home made stone stompers or I got bored on the week end

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas - words are good but images are GREAT!
Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: home made stone stompers or I got bored on the week end

Post by Frank & Brenda » Fri May 09, 2014 7:14 pm

Good stuff Peter, well done

Feels good making your own and saving a bundle doesn't it

your idea is simpler than mine, good one

Frank

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Fri May 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Well move over Frank. I thought yours was good but Peter come along and made it even simpler. Peters design is so simple it makes the Stone Stomper look over engineered.
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

Dove
Avid poster

Post by Dove » Fri May 16, 2014 3:07 pm

Currently sitting in Renmark. Frank's mud flaps are definitely better than mine. Drove from Melb to Ouyen and some time between Charlton and Ouyen both flaps on my system slit themselves from the sides near the tow bar across to around the rear of the car's mud flaps and then peeled off. Between Ouyen and Renmark the left flap destroyed its self completely and the right side seemed ok.

I have removed what was left of the right flap and the cross bar is now tied to the van rear bumper for transport home. I'll now try and find some cheap truck flaps and have one more go at this thing.

Back to the drawing board. I really thought 5mm thick heavy duty rubber sheet would be adequate.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri May 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Not sure what you mean by slit themselves. Did they tear away from the screws along the top?
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

dieseltojo
Major contributor

Post by dieseltojo » Sat May 17, 2014 4:31 pm

I reckon it's the rubber wrecking itself.
We used to get old conveyor belt stuff when I worked in the Latrobe Valley, but hard to get in the city.
Best bet may be a couple of truck mud flaps. There are stores that cater just to trucks like "Truck Bits".

Just don't let the truckie catch you.... :)
I now have to note that I cannot accept owners ship, truth, quality, or veracity, of articles I may quote off the internet.
1929 Pop Top
Paul & Trudy. Plumber & Plumberess

Dove
Avid poster

Post by Dove » Sun May 18, 2014 8:45 am

Yes OT they peeled along the bar beneath the screws and then a straight separation along the vertical grooves. Maybe I should have added a full length plate instead of large washers. Now in Peterborough SA, cloudy day. Next stop Flinders Ranges.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Sun May 18, 2014 9:03 am

OK Dove, that is what I was half-expecting. As you drive the flaps blow back/forth hinging on the screws. They constantly move about and fatigue sets in.

In my design I mentioned placing my flaps on the front side of the bar. I forget to mention that I also used some 15 x 15 x 3 mm angle aluminium as a clamping bar over the full width of the flap and held in place by screws into the main bar.

I was concerned about the flap tearing away and decided that even using some flat bar in lieu large washers would not be good enough as it provides so little clamping between screws. The angle however is much more rigid and more effectively spreads the clamping effect of the screws.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Sun May 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Old Techo wrote:OK Dove, that is what I was half-expecting. As you drive the flaps blow back/forth hinging on the screws. They constantly move about and fatigue sets in.

In my design I mentioned placing my flaps on the front side of the bar. I forget to mention that I also used some 15 x 15 x 3 mm angle aluminium as a clamping bar over the full width of the flap and held in place by screws into the main bar.

I was concerned about the flap tearing away and decided that even using some flat bar in lieu large washers would not be good enough as it provides so little clamping between screws. The angle however is much more rigid and more effectively spreads the clamping effect of the screws.

Mine failed in the same sort of way (I have a long piece of flat holding each mat) I can't move the flaps to the font of the tube as it will make it too difficult to fill the LPG, I hope the truck flaps will hold out

Dove, if you can, then relocate the flaps to the front of the bar, maybe better

Dove
Avid poster

Post by Dove » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:27 pm

I've just fitted a new set. I purchased real truck flaps from Wagga Wagga Tractors on Ebay. They are much stronger in section around the edges. We are off to Longreach via Cobar and Bourke tomorrow. Hopefully they will keep the mud and cow manure off the van. I'll post a photo if they are still intact when we get home.

Dove
Avid poster

Post by Dove » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:49 pm

Nearly home now and the flaps have held together perfectly. They have stopped some of the mud, cow manure, and bits of kangaroo from hitting the van. Unfortunately, they don't stop it all. Seems some of the crud sprays off the wheels, flys out around the outside edge of the flap, and sucks back in on to the van.

Can't make the cross beam for the flaps any wider as it would stick out past the width of the Territory. If I'm going to do any more extensive dirt road, or go further north on developmental roads, I think I will have to invest in the real Stone Stomper.

Return to “PICS - unsung inventions & ideas”