able to happily cope with emptying 300 litres.

When you are free camping water can be so precious you will be happy for waste to discharge through a drinking straw :lol:

Ah, OT.
the reason that Baths, including spas, changed to 40mm outlets was because we started connecting them to floor-waste gullies. Don't want to flood the floor-waste gullies, do we???. ;-)

Now to that much admired "S" trap.

Personally, I would lose it and replace it with a "HEPVO" valve and definitely install one on the low fixtures (shower) as they also act as a reflux valve. Don't want the sink filling the shower.

If the outlet hose doesn't have continuous fall there is a real risk of having an air-lock at the "S" trap and the sink may refuse to drain. :D

And finally, unless you have an open 50mm end to drain the solids will stay in the trap and be a PITA.

regards
Gerry

Gerry thanks for the advice

I do have more than 1:50 fall from the shower drain. There is a T junction point where the sink pipes and the shower pipes meet and this flows directly into the top of the grey water tank.

There is continuous fall at every point and I have a flush valve and a 50mm outlet valve for clearing the pipes.

I considered installing a one way valve type setup but didn't feel it was necessary given the use of 50mm piping.

I still need to install a couple of support brackets to the underside pipe work in case of any bush bashing!

Awning supports tomorrow and have to find somewhere to buy the rope track double flanged alloy from at this time of year!

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Outdoor table made!

I've sealed the whole underside front!

Shower curtain installed. No door for this trip.

Awning Sunday.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Table looks good young fella :)

Can those sticking-up latches be parked out of the way?

May I suggest some soft plastic tubing over the chains so they can't swing and scratch the table when travelling.

The what seems like bare wood may need protection from food/drink splashes and especially from cooking chops if a small BBQ or camp stove is used on the table. Lamb chops make a terrible splattering oily mess around a hotplate.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:46 pm

Justme wrote:
Thanks JR

So suggestions for insurance (qld) and how I go about getting a DIY setup insured?

Hi Justin,
Yes insurance it is a bit of a minefield.

CIL will insure homemade vans and another name for homemade is custom built.

10 years ago before you could get your van insured and is probably still the case now you needed the van weighed, gas ticket and electrical ticket in some states plus proof of cost to build then registered first then take it to someone to get it valued. Some caravan yards have people that will do it and some don’t want to know you. I think it cost me about $50.00 to get a valuation done. They usually try and place a value on your van similar to a van they sell with a similar setup.
Once it is registered and valued you can then get an insurance quote. There are very few companies that will insure a homemade van, I did have a couple of other insurance company names but have lost the list. I did move my insurance to GIO after a couple of years being insured with CIL but originally GIO would not insure a homemade van but once it was insured with another company they would take it on if you had house and car insurance with them.

So you may need to drive around a bit to get the van weighed to get it registered then to get it valued and then finally insured and the insurance company will not give you a cover note for a van that is not registered.

Just to make OT happy, I still like your plumbing and ‘S’ bends!
I have rented vehicles overseas with HEPVO valves and still had some odours coming back from the grey water tank never had this happen with an ‘S’ bend. Also best to keep as much plumbing inside as possible as anything under the van will soon or later get damaged.
I have the shower drain via its own homemade water trap into the grey water tank and the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink all drain separately into the grey water tank so you have no issues with back feed.

Keep up the good work,
JR

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Old Techo wrote:
Table looks good young fella :)

Can those sticking-up latches be parked out of the way?

May I suggest some soft plastic tubing over the chains so they can't swing and scratch the table when travelling.

The what seems like bare wood may need protection from food/drink splashes and especially from cooking chops if a small BBQ or camp stove is used on the table. Lamb chops make a terrible splattering oily mess around a hotplate.

Plan is to seal and paint the timber as you suggest to protect it.

Tubing over the chains is a good idea if I can get it to bend ok. I'll look into it.

Nothing I can do about the latches. Wasn't what I had hoped for but is what it is.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 pm

J.REEVES wrote:
Justme wrote:
Thanks JR

So suggestions for insurance (qld) and how I go about getting a DIY setup insured?

Hi Justin,
Yes insurance it is a bit of a minefield.

CIL will insure homemade vans and another name for homemade is custom built.

10 years ago before you could get your van insured and is probably still the case now you needed the van weighed, gas ticket and electrical ticket in some states plus proof of cost to build then registered first then take it to someone to get it valued. Some caravan yards have people that will do it and some don’t want to know you. I think it cost me about $50.00 to get a valuation done. They usually try and place a value on your van similar to a van they sell with a similar setup.
Once it is registered and valued you can then get an insurance quote. There are very few companies that will insure a homemade van, I did have a couple of other insurance company names but have lost the list. I did move my insurance to GIO after a couple of years being insured with CIL but originally GIO would not insure a homemade van but once it was insured with another company they would take it on if you had house and car insurance with them.

So you may need to drive around a bit to get the van weighed to get it registered then to get it valued and then finally insured and the insurance company will not give you a cover note for a van that is not registered.

Just to make OT happy, I still like your plumbing and ‘S’ bends!
I have rented vehicles overseas with HEPVO valves and still had some odours coming back from the grey water tank never had this happen with an ‘S’ bend. Also best to keep as much plumbing inside as possible as anything under the van will soon or later get damaged.
I have the shower drain via its own homemade water trap into the grey water tank and the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink all drain separately into the grey water tank so you have no issues with back feed.

Keep up the good work,
JR

I am registered weighed and certified. So I'll call CIL and see what they can do. Thank you mate.

So far the pipes are good I'll wait to see how it goes after 500km down the the east coast in a week!

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Justme wrote:
Tubing over the chains is a good idea if I can get it to bend ok. I'll look into it.

If it is a bit stiff cut it in half at the bending point.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Justme wrote:
Outdoor table made!

I've sealed the whole underside front!

Shower curtain installed. No door for this trip.

Awning Sunday.

Mate, bolt a vice on it and you have got a workbench, for any roadside repairs. :D

How about the locks they use on the ally ute tool boxes?

They swing sideways and perhaps you could find a half dome sort of cover.

For the chains, you could try some pipe lagging, but clear tube would look better. Use a length of good wire to pull the chain through the tube and it will flatten to suit the links if required.

Gerry

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Pretty much ready now. Test drive tomorrow. Friday it's camping time.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next