home made stone stompers or I got bored on the week end

Share your inventions, innovations & ideas - words are good but images are GREAT!
Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Re: home made stone stompers or I got bored on the week end

Post by Frank & Brenda » Tue May 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Thank you for the support from those who have seen the "stone stomper' and those who haven't,

I was a trained RAAF Stewart, dining room, room and bar service
I worked with my Father in his cake shop doing cake decorating for 2 years
I have worked in a servo and pubs
I was a groundsman/maintenance man in schools for over 15 years
I am, at present, a professional coach driver
I am NOT a professional welder, I learnt welding at school over 40 years ago,
my welds do not win any beauty contests, but none have failed under load
I put this thread up to show, what I made and maybe give someone else the idea and push they need to have a go at making their own.
Take from it what you will, copy my design if you want to.
I'm happy with it and really, I'm the only one who has to be.
If you want to criticise, go for it, you make a better one, and put it here for people to compare, I, will still like mine best

Frank

Keith & Maggie
Been here for a while

Post by Keith & Maggie » Wed May 07, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks Frank; that's exactly how I plan on doing mine.
Yep never been 'trained' at school to weld; but in 30+ years never had a weld crack/let go etc.
I usually tack first and check all is good. Then weld and grind / paint etc.
Mine will be on the back off the Triton.

Thanks for photos.

Cheers
Keith
Seeyatamorra

TRITON GLXR 4X4 TWINCAB UTE
GEIST XK 485 CARAVAN
http://www.seeyatamorra.blogspot.com/

Cyclone
Rising star

Post by Cyclone » Wed May 07, 2014 10:17 am

You did a great job Frank. You also showed us how simple it is to make a stone stomper yourself. The designe is fairly simple. I don't see why the commercially made one are so expensive.
Cyclone

Nissan Y62 TI Patrol.
Crusader D-Lite

J.REEVES
Rising star

Post by J.REEVES » Wed May 07, 2014 10:57 am

Hi Frank,
Nice looking job and does not matter what the weld looks like, as you say you have never had a failure. Actually some good welds are because the person doing the weld is good with a grinder. I remember my first MIG weld very nice looking but one hit with my 4lb hammer and it failed.

Anyway I made up a similar big mud flap across the back of my faithful old 60 Series and headed off up the Oodnadatta track and latter on across the Gulf from Roper Bar to Burketown.
Ended up leaving it somewhere near the Cox River seemed to pick up as many stoners as it stopped.

Hope yours works better than mine.

JR
:razz:

Dove
Avid poster

Post by Dove » Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 am

Bugger, I've just spent $30 to buy rubber to make a set of big mud flaps. By the way these things are closer to Rock Tamers, not a Stone Stomper that is a horizontal mesh mat stretched from under the van draw bar to the back of the tow vehicle. If these flaps don't work I'll invest in a real Stone Stomper.

Frank & Brenda
Major contributor
Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)12 Mistubishi Triton, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop

Post by Frank & Brenda » Thu May 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Mate, make yur big mudflaps and show us here, they might just work as well as the tamers

Dove
Avid poster

Post by Dove » Fri May 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Frank, here they are if I can load a photo. The bar is 1.8 metres of 20mm box section aluminium, 3mm wall thickness, $15. The flaps 5mm rubber with corrugated surface to help reduce water spray. Off cut $30 from Clark Rubber. One Ubolt to clamp bar to tow bar goose neck $5. Plus screws and washers.

We are off next week to the Flinders Rangers so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how effective it is.

Thanks for the ideas
Peter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Techo
Over 10 kay Club

Post by Old Techo » Fri May 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Peter, looks very neat :)

Where does you exhaust pipe exit?

I had an issue with my flaps. They are synthetic marine carpet and vulnerable to heat, as you will see here... http://candm.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 33#p161233

After I built my complex articulated stone skirt on the van the last thing I did was make the flaps for the tug. Exhaust heat never crossed my mind - till I found a hole on my first test drive that I videoed with a camera on the van. The heat could be seen gradually burning a hole in the tug flap as well as the leading edge of the van skirt.

The other thing I worried about was stones hitting the steel bar holding the flaps and pinging back to the tug so I put my flaps on the forward side of the bar.
Regards, Old Techo
2007 Prado Grande Diesel Auto
2004 Roadstar Limited Edition

muzz_on_line
An old hand

Post by muzz_on_line » Fri May 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi Peter,

That looks like one of the neatest and simplest installs. Well done.

Is it just the U bolt on the hitch that is supporting it?

If the 20 mm square tube looks like it is beginning to bow over time, I would suggest adding a 90 degree angle section along the top for added strength.

Your effort looks great.

Let us know how it performs.

Muzz

Dove
Avid poster

Post by Dove » Fri May 09, 2014 5:24 pm

OT & Muz, thanks for the replies.

The exhaust points down and is below the bumper skirt. The cross bar for the flaps mounts on top of the tow hitch goose neck. There is a few inches of clearance between the flap and exhaust pipe where they cross so hoping not too much heat.

Yes, just a Ubolt under the goose neck running thru the cross bar. There is very little clearance with the Ford hitch that is all I could get in. The whole thing isn't that heavy so hopefully wont drop. More likely to crack being Ali.

I'll post progress after we get to the Flinders.

Return to “PICS - unsung inventions & ideas”