Izusu M-UX

Post here for discussion on model specific Tugs
Queensmanian
Been here for a while

Re: Izusu M-UX

Post by Queensmanian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:18 pm

The D-max has leaf rear springs, whilst the M-UX has coil rears. This might explain the lower towing capacity of the M-ux. Three tonne is more than adequate for our present or any future van. We want a wagon style body rather than a ute, and my wife suffers osteo arthritis and wants the smoothest ride possible, which I imagine coil spring rears would provide .(?)
I want manual, not auto.
We visited the Hobart Dealer again today, and they say they have a manual coming in a few weeks. We have not driven an M-UX of any kind yet.
I want to drive it to see whether it can be driven on a solid surface in low range, as I have found our old Jackaroo to be able to use this feature, which is great for starting on steep hills, and for parking a van on site at ultra low speed.
Whilst I sincerely appreciate peoples kind advice, I dont want suggestions on the merits of auto gearboxes, but please tell me about any other M-UX features, good or otherwise.
Thanks,
Jeff

Col n Chris
Confident

Post by Col n Chris » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi Guys,
As a possible replacement for my current tow vehicle, the Isuzu is at the moment my 1st preference.
Isuzu do not recommend or endorse the use of weight distribution hitches.
I presume some owners are ignoring this advice and using a WDH regardless but what are your experiences with either towing with or without WDH.
As an example my caravan ball weight is approx 230kg.
Thanks,
Col
'09 Kia Sorento EX-L 2.5l CRDi
Jayco Sterling 20.64-2

PeterD
Cracked the big time

Post by PeterD » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 pm

In that case do not use their tow bar. Have a Hayman Reese model fitted, they are OK to use WDH.
PeterD
Retired radio & electronics technician -
Nissan Navara D40 diesel auto (pensioners pack) towing a Spaceland pop-top

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:02 am

As far as a manual version is concerned be careful that the first gear is not to tall and with a load you have to do a lot of clutch slipping to take off. Since the removal of asbestos from clutches they don't have the life they used to have hence the moving towards autos.
Using low range on a flat surface is OK but don't try to turn or go to far as you get transmission windup and they can be difficult to get out of low range especially now they are motor driven. Your Jackaroo would have had FWH now they are only a memory however Dmax and Mux can be retrofitted with FWH (which is what I have done, ironically from a wrecked Jackaroo). Additionally you have to stop any vehicle to get out of low range.
There has been some pics around that show cracking of the Mux hitch receiver when using a WDH so stay away from Isuzu towbars if you want to fit a WDH.

Gerry M
An old hand

Post by Gerry M » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Engel wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:02 am

There has been some pics around that show cracking of the Mux hitch receiver when using a WDH so stay away from Isuzu towbars if you want to fit a WDH.
I think that you might be thinking of the Prado cast steel receivers Engel.
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Gerry M wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:09 pm
Engel wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:02 am

I think that you might be thinking of the Prado cast steel receivers Engel.
No I'm not.
I'll see if i can find the pics.

Gerry M
An old hand

Post by Gerry M » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:13 pm

OK I will be the devil's advocate.

But Fred always used them :mrgreen:
2015 Isuzu MU-X LST
16 Ft Billabong Grove

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:21 pm

Here they are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Gerry M wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:13 pm
OK I will be the devil's advocate.

But Fred always used them
Did Fred have an Isuzu towbar?

Engel
Cracked the big time

Post by Engel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:51 pm

This is the attached text from a facebook forum.
Using Weight Distribution Hitches with the Isuzu MU-X

A few weeks ago, we discovered some cracks in our MU-X's towbar. We aren’t sure how long they‘ve been there, but the rust says a fair while (on that note, we had electric rust protection installed. As I’ve learned; doesn’t work...).
As we were due for the 40,000km service, we took the car in to an Isuzu dealer and requested they check the towbar during the service.
The first thing they told us was that we were probably towing too much. Our van is typically around the 2800kg mark, with a ball weight of 250kg. Neither of these exceeds the limit of the MU-X, nor the Hayman Reese towball/tongue, which is rated to 265kg.
We argued these points, so they then changed their reasoning to say it may have been the WDH bars we use. After all, Isuzu do say on their website that they "cannot recommend or endorse the use of a WDH..." An old post on Facebook where someone contacted Isuzu about this says Isuzu may not fulfil warranty claims if a WDH is used.
Okay, but we continued to argue our point, and they changed their minds a third time, saying excessive force has been applied from underneath. That sounded reasonable, seeing as the cracks were on the bottom of the towbar, not the top as if too much downwards weight had been applied. But, how is so much force applied from underneath? The WDH?
To them, this makes the most sense, but we eventually began the process of contacting customer service as we were not pleased with this explanation. Sadly, they stuck with their points, and have told us they can’t repair under warranty. So far that’s how the story goes. We’re still trying, so any tips would be great.
So a few things I’d like to check. Do you use WDH when towing? Is there any cracking/damage on your towbar? Ours was fitted by Isuzu when we purchased the car last year.
And of course, be prepared to pay your way if anything happens to your towbar and you use WDH

Return to “Towing Vehicles (Tugs)”