Is adblu good to live with?

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Queensmanian
Been here for a while

Is adblu good to live with?

Post by Queensmanian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Regulars here might realise that I have been procrastinating over the purchase of a new tow vehicle for some time. Mux, Trailblazer, and Everest have been given our attention, with RWD the logical option for us. Today I discovered that the Everest requires use of adblu.

What has been your experience with this technology?

Gerry M
An old hand

Re: Is adblu good to live with?

Post by Gerry M » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Sounds like life is becoming complicated.

have a squiz at this https://techmax.ca/adblue.htm
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:28 pm

I was fortunate when I bought my Ranger that it only had a DPF and no Adblu. However, from what I've read it really isn't much of an issue as it injects very small amounts and the tank only needs topping up occasionally. I don't have first hand experience, but I believe you get a fair warning when it's running low and topping up is only a minor inconvenience, either at a bowser or you can carry some with you if you prefer.

I'm sure someone here who uses Adblu will be along shortly... :)
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

Scotty
On a roll

Post by Scotty » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:03 am

It won't be long before most if not all diesels will require adblue to meet emissions, generally a full adblue tank will last between services (10,000km plus) but as Gerry says I'd carry a small bottle in the vehicle just in case.

If you run out of adblue whilst driving the engine will keep running but if you turn it off you cannot restart the engine till adblue is added.
Scotty (Kim)

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 am

Would be better than a DPF. A friend of mine has a Jaguar diesel SUV, they use adblue and he got 15,000kms before he needed more adblue.

JR
:razz:

GerryP
An old hand

Post by GerryP » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm

JR I think you'll find that you end up with both, like the Ford Everest. In Europe most diesels now come with both already.
Cheers, Gerry
2017 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
2018 New Age Manta Ray 18'

rnayler
I'm new, be nice!

Post by rnayler » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:56 am

I have been driving and towing with an Everest since 2015. No problem at all. Usage depends on how hard it's working but on average I get about 12 - 13K from a tank before the warning comes on the dash display. You get this warning at about 2500km to empty so you get plenty of time to refill.

The tank holds approx 18 litre and is about $1 per litre if bought from a bowser.

Mick themungrel
Been here for a while

Post by Mick themungrel » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 am

Adblue is no drama to live with. More and more service stations have Adblue bowsers and the cost seems to be usually 99.9c's. I was in another life driving trucks that had Adblue and had no problems, just had to remember to fill up the Adblue before it got to low, which would cause the engine to derate.
Mick themungrel
TravellersChat Admin
v
v

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”