Weight distribution bars

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
GerryP
An old hand

Re: Weight distribution bars

Post by GerryP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Mate, I've been avoiding commenting on this, but if you're referring to me then I'm afraid you've got it totally ass about. My reading of your post was in error - I made a wrong assumption, which I acknowledged, apologised for and moved on and that should have been the end of it. My motives were not intended to do anything but try to be helpful. Read any number of my posts and you will find that I'm no keyboard warrior, troll or trouble maker. I believe in friendliness first and like Frank, I too have given up on other forums due to the lack of respect for other members and their opinions.

If I rubbed you the wrong way, then I apologise once again... case closed as far as I'm concerned, let's all just move on.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

Lance
Rising star

Post by Lance » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Come on chaps, let's not allow this place to go the way of others.
Forget the bitchiness and discuss the topic....... 8-)
Lance & Anne
......always on the lookout for places & dates for Folk/Blues Music Festivals

SLWB HiAce Campervan
600kg home build TearDrop Camper

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Yes Lance..... a pity that we had our rare bit of whinging in Collyn's first tech thread. Not a great intro to the 'friendly forum' :roll:

However all seems settled now :D

The explanations and advice given here though may not bear fruit as the OP has not been back since he posted on Aug 23. Hopefully he is just too involved preparing his new rig :)
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Collyn
Avid poster

Post by Collyn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Tripping Away

A margin of understeer is necessary for stability. This has been understood and accepted since 1934.

Re: reducing tyre pressure my post clearly noted that I refer to the tow vehicle.
Collyn
The problem is not what people do not know, it is what they think they know that simply isn't true.

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:07 pm

I recon those that got all demanding and hurt due a small misunderstanding ought to give the Op a little slack. None of this has deserved the some times poor attitude it received. Even to the point of asking for creds and doubting who the OP is.
Did any one look up his info on signing up....

Username:
Collyn
I'm new, be nice!
So why not just let the matter drop? I reckon for a first post we haven't been exactly welcoming. I am certain that the forum would appreciate an expert member.

You know I have given all sorts of info on plumbing etc. and not once have I been asked for my credentials. :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:16 pm

dieseltojo wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:07 pm
You know I have given all sorts of info on plumbing etc. and not once have I been asked for my credentials. :)
You got credentials? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Tripping Away
An old hand

Post by Tripping Away » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Collyn wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:49 pm
Tripping Away

A margin of understeer is necessary for stability. This has been understood and accepted since 1934.

Re: reducing tyre pressure my post clearly noted that I refer to the tow vehicle.
Collyn
Thankyou Collyn for the clarification, I made a typo too.

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:23 pm

I do have creds OT. Just a bit hard to prove that all. I was the roll monitor at Dandy Tech school. The reason I got the job was that my older brother told me to put my hand up as a volunteer.

The cunning devil knew that you were allowed to go through the main corridor to present the attendance sheets. All the rest of the neer do wells had to trudge around the building.

Plumbing creds......that's a bit hard too.... :) But i suspect that being a techo you may well have had the plumbing knowledge covererd in your first year, and have just been tolerating my alleged skills. :lol:

When I got my official plumbing license from the MMBW ( Melb Metropolitan Board of Works) The bloke said "now forget everything yo have learned"....You will learn more in the next year than your whole apprenticeship.
I now have to note that I cannot accept ownership, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Mick themungrel
Been here for a while

Post by Mick themungrel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Con Mulvehill wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 am
Hi guys, We have just purchased Avane aspire 587-1 empty weight of 1825kg, We tow with prado 2500kg tow capacity. Van has ball weight of 140kg. Question is do I use weight distribution bars, have driven with and without, and drive with was much smoother, but have read that WDB could make towing vans with lighter tow ball weight unsafe. Any advice. Cheers.
Above is the first post in this thread.
I reckon those that got all demanding and hurt due a small misunderstanding ought to give the Op a little slack. None of this has deserved the some times poor attitude it received. Even to the point of asking for creds and doubting who the OP is.
Somewhere along the line the OP has been attributed to Collyn, who to the best of my knowledge is Collyn Rivers.

I dont spend a lot of time here, but if the posts here continue along the lines of some in this thread I will be spending even less.
Mick themungrel
TravellersChat Admin
v
v

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:26 pm

I won't bother discussing the other BS that started earlier in the thread

Collyn,
A question pure and simple
Are you saying that a WDH is not necessarily needed, if not when should one be used?

I have always found that using mine gives better handling (although none of my rigs have ever been unstable, even my 1980 songbird with the box on the back that you and I had a lengthy PM conversation about around 8 years ago)
The van I have now is a tandem Jayco that has had an ATM upgrade and is quite steady at 1800+kg loaded with 185kg ball weight but I feel has better handling with the WDH
Putting the van on takes 135kg off the front wheels and the WDH puts 90kg back

I haven't done the weights since recently fitting super springs to the ute to compensate for the weight in the back of the ute

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”