View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ants in caravan 

Post Ants in caravan
Reading forum for a while but I have not seen this topic discussed, currently touring in van from Sydney now in Broome and have a problem with ants in caravan.
Have tried ant powder around the four stabilisers, ant rid and insect spray(not surface spray) but they still keep coming in.
Any suggestions

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Post Re: Ants in caravan
Hi Robyn,
We carry & use a cheap brand of talcum powder and cover anything that could be a access point for ants, tyres, stabilizers,elec. cords, hoses, around base of poles etc. This seems to work for us. But once they are inside you certainly would need some kind of insecticide to rid your self of them, I think they will just be very happy to travel with you munching on all your sweet supplies. Good Luck J

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 am

Try an insect bomb! Set it going, leave for the day and return for happy hour without the company of ants; maybe?
glanyard

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:50 am

glanyard wrote:
Try an insect bomb! Set it going, leave for the day and return for happy hour without the company of ants; maybe?
glanyard

BUT MAKE SURE THE FRIDGE IS NOT RUNNING ON GAS.or you will get rid of more than just the ants. :o
Best thing to get rid of them is Crawley Cruncher, surface spray. :D

We use it in the van and around the house and it works great. :D

Http://www.travellerschat.proboards.com/index.cgi

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:34 am
Profile WWW

Just make sure that they are actually coming from outside and have not made a nest somewhere in the van. There's lots of nooks and crannies and wall spaces for them to settle in - it has happened to us and also to others I know of.

We found the best way to get rid of them is good ol' AntRid. Might take a few days, but leave it out where the ants seem to trail and they will eventually disappear.

Good luck

Gerry

Member VKS737 - mobile 3535

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Great advise GerryP
We had the same problems several years ago, The child bride put out same sort of ant baits, all good but the little buggers lasted from FNQ to Jindabyn

Cheers Lindsay

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Location: Aldinga Beach SA (in the Fleurieu peninsula)99 Mistubishi Challenger, 1996 J-co DISCOVERY 18' poptop
using another extract from this years log

An hour or so later I cooked a chow mien for tea and as we were almost finished spotted a bull ant on the kitchen wall, then another and another, a closer look revealed a number of them coming out from behind the range hood a cupboard, the smell of the food must have brought them out, we then spent the next hour or so pulling everything out of the cupboard spraying, air and surface spay to kill all the ants, then wiping the cupboards and cleaning the contents before putting it all back, we had picked up the infestation at the caravan park where we had spent the last 3 nights, there was a bull ants nest not fat from us on the levy and as I had sprayed the caravan legs with surface spray, didn’t think too much about an invasion, a lovely day with not such a lovely finish, but a lesson learned.
9th May
I didn’t want to take the chance of having some left over stowaways left so, after breakfast I turned off the 12 volt power, disconnected the batteries and went to work on removing the range hood, luckily I did because we found more bull ants, over 100 over them at a rough guess, some were dead but quite a few were groggy from the surface spray but very much alive, I took the range hood outside and finished them off while Brenda took care of the ones in the van, after the clean up, I replaced the range hood and turned the power back on and we headed off into Echuca.

We picked these little buggers up in a CP in Vic, they were everywhere, first make sure they are not stow aways, then spray the underneath of the van including the A-frame, jockey wheels and stabaliser feet, with a good surface spray, and repeat every couple of weeks
Frank

BLOGS
http://www.adelaidetoperthviadarwin.blogspot.com
http://www.tassietour.blogspot.com
http://thewesternadventure.blogspot.com/

Also member of Travellers chat

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Crawley Cruncher is the answer. It is without doubt the best. Be aware that the anys may have nested in your van and be travelling out and back rather than coming from outside. Try to find the source in the van.

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Location: Charters Towers QLD, 2005 Landcruiser HDJ79, 1996 Pheonix Nomad 23'
A fellow vanner once told me to put pieces of rubber, ie conveyor belt under stabilizer legs etc, have not tried it myself, but he reckoned it works, worth a shot I suppose.
John

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:53 am

You can buy Ant Rid in little plastic traps. We placed them in various locations in the van and over a few weeks they disappeared.

Cheers CHONGA

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next